What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arise Sir Russell

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
What did he say, something moronic as expected?

The usual crap you'd expect. Free Rusty, 2 years is harsh, haters can eat me. Blah blah.

Apparently Gubb posted too. No idea what, as I don't follow Twitter, but someone else posted Lousi's tweet.

Skinner

Coach
I think it speaks volumes for the attitudes of some at the Warriors. A media ban might have been worth while.

Dav0c

Juniors
"The sentence came as a surprise to Packer's lawyer, who told Mr Grogan he had "absolutely no idea" he was considering jail time."

His lawyer doesn't sound very switched on.

15th or 16th place for 2014 for us then is it? Muppets should keep their shit to themselves.

Not confident with some of these sensitive geniuss playing up or rebelling in some form for 2014. I cannot believe our club hasn't banned twitter or social media, our boys show some embarrassing stuff regularly it needs to stop

I'm starting to feel that we need more pros in our team (Aussie ones) after this incident as we know a few of them (sensitive kiwi mates) are going to have a sookathon and drag their feet.

2014 - The year of the spoon? We have come close a few time but I think we will get it now

Love to be proven wrong, Packer you gave everything away in a cowardly way so you get what you get

Izz

Bench
Never mind, Sam Lousi has already commented in Twitter. Should've known.
If Lousi seriously thinks that Packer's got a tough sentence then Lousi needs to get the sack. Anybody else who voices that opinion needs to be let go, too. Packer stomped on an unconscious guy's head!

If you think unprovoked violence is okay, then you're a douche and i don't want to see you anywhere near my team.

Tough on the footy field boys. But only on the footy field.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Was waiting for the details to come out.

Seriously stomping a motionless person. A seriously, seriously stupid human.

Pissed everything away. ( couldnt help myself)

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Good call by Elliott letting him go as well, would have been the last thing we needed to derail what looks to be a promising season.

I just hope his "homies" can get over it and accept that when you're a grown man and you make a decision to do something like Packer has done you have to be willing to cop your punishment. And that he's a dumbarse for doing it.

Blair

Coach
It was definitely the wrong time to be up in front of a judge on assault charges. Sydney is in 'king hit mania' right now. Just a couple of nights ago a young kiwi lad was put in hospital in Penrith.

Every weekend there's another incident.

Back to Packer.

Two things, 1. he claimed 'anger management' issues as a mitigating factor. How does that work when you're a footy player? You get to legally bash the crap out of people every weekend on the field, and at practice, to quench the thirst of violence. I'm not talking punches (although that is an option too) but just big hits (tackles) and taking the ball up with anger. Surely you don't need to be out assaulting people too?

2. If that sentence stays then its put him in serious trouble with the immigration authorities. A one year jail sentence is the legal threshold for barring someone from the country or cancelling a visa.

In saying this though, society needs to do all it can to help Russell Packer. If we write him off then shouldn't we expect him to do it again?

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Damn they don't muck around there.

As others have said, they do muck around actually... but maybe they won't any more.

On a side-note, you guys must have some of the worst social media geniuss in your team. Definitely need a ban on that shit for their own as well as the team's. :crazy:

One Warrior

Bench
As others have said, they do muck around actually... but maybe they won't any more.

On a side-note, you guys must have some of the worst social media geniuss in your team. Definitely need a ban on that shit for their own as well as the team's. :crazy:

Agree with that, I think the club needs to ban the players from social media, particularly Twitter, in fact all clubs should put this in place.

vvvrulz

Coach

No argument there from most Warriors fans.

vvvrulz

Coach
I understood up to harrrrrd. Wasn't sure if the rest was some Kiwi slang or Maori or something but I have absolutely no idea what it means

I've been in NZ 99% of my life, and most of that tweet was garbage to me.

jaseg

Juniors
Packer's an idiot, thank god he was released before this. As for Sam Lousi... he should be on a final warning for some straight up idiocy right there - and I'm not talking about literacy. That kind of attack described deserves that kind of jail sentence (no chance of him serving 2 years anyway).

ozbash

Referee
It was definitely the wrong time to be up in front of a judge on assault charges. Sydney is in 'king hit mania' right now. Just a couple of nights ago a young kiwi lad was put in hospital in Penrith.

Every weekend there's another incident.

Back to Packer.

Two things, 1. he claimed 'anger management' issues as a mitigating factor. How does that work when you're a footy player? You get to legally bash the crap out of people every weekend on the field, and at practice, to quench the thirst of violence. I'm not talking punches (although that is an option too) but just big hits (tackles) and taking the ball up with anger. Surely you don't need to be out assaulting people too?

2. If that sentence stays then its put him in serious trouble with the immigration authorities. A one year jail sentence is the legal threshold for barring someone from the country or cancelling a visa.

In saying this though, society needs to do all it can to help Russell Packer. If we write him off then shouldn't we expect him to do it again?

agree with everything you say Blair.

Izz

Bench
According to this article in the Herald (referring to comments from Packer's dad), it seems Packer was pretty blase about the incident:

"He told me 'I've got two lawyers on it, dad, everything is sweet'."

If that was his attitude, then hopefully the sentencing will wake him up to the seriousness of what happened, and he'll get the help he needs.