What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arise Sir Russell

Rich102

Staff member
Let's hope he makes it playing football cause he certainly lacks written communication skills. Maybe I'm just getting old.

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9593930/Packer-got-poor-Warriors-character-reference

Security camera footage of Russell Packer's drunken attack on an ex-pat New Zealander helped convince the NRL not to register his playing contract with the Newcastle Knights, while the Kiwis prop also received a less-than-flattering character assessment from his former club.

Details of the NRL's investigation into Packer's assault of a 22-year-old Aucklander in the Sydney CBD in November emerged yesterday, as the father of two remained in custody pending an appeal against a two-year jail term imposed on Monday.

The NRL refused to register Packer's four-year contract with the Knights - a deal thought to be worth A$1 million (NZ$1.9m) - last month, before the 24-year-old pleaded guilty to assaulting Enoka Lester Time.

NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle - a former CEO of the New Zealand Rugby League - broke the organisation's silence while holidaying in New Zealand, saying discussions with police and feedback from the Warriors formed the basis of the decision.

"When the incident occurred, we got hold of the police, we talked to them, we got all the facts, the police report and we obviously contacted his previous club, the Warriors, and asked them for a report," said Doyle, who also heads the NRL's Integrity Unit.

"If we have an incident with a player, we ask for his previous history as anyone would do. We got that from the Warriors and we felt that he wasn't a fit and proper person to be registered."

Packer played 110 games for the Warriors over six seasons and never faced criminal charges while at Mt Smart, although his final year was tarnished when he was caught urinating on Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium before a game against the Broncos last June - an indiscretion that drew a $A15,000 fine.

Blair

Coach
Good god are those real? :lol:

Yes, they are unfortunately. Furthermore, they are sanctioned by the Warriors because they encourage users of their website to follow him on Twitter.

I hope this big boof earns his keep this year. I understand he was a fine player in the winning juniors squad of 2011 (although he, like the rest of his team, didn't show up when I saw them that year away to Penrith).

He played a few first grade games in 2012 and was reasonably good. Injured last season, as most will be aware.

A forward of his size means he should be a damaging and feared player. Like Willie Mason at the same age.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
I'm glad the Warriors didn't give a good character reference, normally they are just full of shit, but looks like they are taking no shit now, whether that be a new stance from management or he's really pissed them off.

Either way, without his attitude I think the team will flourish next year

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm glad the Warriors didn't give a good character reference, normally they are just full of shit, but looks like they are taking no shit now, whether that be a new stance from management or he's really pissed them off.

Either way, without his attitude I think the team will flourish next year

Rumors were that he was being a real toss pot under Bluey, so management probably haven't liked him for a while.

These idiots that are coming out and tweeting crap about Packer surely have next to no brain cells at all. Gubb 1 game, Godinet 6 or 7 games Lousi 1 game are not veteran footy players they are fringe 1st graders at best for now. Sheeesh for the sake of your career shut the f**k up. Maybe Rusty will be controlling operations at silverwater for these diknuts

Blair

Coach
Lousi has now locked his Twitter account, access is now by request only.

I'd like to think we had something to do with this but, with the thousands of people potentially viewing his account, I don't think so.

Skinner

Coach
These idiots that are coming out and tweeting crap about Packer surely have next to no brain cells at all. Gubb 1 game, Godinet 6 or 7 games Lousi 1 game are not veteran footy players they are fringe 1st graders at best for now. Sheeesh for the sake of your career shut the f**k up. Maybe Rusty will be controlling operations at silverwater for these diknuts

They should have put the merkin in Long Bay.

perverse

Referee
You guys have some pretty interesting discipline issues over there, eh? Who is running the show, the club or the players?

Not blaming your club for Packers actions, btw... just noting that your blokes are always off the leash on twitter and whatnot.

Juju

Juniors
You guys have some pretty interesting discipline issues over there, eh? Who is running the show, the club or the players?

Not blaming your club for Packers actions, btw... just noting that your blokes are always off the leash on twitter and whatnot.
No drug dealers yet though "ring Gids"