What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask LU - The relationship advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I turned 26 on my honeymoon and had a kid at 28. I LIKE being a young-ish Dad. We went round Europe for a month when the munchkin was 2. Went back and did a different crawl with kids at 1, 3 and 6 y/0. Took the Brother-in-law and his wife as stand-in baby sitters/load sharers and comp'ed their airfares and some accom. They got pregnant in Switzerland looking after our kids while we went to France for a week, so apparently it didn't cramp their style too much :) People who see travel as a way to get drunk in Pubs with more accents and bonk people who they can't talk to in the same language kinda miss the point.

I love travelling with my GF now, it's great sharing the experiences together. However when I did my first serious trip OS in my early twenties I know I would have not had anywhere near as much fun if I went with a GF. Im not just talking about getting drunk & hooking up with a random. I would have sacrificed many experiences I had as she would not have been interested or I would not have even recieved an invite/decided to go on a whim etc.
I guess for some relationships are the be all & end all, for others they are not. I've had/have friends who literally get out of one relationship & within a month they are in another. I've gone years being single & was pretty damn happy with it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
me and my fiancee are heading to germany and france in september this year, then getting married in tahiti in november

after that we plan to start trying to start a family but we still plan to travel. Whist we'll drink a bit during out holidays, its more about drinks at dinner and lunch, rather than sitting in a bar all day every day. We've got loads packed in for these trips so drinking excessively will only make it harder to get up in the morning to see all we want to see

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
me and my fiancee are heading to germany and france in september this year, then getting married in tahiti in november

after that we plan to start trying to start a family but we still plan to travel. Whist we'll drink a bit during out holidays, its more about drinks at dinner and lunch, rather than sitting in a bar all day every day. We've got loads packed in for these trips so drinking excessively will only make it harder to get up in the morning to see all we want to see

This is exactly how I feel know. However I dont get the whole, your not really travelling if you get drunk in bars all the time. Thats a complete load of shyte. Some of the best experiences you will ever have while travelling are hanging out in the local dive bar sharing a few beers with the locals. You will learn more about a culture over a few beers then you ever will on a guided tour (guided tours are great dont get me wrong, but they are part of the experience, not THE experience) The invites you also may recieve to anything & everything are experiences that money cant buy. Let me stress "LOCAL BARS" not the touristy ones.

Knightmare

Coach
Definitely agree. I've been single since I was 20. I'm 26 now. Get's pretty boring, though the option to do whatever whenever isn't too bad.

I'm 26 as well, and the only time I find myself wishing I wasn't single is when I go to a gig or a festival and I'm on my own. It'd be nice to have somebody to enjoy the music with. Apart from that, although I know at some point I will want my relationship status to change, at the moment I like having the personal/ financial freedom and none of the bullshit that goes on when you're tied down with someone. My flatmates' ex was a nightmare (we all call her the Dragon now) and even though she put him through so much crap, after more than 2 years of being separated he reckons he still loves her. It's been like watching an addict try to quit heroin, and I guess it kind of made me wary about falling for someone then having it take its' toll on me in the same way.

....And anyhow, I'm going to the UK/ France in just under 2 months and I want to remain single at least until I get back...

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
This is exactly how I feel know. However I dont get the whole, your not really travelling if you get drunk in bars all the time. Thats a complete load of shyte. Some of the best experiences you will ever have while travelling are hanging out in the local dive bar sharing a few beers with the locals. You will learn more about a culture over a few beers then you ever will on a guided tour (guided tours are great dont get me wrong, but they are part of the experience, not THE experience) The invites you also may recieve to anything & everything are experiences that money cant buy. Let me stress "LOCAL BARS" not the touristy ones.

agreed
we are planning to do plenty of that, particularly around barvaria and the small towns on the romantic road, loads of little towns to go and explore, and then get a feel for the locals at the bar over some lunch and beers

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I'm 26 as well, and the only time I find myself wishing I wasn't single is when I go to a gig or a festival and I'm on my own. It'd be nice to have somebody to enjoy the music with.

....On saying that, I'm going to the UK/ France in just under 2 months and I was to remain single at least until I get back...

Until she starts nagging you that your music is terrible or I'll go to this with you if you come & see Taylor Swift/Katty Perry with me. Mine is giving me the guilt trip about going to see Florence & the Machine with her, cant stand em.

I'm 26 as well, and the only time I find myself wishing I wasn't single is when I go to a gig or a festival and I'm on my own. It'd be nice to have somebody to enjoy the music with. Apart from that, although I know at some point I will want my relationship status to change, at the moment I like having the personal/ financial freedom and none of the bullshit that goes on when you're tied down with someone. My flatmates' ex was a nightmare (we all call her the Dragon now) and even though she put him through so much crap, after more than 2 years of being separated he reckons he still loves her. It's been like watching an addict try to quit heroin, and I guess it kind of made me wary about falling for someone then having it take its' toll on me in the same way.

....And anyhow, I'm going to the UK/ France in just under 2 months and I want to remain single at least until I get back...

It wouldn't be so much a problem if it wasn't for 6 years straight (coming up on 7 years shortly). The first few years were great fun. After that it kind of got boring + frustrating. Hopefully things will change for the better when I move back to Sydney this winter.

Knightmare

Coach
Until she starts nagging you that your music is terrible or I'll go to this with you if you come & see Taylor Swift/Katty Perry with me. Mine is giving me the guilt trip about going to see Florence & the Machine with her, cant stand em.

Well I'm hoping most women my age have got over listening to such crap!

Karl

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I had fun as a single guy, I'm just saying there is life on the other side too lads, and it can be ok too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts