What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Manly a Bonafide Chance?

Bazal

Post Whore
No, I dont rate their chances. On their day they are a very tough team to beat but they can play horribly. Orford has never been a pressure player, and their backs are not the greatest. They rely too heavily on BK, so any team that can keep him quiet will go a long way towards wining. They might make the prelims, but I think they will be hard pressed to win it all....

Dutchy

Immortal
Bazal said:
No, I dont rate their chances. On their day they are a very tough team to beat but they can play horribly. Orford has never been a pressure player, and their backs are not the greatest. They rely too heavily on BK, so any team that can keep him quiet will go a long way towards wining. They might make the prelims, but I think they will be hard pressed to win it all....

And Parra dont rely on Hindy?

Dutchy

Immortal
Knights and Joey?
Broncos and Lockyer?
Dragons and Gasnier?

every team rely on their top players to perform well..

Bazal

Post Whore
scottyj said:
And Parra dont rely on Hindy?

Thankfully not nearly as much as we used to. With the likes of Morrison, Robinson, Wagon, Widders, Cayless all playing well we can cover him much better these days. Notice his stats, he is making less tackles and more hitups for us. We are relying far less on Hindy to do all our tackling. We will fall down in the front row, not the back row, in terms of winning the comp. But that is another discussion.

Knights and Joey?
Broncos and Lockyer?
Dragons and Gasnier?

Most teams do but Manly can't seem to cover it as well, and you'd have much more luck shutting down BK than you would any of those guys. Take the Gasnier example. If you cover him (good luck!), then who worries about Barrett? Head? Bailey? Young? Cooper? Hornby? With BK, you shut him down and generally the forwards don't go forward, Orford struggles and then the team struggles as a whole. Same as shutting down Joey for Newcastle.

effnic

Bench
Dont listen to those stupid stats on fox saying we are 0 from 4 without bk thats a load of sh*t we beat the storm without him this year. The only way manly will win it is if we make it into the grand final and we are up against parra, they are 99% a chance of choking, but manly find it very hard to beat parra so they will need to choke.

Cletus

First Grade
effnic said:
Dont listen to those stupid stats on fox saying we are 0 from 4 without bk thats a load of sh*t we beat the storm without him this year. The only way manly will win it is if we make it into the grand final and we are up against parra, they are 99% a chance of choking, but manly find it very hard to beat parra so they will need to choke.

0 from 4? We beat the Bunnies without him. (Can't believe I said that:oops: )

Ice777

Bench
willvillain said:
You bastard Moffo! How could you do this to us! Just when I was getting my hopes up about this year.... you do this..... :)

But seriously, I am starting to think that once BK comes back Manly are a real genuine chance. Parra are going great at the moment, but the injuries to all their props will start to show - their excellent backrow will surely start to suffer the effects of playing the props role on top of their normal workload soon... Dogs minus Asotasi and Tonga are still my tip to win it. Too much class in the forwards even without big Roy. etc etc etc.

The thing I am loving about the team at the moment, is that they are winning a lot of close games. I think back to last year and remember so many games where we were done at the death of a match, this year it's been the opposite - we seem to be able to snatch victory where we don't deserve it. That's why I rate us as a decent chance in the finals.

Didn't you forget a team there? Even if you don't think the Storm will win it they still have to rate a chance in anyone's eyes. You said once BK comes back you think Manly are a real chance. So you're basically saying if he gets injured again then Manly are no chance? IMO any team that relies so heavily on one player will find it extremely hard to win the comp.

willvillain

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Didn't you forget a team there? Even if you don't think the Storm will win it they still have to rate a chance in anyone's eyes. You said once BK comes back you think Manly are a real chance. So you're basically saying if he gets injured again then Manly are no chance? IMO any team that relies so heavily on one player will find it extremely hard to win the comp.

I only mentioned two teams - two that are going well, but I can see falling away because of injuries etc.

I've said all year that I don't think the Storm can win. Over the weekend I changed my mind, simply because without Asotasi I think the Dogs have a big hill to climb, so the Storm have actually won me over for the first time this year (ironically it comes after they lost a freaking game!).

If BK gets injured again and is ruled out for the rest of the year then Manly is absolutely no chance. I'm (unfortunately) pretty confident about that. But with him, the team aura changes dramatically. I'd say Manly with BK is a team that should be a true dark horse to win the comp, Manly without BK is a team your wasting your cash on.

pantherz9103

First Grade
scottyj said:
Knights and Joey?
Broncos and Lockyer?
Dragons and Gasnier?

This is a reason why I think the Storm will win the comp, because they don't rely on just a few players. They have so many players that can win them games; Inglis, Slater, Smith, Hill, Crocker, Cronk, Hoffman, King. They aren't so much full of superstars, its just that they have no nuffies that let them down.

Ask me why Brisbane can't win the comp? two words - Shane - Perry

As for Manly. I don't think they'll match up to the Storm, Dogs or Eels when it matters most.

eaglezno1

Juniors
we are certainly a chance to win it this year

we have improved alot over the last 12 months, we have recruited well in orford and bell.

All of our players are playing the best footy of their careers and with alot of enthusiasm in our team and keep with our positive attitude, we should win it

redandgreenduck

Juniors
C'mon all you other supporters ...stop takin the piss out of the scum, they are starting to think their some sort of chance. Seriously,they will win when Peters takes it up the clacker..mmm ..hang on a minute..

Ice777

Bench
eaglezno1 said:
we are certainly a chance to win it this year

we have improved alot over the last 12 months, we have recruited well in orford and bell.

All of our players are playing the best footy of their careers and with alot of enthusiasm in our team and keep with our positive attitude, we should win it

We should win it? Are you fair dinkum? :sarcasm:

_Johnsy

Referee
No reason why they cant win it, I would have thought after 2005 anything is possible, except maybe a raiders premiership. Sorry raiders fans, i just cannot see it happening.

effnic

Bench
Sir Knight82 said:
Somebody tell these seaeagle fans that they are dreaming.
It wasnt a sea eagles fan that started the thread. Now tell me this do you think knights are a chance? Surley not because the team that just beat you at home have no hope. right?