What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono078

Referee
Wow we get so personal don't we. Can't argue your point of view without it?

I can't view that site right now but tell me how many of those significant strikes were in the 1st and 2nd round?

Ram Man

Juniors
Octagon control doesn't mean shit if you are out struck by 50 significant strikes...you can stand in the middle all you like but unless you are dictating terms and landing more significant strikes you are jot going to win...you are focusing on one aspect of the rules, they state striking, grappling, aggression, and octagon control

shiznit

Coach
Wow we get so personal don't we. Can't argue your point of view without it?
fair enough dude... my bad... i removed the personal part.

I can't view that site right now but tell me how many of those significant strikes were in the 1st and 2nd round?

Significant strikes:

Round 1:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 23

Round 2:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 32

Round 3:
Condit - 32
Diaz - 22

Round 4:
Condit - 36
Diaz - 11

Round 5:
Condit - 25
Diaz - 17

Fight Total:
Condit - 151
Diaz - 105

Snoochies

First Grade
On off topic discussion so to speak but I'm sure many have noticed.......... the boganism of mma in the public.

I can I can say I'm an old school fan where I was watching the UFC since they were selling UFC videos in the centre of a mall and you had to drive to different shopping centres just to find one. I have watched the sport for about 12 years now and enjoyed telling my friends about the sport and enlightening them to what MMA is all about and I even at one stage wore a Tapout shirt before it became too popular and I could wear it with pride. Now I will not be seen dead wearing a Tapout shirt because they have been overtaken by a bunch of bogans and it seems all the WWE fans have jumped onto the MMA bandwagon.

Just my whinge and I'll get over it, I still love the sport but all these bloke wearing gold leaf shirts everywhere makes me miss the older days and it just seems like the brand of MMA in the public eye is becoming too much like WWE. Or on the other hand, I should just suck it up. :-#

Jono078

Referee

Significant strikes:

Round 1:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 23

Round 2:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 32

Round 3:
Condit - 32
Diaz - 22

Round 4:
Condit - 36
Diaz - 11

Round 5:
Condit - 25
Diaz - 17

Fight Total:
Condit - 151
Diaz - 105

Interesting. Look I may have to watch again for a second opinion. But as of now I still believe Diaz won the 1st 2nd and 5th round. Guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one for now.

shiznit

Coach
On off topic discussion so to speak but I'm sure many have noticed.......... the boganism of mma in the public.

I can I can say I'm an old school fan where I was watching the UFC since they were selling UFC videos in the centre of a mall and you had to drive to different shopping centres just to find one. I have watched the sport for about 12 years now and enjoyed telling my friends about the sport and enlightening them to what MMA is all about and I even at one stage wore a Tapout shirt before it became too popular and I could wear it with pride. Now I will not be seen dead wearing a Tapout shirt because they have been overtaken by a bunch of bogans and it seems all the WWE fans have jumped onto the MMA bandwagon.

Just my whinge and I'll get over it, I still love the sport but all these bloke wearing gold leaf shirts everywhere makes me miss the older days and it just seems like the brand of MMA in the public eye is becoming too much like WWE. Or on the other hand, I should just suck it up. :-#
i always knew about MMA... but i was real ignorant to it and i didn't pay any attention to it because i only saw the likes of Tank Abbot hump the shit out of each other on the ground. i used to hate on MMA hard out... but im glad my mind was opened up to it.

i really started taking a big interest in it from about 05/06 when Mark Hunt started competing. i was a big K1 fan before that.

once i started to seriously follow it and see the martial art as opposed to the bloody brawls which i have previously seen... i was hooked.

i can see what you mean about the boguns... but to be fair who am i to talk bad on them... i used to make gay jokes galore about the sport... the more people who love the sport the better...

WYD

Juniors

Why don't you have a look at MMA's history in Japan and the pro wrestling links will become apparent.

WYD

Juniors

Significant strikes:

Round 1:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 23

Round 2:
Condit - 29
Diaz - 32

Round 3:
Condit - 32
Diaz - 22

Round 4:
Condit - 36
Diaz - 11

Round 5:
Condit - 25
Diaz - 17

Fight Total:
Condit - 151
Diaz - 105
That's one person's opinion. And he doesn't seem to understand the term significant.

dogslife

Coach
My cousin first got me interested in MMA around 03/04 but he only ever used to watch Pride, so that's all I watched really. It wasn't until I started watching the first series of TUF that I got into the UFC. It has become very mainstream in recent years, which is great to see in some aspects, but then you always get dickheads who feel the need to argue with you about how they've been following UFC for a few years now and know more than you because they're wearing a tapout shirt

shiznit

Coach
That's one person's opinion.

Opinion has nothing to do with it... there's a science to how the stats are worked out...

read up on it... http://fightmetric.com/aboutthestats.html

and for the record... FightMetric are the official statistics provider of the UFC
And he doesn't seem to understand the term significant.

and what would you know about significant strikes??? you have an avatar of a make believe fighter who's never thrown a real punch in his life... :lol:

WTF?? wearing a belt too... :lol:

What a f**king joke... Dude was told he was gonna win that thing... :lol:

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I am not sure anyone can confidently say there is an exact science in the world of MMA when it comes to judging. I don't care who you are. There is always going to be healthy debate when a big fight goes to the cards. Some are cut and dry. Some are not, like this one. I still believe it was at least 3-2 to Condit. I think there is an argument for 4-1 after watching the replay though I will settle for at least 3-2 to Condit. Condit's game plan right or wrong was effective and it got him a deserved win.

shiznit

Coach
I am not sure anyone can confidently say there is an exact science in the world of MMA when it comes to judging. I don't care who you are. There is always going to be healthy debate when a big fight goes to the cards. Some are cut and dry. Some are not, like this one. I still believe it was at least 3-2 to Condit. I think there is an argument for 4-1 after watching the replay though I will settle for at least 3-2 to Condit. Condit's game plan right or wrong was effective and it got him a deserved win.

i agree with that... but what im pointing out is that FightMetric stats are more than just someones opinion.

