What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

Frailty

First Grade
Let's be honest, I think the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs have blown their wads.

Of the two of them, I think the Bulldogs have the best chance, but i'd only suggest that if they have a loss in the next couple of weeks and then win agin. When was the last time a team won 17 games in a row?

mckinks

Juniors
I don't normally like to say that one player makes a big difference to a side, but if the Dogs lost Barba to injury they'd be in a lot of trouble. The problem the Dogs has is that they're running out of backs.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Souths are the team to beat, going 6 straight is no mean feat, in recent weeks they also lost two of their best players in Luke and Inglis yet still won both games.

Souths are the benchmark, especially with their enterprising attack and strong defence.

Des is that you?

On topic - yes I think they are definitely the real deal. Previously I was of the opinion that they would go the way of the 1989 Souths team and 2009 Saints and go out in straight sets, but I have a feeling they'll go deep into the finals this time.

It's amazing what a decent coach can do....

Risky_6

Juniors
I think souths are a better chance than Canterbury, but what I saw from Melbourne on saturday was very impressive. Friday night is a big game as I feel manly and Melbourne are still the two to beat. Souths can win the comp. I question souths right side defence, other then that a genuine contender for sure.

Red Bear

Referee

Of the two of them, I think the Bulldogs have the best chance, but i'd only suggest that if they have a loss in the next couple of weeks and then win agin. When was the last time a team won 17 games in a row?
How many did Canterbury get to before they got done for rorting the cap?

Was it they got to 17 and the record was 19 from Easts in 75 or so, or was Easts record 17 and Canterbury got to 15 that year.

The way the finals system works this year, if you finish in the top 4 you need to win three games over 4 weeks. At least one, possibly two or all three of those games will be against a side that finishes lower than you on the table (depending on where you finish), so essentially the question is, can South Sydney win two games against two other top 4 teams?

Currently we are

1/2 vs Dogs
0/1 vs Storm
0/0 vs Manly

I guess this weeks game will be the yardstick.

mongoose

Coach
They're favourites to win the comp imo. They have a lot more experience in their spine than the Dogs do. Inglis, Taylor and Luke are big game players. King, Crocker and Asotasi have all played in grand finals. Just watching them play over the past 6 -7 weeks they look like a well drilled, well structured finals team. They can go all the way.

Pugzley

I think souths are a better chance than Canterbury, but what I saw from Melbourne on saturday was very impressive. Friday night is a big game as I feel manly and Melbourne are still the two to beat. Souths can win the comp. I question souths right side defence, other then that a genuine contender for sure.

:lol: Mate, weren't they playing Penrith?

We played the Storm back to form.

Canard

Immortal
David Taylor a big game player?? Carl Webb's had a better Origin career than DT and that career was one good game. Otherwise he has never played in a "big game" with Souffs, unless the Charity Shield counts?

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
David Taylor a big game player?? Carl Webb's had a better Origin career than DT and that career was one good game. Otherwise he has never played in a "big game" with Souffs, unless the Charity Shield counts?

Taylor has been fantastic for us this year. His career at club level is far greater than what Webb ever achieved in his career. A question mark on his performances at the higher level., poorly performed by his standards, he was still better than Gillette, which may not be saying much and not much less effective than Ash Harrison either perhaps not saying much as well.. But he can change that perception around come semi finals time.

NAS

Juniors
souths are a team that have won 6 straight, and have only lost two straight at one point this year. That was rounds 1 and 2.

They've had injuries, and suspensions to key players at varying times during the year. Both Sam and Luke Burgess have had long stints out, Roy Asotasi has been out for most of the season, Inglis has missed 5 games to origin and suspension, Luke has missed 4 games to suspension.

Yet they've continued to win. I think the comparison with the dogs is unfair when one considers at what time the dogs have played the other top 4 sides they've defeated.

In round 20 they beat a Manly side without Brett Stewart.
In round 16 they beat a Melbourne side without Billy Slater.
This weekend is the first time they play brisbane, who have just been beaten by Canberra and Parramatta.

Now this isn't to take away from the Dogs form. They've been great no doubt, for the majority of the season. More importantly, they've improved out of sight. They've also had really solid wins against inform Cowboys, Dragons, warriors and Tigers at important intervals. But so have souths.

The two games between the dogs and souths were both high quality games, and the reality was there was a trounce of luck between the two sides in both. But some of the games they've lost. Against Newcastle, against the Gold Coast, those are games that make you wonder if the dogs can really show up on the day against a team ready to play.

Souths' losses have come against the roosters (round one- should never have lost that game), Melbourne (round two, who went on to win 10 straight), brisbane (round 4- in perth 2nd game against an opposition who won the next 6 straight), Warriors (in NZ with a severely depleted forward pack) Bulldogs (see above) and brisbane a second time (without Burgess and King, most importantly, against a mountain of possession against Brisbane side only missing Hannant).

For mine, I think that both souths and the dogs have the right to feel confident for different reasons, but the favourites for the comp should be Manly and Melbourne, who have done it time and time again. If their key players stay on the paddock, souths and the dogs will have to genuinely play their best games of footy 2 weeks in a row, to get by them. That's simply reality.

Brisbane are now limping. Injuries have really hurt them at the wrong time. Fatigue is affecting the younger players.

Cronulla have done well to get where they are but realistically, are unlikely to beat any of the top 4 (although for some reason cronulla go pretty well against Melbourne).

Cowboys will win one, but inevitably drop one. It's just how they play. the only win against top 4 opposition this year (melbourne rd 19) was harder than it should have been given melbourne's form at the time.

BranVan3000

Coach

This is the argument of supporters of teams who have hit a wall in recent weeks. Doesn't make it truth

I don't think Souths are playing their best footy at all. Certainly wouldn't be without Luke and Inglis on deck

We will need to go for another level in the finals. This Manly game will we be a good test to see if we can

Galeforce

Bench

hmm , just say you do not like Taylor. no problem.

however he has played in 3 origins over the last two years , played for Australia against NZ this year and did play at least one finals game with Broncos.Reasonable big game experience.

firechild

First Grade
hmm , just say you do not like Taylor. no problem.

however he has played in 3 origins over the last two years , played for Australia against NZ this year and did play at least one finals game with Broncos.Reasonable big game experience.

Big game player and big game experience are 2 different things. He got dropped from the QLD side through poor form so that doesn't really equate to big game player.

Latest posts