What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask LU - The relationship advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightmare

Coach
If I were any more chill, Miller would stick a green label on me and suggest I be served with lime...

redvscotty

First Grade
It shouldn't be having kids that is givign you issues, it should be who you are having them with!

You'll never hate the kids but can always hate the ex that made them with you!

Karl

Juniors
Cheers for the advice. My main problem is I dont want to lead her on by saying "yep 5 years & I'll be good to go" when im not sure if thats the case. I also dont want to ruin the relationship by refusing to ever have kids, who's to say that in 5yrs I may be ready but single & on the scrap heap :lol:
I've stated that before we even contemplate kids we must own a house (with a kick arse home theater room) & have managed to keep a dog healthy & well trained for a number of years. Hopefully working towards those goals will keep her busy & take her mind off her biological clock for a while.

What if you say:

"Look, if we're still together and happy in 5 years (as I desperately hope we will be honey because you're the love of my life) and we have a house and we're financially secure, I see no reason why we wouldn't start a family then."

But you have to mean it. If you get there and things are tracking well and you try to play for more time because you're just scared you'll have a crying baby ruin your concentration when you're playing WoW in your boxers at 11 am on a Saturday, you are going to have a very angry woman on your hands. Take a longer term view - in a few years, you'll be able to play these games WITH your kids and claim that time as babysitting and bonding for brownie points and leave passes :)

You can also take that opportunity to be very clear about what your expectations are about her returning to work after kids, when etc. Have some reasonable ideas in your head before you say something like "A few months after the birth should be enough to get back in the swing right?" Get agreement then because you're offering something she wants and it's the time you'll have some leverage to obtain undertakings that she isn't going to expect to be a full time lady who lunches with designer children and a very full schedule.

How old is the other half? The volume of the clock ticking can get pretty deafening as certain milestone birthdays approach - 30 to 35 seems to be a zone in which women really know they have to move otherwise risks like Down Syndrome become a lot higher. If they want a couple, they want to be getting the first one done soon after 30 so they can have the second out by 35. Having a baby near or at 40 is not something most women want to do.

Having one kid only is something my wife and I looked at and were quite comfortable with. Didn't work out that way, but don't listen to all the idiots who tell you having an only child creates selfish and horrible children. Parents create those.

IanG

Coach
Harder than finding a job to be honest. Let's face who would you use as a reference?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Cheers for the advice. My main problem is I dont want to lead her on by saying "yep 5 years & I'll be good to go" when im not sure if thats the case. I also dont want to ruin the relationship by refusing to ever have kids, who's to say that in 5yrs I may be ready but single & on the scrap heap :lol:
I've stated that before we even contemplate kids we must own a house (with a kick arse home theater room) & have managed to keep a dog healthy & well trained for a number of years. Hopefully working towards those goals will keep her busy & take her mind off her biological clock for a while.

Im 24 and my fiancee is 10 years old than me so understand the women body clock thing more than most. A few ago later I had the same issue, i found the key was to be completely open and honest, i told her i love our life right now, told her i wasnt ready for kids yet, wasnt sure if i was ever going to be and at that stage didnt think i wanted them, we discussed it openly honestly when it came up, she appreciated my honestly and always knew where i stood, if she didnt like the answers, she could have left, no one was string either one along, she always wanted them and i wasnt sure, so we kept talking and 2 years on we're engaged, ive got a good job, a good life, going to be married this year and we've both continued to discuss kids openly and how we're feeling and now once our Wedding is over im really looking forward to having a crack at kids.

Dont worry too much about your feelings right now, they can change in a whim and probably will every 2nd day when the time is near to really make the call... but they might not, so you do have to be honest with her on how you feel right now, its unfair otherwise

Last edited:

StormChaser

First Grade
We talked. We faught. I walked...................then went back and ran over his golf clubs.
Sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.