Ram Man

Juniors
I was quite late on the MMA scene but have taken to it like a duck to water and it wasn't long before I was in a BJJ gym learning all I can from the fighters pov...I still argue with f**king clueless people about MMA and how much better it is than boxing...just last week one of my mates girlfriend said to me 'there is no skill in MMA boxing is heaps more skillful' ffs...these are the things that shit me...people who have seen 5 mins of MMA have no idea what happened and call it shit....morons

WYD

Juniors
Opinion has nothing to do with it... there's a science to how the stats are worked out...

read up on it... http://fightmetric.com/aboutthestats.html

and for the record... FightMetric are the official statistics provider of the UFC
The "science" consists of one person scoring the fight.

One scorer per fight

In the end, all FightMetric scoring is done by human beings.

and what would you know about significant strikes??? you have an avatar of a make believe fighter who's never thrown a real punch in his life... :lol:

WTF?? wearing a belt too... :lol:

What a f**king joke... Dude was told he was gonna win that thing... :lol:
Perhaps you could post a few more emoticons to help with your strawman argument.

shiznit

Coach
The "science" consists of one person scoring the fight.

One scorer per fight

In the end, all FightMetric scoring is done by human beings.

I made sure i highlighted the fact you used the word OPINION.

obviously it was too much for you to grasp :?

there's a big difference between having a guy counting strikes like what fightmetric do... and a guy just forming an opinion on who won a fight...

so... your trying to say that the dude who's sole job is to count the amount of strikes landed by each fighter... and has all these tools available to him...
FightMetric strives to compile data in the most accurate and consistent way humanly possible. The tenets of FightMetric’s data collection methodology:

Strict definitions
Definitions are not an issue in sports like baseball where everyone understands what a home run is. In MMA, however, a word like takedown could mean different things to different observers. And unless everyone scoring fights uses the same criteria for a takedown, it will be impossible to produce consistent takedown statistics. To guarantee that all statistics are collected using the same criteria, FightMetric has established strict definitions for all the metrics it tracks. Scorers are rigorously trained to use only these specific definitions rather than subjectively interpreting the action based on their understanding of the techniques being tracked.

Slow motion
MMA is a super-fast, action-packed sport. But what makes it so exciting to watch makes it very hard to score. Fighters can throw furious, multi-strike combinations and transition quickly from position to position in a split second. At its most active, the sport is simply impossible to score accurately in real-time. Rather than trying to keep up or relying on inaccurate data, FightMetric insists on the use of slow motion. Every striking exchange, every takedown attempt, every possible submission attempt is rewound and meticulously examined in slow motion to ensure an accurate score.

State-of-the-art technology
As much as FightMetric is a data company, it is also a technology company. FightMetric has made significant investments in technology to make certain it is always on the cutting-edge. From the way fights are watched to scoring input tools and the way data is housed, FightMetric is constantly evaluating new methods to improve the accuracy and consistency of the data.

this dude is only forming an OPINION??

get the f**k outta here with that shit maaaan... :lol:

Perhaps you could post a few more emoticons to help with your strawman argument.

the strawman??? is that your favorite fake fighter these days?? what belt does he hold?? the super-duper-intergalactic-wrestling-federation championship... :lol:

seriously dude... don't come into a forum discussing real fighting and start off by calling people moron's when you clearly follow make believe fighting...

WYD

Juniors
I made sure i highlighted the fact you used the word OPINION.

obviously it was too much for you to grasp :?

there's a big difference between having a guy counting strikes like what fightmetric do... and a guy just forming an opinion on who won a fight...

so... your trying to say that the dude who's sole job is to count the amount of strikes landed by each fighter... and has all these tools available to him...

this dude is only forming an OPINION??

get the f**k outta here with that shit maaaan... :lol:
Yes, he is only forming an opinion.

You swallow bullshit too easily.

the strawman??? is that your favorite fake fighter these days?? what belt does he hold?? the super-duper-intergalactic-wrestling-federation championship... :lol:

seriously dude... don't come into a forum discussing real fighting and start off by calling people moron's when you clearly follow make believe fighting...
Third time.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Gracie hunter sakuraba was huge in pro wrestling in Japan. Weestling in Japan seems a tad different from what I've read in a few different auto-biogs so I can see a link there. It's grasping but it's a link lol.

Was anyone else stunned at the punishment big country was taking. Fabricio hit him with some vicious knees and he was still standing. Tough as freaking nails. Hoping Werdum and Mir go at t now, his muay Thai looked real sharp and we all know he's a beast on the ground. Make it happen Dana!

WYD

Juniors
Gracie hunter sakuraba was huge in pro wrestling in Japan. Weestling in Japan seems a tad different from what I've read in a few different auto-biogs so I can see a link there. It's grasping but it's a link lol.
Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki, who were trained in the New Japan Pro Wrestling Dojo, founded Pancrase in 1993.

Fighting Network RINGS was huge in Japan at one stage. Although it was a work, it was a martial arts work as opposed to a puroresu work so one can argue that helped grow a market for MMA.

There is a long history of Japanese wrestlers with martial arts training and worked and legitimate shoots. The International Shootfighting Association which Ken Shamrock came through, although they did works.

It's not the most illogical thing in the world to be a wrestling and MMA fan.

WYD

Juniors
Although he fought a can, if you can call a Judo gold medalist a can, Fedor's last fight was on a card in Japan consisting of MMA, K-1 and pro wrestling.

I apologize for watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts