What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arise Sir Russell

themule

Juniors
Cannot believe that Packers father would say this - Mr Packer snr said he could not understand why his son was jailed, having admitted his guilt early on.

If he ends up serving at least 12 months then he will be deported back to NZ as well when he gets out.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Disturbing reading all the stuff on twitter from a bunch of guys who evidently think Packer has been hard done by and the victim is just a "snitch" etc.

These guys apparently think they are living by the "code of the streets" or some shit. Like they legitimately think this is 1990s New York and they are all OGs out there hustling and ducking cases and at war with the cops, and Russell is just that one homie that caught a case and has to do a bid.

This is NZ ffs. We have dangerous, delusional kids in the squad. It's worrying.

vvvrulz

Coach
In saying this though, society needs to do all it can to help Russell Packer. If we write him off then shouldn't we expect him to do it again?

Society needs to help him?
Society doesn't owe a guy who stomped a man's face anything.

He's already being molly coddled enough with a sympathetic media reeling in the dad/girlfriend, guys like Lousi sticking up for him, going through alcohol and anger management probably at someone else's expense. The Knights I've heard are backing him and will appeal the case.

How much more 'society help' does he need?

Blair

Coach
Society needs to help him?
Society doesn't owe a guy who stomped a man's face anything.

He's already being molly coddled enough with a sympathetic media reeling in the dad/girlfriend, guys like Lousi sticking up for him, going through alcohol and anger management probably at someone else's expense. The Knights I've heard are backing him and will appeal the case.

How much more 'society help' does he need?

It's all about rehabilitation. This focus on the perpetrator pisses people off, including me, but our society is morally obligated to protect the next (potential) victim.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
It's all about rehabilitation. This focus on the perpetrator pisses people off, including me, but our society is morally obligated to protect the next (potential) victim.

Not having a stab at you, but the word rehabilitation is starting to make me sick especially in New Zealand.

Under that guise we are allowing our prisoners to enjoy 'safe and supportive' communities in prison with wi-fi access, motel-like apartments, fancy dining. Heck just the other day there was an article about our worst sex offenders allowed to welcome family/friends for a family bbq in prison.

This whole mentality of 'criminals are victims too' and showering them with support and care is actually making the whole thing worse. Prison is becoming a pretty sweet all-paid deal, I don't think they learn anything unless prison becomes a place they really don't want to be.

We're helping them by allowing an easier re-integration into society? They're barely even leaving society, why would anything change for them when they get out? Re-offend, go back in for some R&R, do it again.

What do the actual victims get? A stomp on the face?

Packer's case isn't that extreme, but the attitude is still the same.

Have a read of the facebook page of the guy packer attacked. His name is Enoka Time....... Makes for interesting reading

ek999

First Grade
Appears to be a promising league player, highlights video on YouTube and friends with Michael Chee-Kam. And played junior reps in Auckland

ozbash

Referee
packer.jpg

Blair

Coach
this is a mixture of English, Samoan, Tongan and Maori, I think. My translation for what it's worth is " damn! two years ?!! eat arse hard. love you gangster keep safe brother. (Russell Packer) all you haters eat me!...

I roughly translated this too.

I've just filled out a job application which asked 'Do you speak a second language? If so, please state.'

I answered 'Yes' and 'Lousi'.

Blair

Coach

Brilliant. A moment of madness for Packer or had this been brewing for some time?

A couple of comments in this thread seem to suggest his appeal will be successful and he'll get either less or no jail time beyond his immediate incarceration.

I don't know about that, the current political climate in NSW is pretty grim in regard to those charged with violent street assaults. A judge could feel he or she is sending out the wrong message to a community which wants something done about this particular crime.

Blair

Coach
Not having a stab at you, but the word rehabilitation is starting to make me sick especially in New Zealand...

I didn't take any of what you've written personally.

Look, it's hard to disagree with your comments about how criminals can be treated with kid gloves, etc.

I still think the average prison would be pretty uncompromising, regardless of all the rehab programs and the like. Unless one is from that culture, whereby going in and out of jail is just a way of life, then I think it would be a horrible place to be.

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
I don't know about that, the current political climate in NSW is pretty grim in regard to those charged with violent street assaults. A judge could feel he or she is sending out the wrong message to a community which wants something done about this particular crime.

The original judge made it pretty clear that the current media attention on these type of cases had a significant impact on his sentencing - something that isn't really supposed to happen (but does every now and then). He almost certainly will serve time, but definitely not 2 years (of course he'd be very unlucky/stupid to get in a position where he might actually serve the full sentence, whatever it ends up being after appeal).

Skinner

Coach
It would take a very brave judge, in this current climate, to reduce the sentence. However, I do sniff a home detention and a reasonably early parole.

jaseg

Juniors
It would take a very brave judge, in this current climate, to reduce the sentence. However, I do sniff a home detention and a reasonably early parole.

Hardly - it's kind of (actually really, REALLY) hard for a judge to lose their job (and it gets harder still the further up you go - and Packer is appealing up the 'chain' of courts...). So public opinion on a high profile case doesn't actually matter all that much - which is kind of the point, preventing media from being able to actively influence a case. They already have a huge amount of control over the legislature so I'd say that's definitely a good thing.

vvvrulz

Coach
I didn't take any of what you've written personally.

Look, it's hard to disagree with your comments about how criminals can be treated with kid gloves, etc.

I still think the average prison would be pretty uncompromising, regardless of all the rehab programs and the like. Unless one is from that culture, whereby going in and out of jail is just a way of life, then I think it would be a horrible place to be.

Hmm not sure about Aussie specifically, but here in NZ prisons seem to be especially soft and pathetic.

If Packer gets the full two years (unlikely) it would definitely serve as a good example to this whole culture of pub brawls and king hits. Let see how things pan out.

Blair

Coach
Just been touching up on some 'Lousi' for my job interview tomorrow.

I might need a hand translating some of these though:

Wuke uip put mi sweg en ,nowe et da mawl

Sheit loedz ef sweg en this meitch

lolo hea lolo dea lolo evri wea”hahaha

Rt if u a fagit

Hahahaha repost.

Hahahaha yooooo budddddddda. Crowd going off

First vids to sbw wer krak up now there just dry lol

Wow roast busters need a hiding. Then get roasted by 4 big black dudes lol

merkin sleap ,awl swegged owt #��

Wuke uip put mi sweg en ,nowe et da mawl

Wulfmayn dat waz freikish ������

lolo hea lolo dea lolo evri wea”hahaha

Bin plaeing Grend feft awto 5 ell dae ,luvz et

Finali gut hold ef grend feft awto 5

Duz eniwun wunt tu dryve duwn tu Wellengtin wif mí tumorow? Pinki prumise I em gud cumpani.

Pirsute ef heppiness iz on ....rt ef u cri evri tym ;

Deeze comintaytorz r soe biazst ...rt ef yu wunt wuriorz unda twenti'z tu win

Rt ef yu fersti...

Gudeluk tu da unda twenti wariorz

Rt ef ue r bord en hev nufng tu du

Guna showt mi boiz piez tumoroe ....rt ef yur a sow

Sowie ....rt ef yu luv da fanz

Tweetz wernt pirsanal lazt nyt ...rt ef u tuk it sirius ,favoryt ef yu cri evri tym

Goe selva firnz

Sincz wen did everi wun waj amerika'z cup rt ef ue went dem to win

Swear the dumbest cnt's come on cat fish lol

dam warriorz owt. rt if u cri evri tym