What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
IMO the UFC have to seriously look into his camp.

missing his weight THAT badly usually means a miscalculation somewhere in his camp. either way... he's responsible for it.

im thinking maybe he was sick very late in the camp... and wasnt able to cut like he usually does...

if there aren't any special circumstances behind it... rumble should be cut immediately following the fight... thats just pathetic from him.

Agreed. 12 pounds is ridiculous. Johnson's camp/gym is world class. Time to look directly at the individual.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
He apparently was weighing around 191 night before weight in. Only had 5 more to cut, then became ill and needed fluids put straight back in. To me it seems like his body isn't likin the big weigh cuts. Maybe middleweight is still to much after years of ridiculous cuts to WW.

AJ should fight at LHW seriously if the weight cutting causes problem to his body I expect Vitor to KTFO AJ and for Dana White to cut him straight afterwards. This is the 3rd time he missed weight, 3 times you out in my view.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Rare to be happy when a pick of mine loses. The whole weigh in drama did it for me. Johnson has no respect for the UFC and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Long time Belfort fan. Happy he got it done.

Now, Mendes for the upset.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
King Aldos. You watch that fight and wonder HOW you can tip against him! :lol: Brilliant take down defence signalled upset wasn't likely. Lethal kicking. Great knee. Worst day at the office in a while tipping UFC. But loved every minute of it, especially Belfort win.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Ha ha been like that the last few cards for me chip. Tipped nothing but enjoyed everything!
The few leg kicks he landed did damage to. Brilliant performance

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Yeah, those leg kicks were brutal. Similar game plan he had against Mendes training partner Faber. His take down defence was first class. It was the trigger for me that this wasn't going to go well for Mendes. I believe the game plan was the right one, some of us (myself included) forgot / failed to recognise that Aldo is one of greats and should have had more respect.

Highlight was Belfort. Long time MMA fans just love this guy - I am one of them. Hated tipping against him though as I said earlier, happy to be proven WRONG. Johnson needs to be cut from UFC tonight. Dana White I am confident will do as much.

UFC brings it time and time again. Best MMA in the world and you buy a PPV knowing you will have something to talk about that isn't controversial endings, BS judges decisions etc. Love it.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Yeah found it strange that the reigning champ wasn't a clear cut Favourites in his one like I thought he should be. Dude is truly one of the elite on the planet and mendes has only shown good wrestling.

Yeah rumble has to go, rubbish performance and it was great to see vitor get the win via sub as well. Vitor is so confident and won this after being out muscled and taking decent hits from the guard.
Yeah this card had everything, dodgy ending, champ being chaired on the shoulders of the crowd, highlight reel wheel kick knock out and the atmosphere from the chanting was great. Definitly more intense than the last brazil event.

Sonnen/silva 2 has to happen in brazil, be amazing to watch

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Actually I probably haven't given mendes much props for what his shown so far. Obviously a stud wrestler and great athlete just always thought aldo was better and more complete.

Mendes/Korean zombie would be sweet match up.

Also how brutal is paulhares on the ground. He has to be a danger for most of the big boys in middleweight division. Take him down and he'll rip your leg off.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Actually I probably haven't given mendes much props for what his shown so far. Obviously a stud wrestler and great athlete just always thought aldo was better and more complete.

Mendes/Korean zombie would be sweet match up.

Also how brutal is paulhares on the ground. He has to be a danger for most of the big boys in middleweight division. Take him down and he'll rip your leg off.

Not too harsh, it's a fair criticism on Mendes. He is improving and if he had too, he can bang with anyone though it's not a strong point. Poor reach, but has reasonable power.

Ram Man

Juniors
Rumble being cut had to be done.

I was watching one of Dana Whites video blogs and it showed the moment when he broke the news to Vitor Belfort that Rumble had missed weight by a long way...the poor guy was so dehydrated and still trying to make weight he was crunching on ice through a towel just to get some sort of moisture in his body, and when Dana said to him that Rumble was close to making weight but he got sick, Vitor said "yeah well I'm a professional and I still got it done". And Dana's face really told a story with that comment.

