What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask LU - The relationship advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If it's a serious relationship & you've come to the conclusion that you can no longer trust him, then it maybe time to call it a day. Only you can make that decision, trust is a massive part of a healthy relationship & to have constant doubts about if you can trust your partner or not can put a pretty heavy burden on a relationship. I've never been so drunk that I could completely forget about hooking up with someone when Im with someone else, but thats just me.

I need some advice from members with kids. Did any of you never want kids? But ended up having them. Do you regret having them? Or is it a case of once you have them they always change your life for the better? My GF & I have been together for about 3 years. Lateley we've been talking about our future, marraige, kids etc. She wants kids within the next 5yrs, I dont know if I want them at all. I like my freedom & disposbale income. I like being able to take off at a moments notice to go fishing for the weekend &basically do what I want when I want. I dont like being tied down, & when i think of kids thats what i see. For 20yrs i see myself burdened with the responsibility of providing for them no matter what. I dont know if I want/can be that father that sacrifices what he wants to make sure his kids dont go
without. Im 32 now, maybe in a few years I might think differently but what concerns me is I felt like this at 25 aswell, who's to say im not going to feel the same in 5yrs.

you'll know when you are ready to have them

adamkungl

Immortal
... and words of wisdom on the kids, JW. i'm under no illusions, i am not a suitable father at this stage of my life. end of story. lol. the thought f**king frightens me.

:lol: pretty much. Im gonna have a test run on a dog or a bird first...

Karl

Juniors
Storm Chaser, alcohol is a disinhibitor, amongst other things, even in mild doses. A big night can definitely cause anterograde amnesia from a certain point in the evening.
Euphoria (BAC = 0.03 to 0.12%)
  • Overall improvement in mood and possible euphoria
  • Increased self-confidence
  • Increased sociability
  • Shortened attention span
  • Flushed appearance
  • Impaired judgment
  • Impaired fine muscle coordination
It gets worse after that :)

While it's a legitimate mitigating factor to a party snog, it's his reaction that'll be the important thing. Is there genuine remorse and regret and a desire to make amends? If not why not? He might be deeply ashamed and not very good at dealing with it or he might just think it was no big deal and you're being silly to even raise it. Ultimately it depends on how you feel about him, your relationship, yourself, the way he handled the situation and what you think is likely to happen in the future. It could be the start of the corrosion that eventually ends things or an inflection point that leads to a more mature and loving relationship going forward. Only time will tell.

To Mr Radich - Jokers Wild makes good points, but ask yourself - is doing the same stuff for the rest of your life really going to make you as happy as you think it will? Are you taking a balanced view of what it means to be a parent? You seem to be only looking at the negatives. I have 3 kids, 13, 10 and 7 - g,b,b). As an example - I used to get up early, hit the beach with mates and surf all morning, come home, have a beer, chill out with the TV or a movie, maybe dose off, hang out with some people I like. A good day. Sunday I went to Kings beach with my family - spent a while shoving the 7 year old onto waves on a boogie board and teaching him a bit about sets, banks, rips etc, helped my 10 year old out the back on his board and was stoked to see him getting better, looked in rockpools with my 13 year old got her to appreciate that surfing can be something a girl can do too (she's now very keen on the boogie board). Hung with the wife on the beach and went for a swim etc. Went home, had a beer, watched a movie and hung with my family and a few drop-ins.

In other words - like the old days a lot, but way better. I didn't catch a lot of waves, but thats OK, I've caught a lot and frankly I had more fun helping my kids start catching theirs.

I had my first kid when I was 28. I thought it was a bit early, but there are lots of very good reasons for women to not have kids too late, it was important to my wife and so thats what happened. It turns out to have been a great decision. We made it work and work well. I was the first of my friends to do it, we have no family support structure to speak of (death, geography etc). Its not easy when they're really little, but it's not as bad as most people make out either. The people I know who had the hardest time adjusting tended to be intrinsically selfish and lazy to begin with. Some really turned around and grew into much better people, others got resentful.

I love my kids and wouldn't go back to the old single, childless life for anything. I love them more than it's possible to explain. Life changes, but change is good. As human beings, we need to evolve. At least I think so. My biggest decision was the third one. I was really done at 2 - one boy, one girl. My wife really felt like she wasn't done. We talked about it a lot and in the end I just figured that if I loved the first 2 so much, how could one more be a bad thing? I was worried about a lot of things with an extra one, including the cost, but let me tell you, I would NEVER go back and I don't regret it for a second. The 3 of them are like their own little pack too. They squabble sometimes, but watching them grow up together is one of the purest joys in my life.

Lastly - Make sure that your thinking is right, or your reactions will be wrong. Have a look at this link and think about how you're reacting and thinking right now. http://psychcentral.com/lib/2009/15-common-cognitive-distortions/

Karl

Juniors
his guy:)

I know nussink.

ngbbs4704669c5e159.jpg

perverse

Referee
so you're somewhat of a jew that wears shitty sandals, dirty white robes, has a chronic neckbeard and you're constantly persecuted... and you run around preaching bullshit about some mythical crap that the scientific process has largely made obsolete?

I can't think of many "famous" personalities that i'd like to be less than Jesus.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
so you're somewhat of a jew that wears shitty sandals, dirty white robes, has a chronic neckbeard and you're constantly persecuted... and you run around preaching bullshit about some mythical crap that the scientific process has largely made obsolete?

I can't think of many "famous" personalities that i'd like to be less than Jesus.

Ah, no I just have a lot of disciples.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Cheers for the advice. My main problem is I dont want to lead her on by saying "yep 5 years & I'll be good to go" when im not sure if thats the case. I also dont want to ruin the relationship by refusing to ever have kids, who's to say that in 5yrs I may be ready but single & on the scrap heap :lol:
I've stated that before we even contemplate kids we must own a house (with a kick arse home theater room) & have managed to keep a dog healthy & well trained for a number of years. Hopefully working towards those goals will keep her busy & take her mind off her biological clock for a while.

Knightmare

Coach

:lol:

Dude, chill...

Status
Not open for further replies.