Palhares....WOW...He has always been in a different world with his Jiu Jitsu but to pull guard just so he can attack a leg...that is ballsy. But its the speed that he gets these submissions, its quite mind boggling for a guy that size...Like Joe Rogan said, it looks like someone has stuffed soft balls into his calf muiscles.

He will probably start moving into some tougher opponents now with a performance like that.

Last edited:

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Yeah it seems his subs are just so crushing and looking at his frame it's not hard to tell why.
Makes you think how he'd against sonnen, Munoz and Maia. Vicious subs

Ram Man

Juniors
Yeah it seems his subs are just so crushing and looking at his frame it's not hard to tell why.
Makes you think how he'd against sonnen, Munoz and Maia. Vicious subs

Bit of a different beast to Maia...Maia is all technique and very slick where Palhares uses technique well but then uses massive amounts of strength to apply subs. If those 2 were to fight, I dont think you would see a sub, both fighters are very highly accomplished BJJ fighters and would be a very technical fight on the ground and many would not find it entertaining at all.
Sonnen is susceptible to subs anyway, especially triangles because of his G&P technique...the dude has to stop leaving his arms on the chest of his opponent when in full guard...its an invitation to throw up a triangle and even an armbar.

shiznit

Coach
Bit of a different beast to Maia...Maia is all technique and very slick where Palhares uses technique well but then uses massive amounts of strength to apply subs. If those 2 were to fight, I dont think you would see a sub, both fighters are very highly accomplished BJJ fighters and would be a very technical fight on the ground and many would not find it entertaining at all.
Sonnen is susceptible to subs anyway, especially triangles because of his G&P technique...the dude has to stop leaving his arms on the chest of his opponent when in full guard...its an invitation to throw up a triangle and even an armbar.

i have no idea why he doesnt just do it from half guard.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I'd be more interested in seeing paulhares and his aggressive guard against sonnen and Munoz who like top control. Granted I think they both keep it on the feet but paulhares is so strong I reckon he could get it to the ground. Sonnen I don't think it's going to be a sloppy and lazy with his top positioning anymore. Silva 1 surely is final wake up. All after being triangled so many times.

Agreed with the points on Maia and paulhares being different beasts which is why I'd love to see it. Maia is the man no doubt but someone like paulhares who has technique but also has more explosive power in grappling than anyone in the middleweight division would be mouthwatering.

Don't practice jitz myself but a technical jitz battle is so good to watch, which is why I think it would be something to look forward to.

Ram Man

Juniors
I'd be more interested in seeing paulhares and his aggressive guard against sonnen and Munoz who like top control. Granted I think they both keep it on the feet but paulhares is so strong I reckon he could get it to the ground. Sonnen I don't think it's going to be a sloppy and lazy with his top positioning anymore. Silva 1 surely is final wake up. All after being triangled so many times.

Agreed with the points on Maia and paulhares being different beasts which is why I'd love to see it. Maia is the man no doubt but someone like paulhares who has technique but also has more explosive power in grappling than anyone in the middleweight division would be mouthwatering.

Don't practice jitz myself but a technical jitz battle is so good to watch, which is why I think it would be something to look forward to.

The other problem with Palhares vs. Maia, which would be unreal as far as Jiu Jitsu is concerned, is how long cam Palhares last in a BJJ battle. The dude is enormous as a middleweight and believe me, battling a high level BJJ practitioner who moves as smoothly as Maia, when you are trying to use a lot of strength will gas you quicker than any stand-up fighting.

I would love to see this battle at ADCC let alone UFC, and some of you guys would be the few real fans who understands the complexity of BJJ and appreciates it, but most of my mates, who dont quite understand BJJ think that any fight that stays on the ground for any longer than 2 mins is boring...most fairweather fans think the same.

Shiz, not sure why he doesnt do it from half guard either, but then again, like other BJJ fighter, I myself quite like it when guys get to my half guard, because I can work sweeps a little better...half guard really isnt that much better than full guard

Status
Not open for further replies.