What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi leads mutiny against Kemble

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
How is Kemble the only one left that is accountable Oz ? 17 players stepped onto that park, and couldn't complete the most basic skills of their trade, tackling, catching etc

Too often in sport for me the coach is left to hang out to dry, when the players havent fronted up either. That is what doesn't sit well for me. Not tackling a front rower in minute 1 of the game isn't a coaching issue, it is a motivation and attitude issue imo, which should never be a problem in the black jersey regardless of your feeling towards the coach

ozbash

Referee
da mad maori said:
Het Oz, get ya sh*t together mate.
Theres enough here to sign a petition and hoof it off to those clowns at the NZRL. And then send a copy to the Herald and a copy to Radio Sport.
We cant sit here a discuss this via a keyboard that goes nowhere.

Let what we're thinking be heard !!!!

Further more to that I am in Roys corner

if it was organised and you had permission etc,,, how many sigs do you reckon you'd get if 15000 turned up at the preseason at nth harbour and you had 2 people on each gate ?

da mad maori

Juniors
I dont care what anybody says. To coach your national team, you should have at least been involved in coaching at the highest level possible. What I am saying is, we should have had a person who was either in the NRL or ESL, regardless of their nationality.

The odd coach does pop up and wears his country's flag on his heart, like Bluey.
Now, I think it is an absolute insult to give Bennet an advisory role. That in itself will be saying to me that the NZRL know that Gary has a chink in his armour.
therefore, relieve Gary of his post, and gibve the whole thing to Wayne.

ozbash

Referee
Beavers Headgear said:
How is Kemble the only one left that is accountable Oz ? 17 players stepped onto that park, and couldn't complete the most basic skills of their trade, tackling, catching etc

Too often in sport for me the coach is left to hang out to dry, when the players havent fronted up either. That is what doesn't sit well for me. Not tackling a front rower in minute 1 of the game isn't a coaching issue, it is a motivation and attitude issue imo, which should never be a problem in the black jersey regardless of your feeling towards the coach

the kiwis had no spirit or morale during that tour. admittedly the players are the reflection of that spirit (unless your name is bluey) but it comes from the top. If the camps not happy....

where was the 'brotherhood' ?

I think in this case kemble is the one left to shoulder the blame after his chairman spat the dummy and deserted him. I reckon chalmers had a lot to do with spirit and morale on that tour and the welly game.

da mad maori

Juniors
ozbash said:
if it was organised and you had permission etc,,, how many sigs do you reckon you'd get if 15000 turned up at the preseason at nth harbour and you had 2 people on each gate ?

Bloody heck bro. Now thats a great idea. If thats whats on ya mind, i'll try and make the trip up just for that and stand at a gate to get sigs.

Even a thousand sigs would turn heads.

LeagueNut

First Grade
mean_maori_mean said:
More interesting is who is pushing for him to come out.

Asotasi aint the type of person to come out on a limb by himself - he would have to have somebody important egging him on - whether be from NZRL insiders, potential replacement coaches or from the Wayne Bennett camp itself.?
That's a bloody interesting question - the mind boggles.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
da mad maori said:
Bloody heck bro. Now thats a great idea. If thats whats on ya mind, i'll try and make the trip up just for that and stand at a gate to get sigs.

Even a thousand sigs would turn heads.

Guys would you anticipate any grief from the Warriors camp if you did that? Personally I'd be right behind you (I agree onj Kembler needing to go but moreso I'm sick of the amatuer boys club that is the NZRL) but not sure how the Warriors peeps would feel about it.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spleg/Detail.aspx?id=130698
Support for Asotasi over Kemble criticism

Senior Kiwis rugby league players back skipper Roy Asotasi, threatening a walkout if Gary Kemble stays on as coach

Dramatic developments this morning in the Rugby League war of words between Kiwis skipper Roy Asotasi and the NZRL.

Senior Kiwis players are threatening a walkout if Gary Kemble remains as coach of the national team for the World Cup.

Skipper Roy Asotasi has already been reprimanded by the NZRL for telling Australian media Kemble is out of his depth. Now another senior player David Kidwell claims all the senior players want Kemble gone and if he stays, there is no guarantee they will play for him. Kidwell says hopefully it will not get that far and they just want the best opportunity to win the World Cup. He says the players want former Kangaroos coach Wayne Bennett to run the team. However, Kidwell says they would accept Kemble having a role if it is under Bennett's tutelage.

Rich102

Staff member
This needs some fast and decisive action from the NZRL.
If indeed this is the players feelings then Kemble has to go. NOW!
(For Kemble's part I think his position is untenable and he should have already resigned.)
The Kiwis need a coach with a proven record who is coaching full time - no matter where he is coaching - though preferably in the NRL.
For mine he needs to be the best coach - not necessarily a Kiwi. Look worldwide at sports; many national teams are coached by non-nationals. Robbie Deans is a great example.
This has to be handled fast and decisively; if left for any time it could rip the game apart and have effects for years to come.

A photo taken from the NZRL crisis meeting this morning :

circus2.jpg

At least the NZRL board seem to be in good spirits.

Skinner

Coach
Gee, I have to say that the harshness of the comments surprise me a little. I seem to
recall that when Roy made certain comments mid-tour, a lot on here were supportive
of management........but not I..:lol: :lol: . The horror stories have been around since
the end of the tour.

Anyhow, all that aside, it is clear that Kemble's job is now untenable (and probably, since
that fateful day in Wellington, always was).

I don't know Roy, at all. I do know Gary, although not that well, but I wholeheartedly
support Roy in this one. Over the length of his coaching career, Kemble has made some
dreadful blunders, but it is more his lack of people skills that is his undoing.

I'm not sure how this is going to be sorted, but goodness me, it's going to get real
interesting as the dirt rises to the surface.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Micistm said:
This is sad. The whole thing is sad. It's heartbreaking...you flick through the book 'The Kiwis' for the proud history, and cringe with embarassment over this current s***. I'm sure the Aussies won't both laughing, more shaking their heads in complete disbelief at the state of our game, which is going to effect this upcoming World Cup if it isn't careful.
It will get worse before better, no doubt about it. But you could kinda see it coming months ago. The complete clean out that should have happened didn't. Instead of starting from scatch, there was a little token shift around, and that was that.

At this stage they'll be a lot of fans getting behind Samoa.

I dont thing so getting behind samoa - most samoans(in nz) have know idea that they even have a national league team and as bad as the media coverage for NZ kiwis team is - its not like a manufactured team of ex-kiwis and samoan-NZ'er is going to have much mana.

Also with the threat of player revolt - I dont think it will happen - I know SBW, Benjis and any players who are not on tour will not forfiet a jersey.
And remember half the players who have played on that tour wont be picked next time and other who are totably replaceable.

I cant even see Kidwell forfeiting a jersey if he gets picked and thats

While other wont be picked for discirplinary actions - all up its probably the worst sports tour ever in NZ sport history

Im definately sitting on the fence and every has f'd up - Roy, Kemble and most notably Lowe and NZRL.

I have heard all players thought there was no professionalism on tour etc. But you can let players run the team.

Only thing they can do now - Is bring bennett on as 'assistant coach' or some form and drop Roy as Captain.

As much as I agree with Roy - he is still an idiot.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
Guys would you anticipate any grief from the Warriors camp if you did that? Personally I'd be right behind you (I agree onj Kembler needing to go but moreso I'm sick of the amatuer boys club that is the NZRL) but not sure how the Warriors peeps would feel about it.

Warriors frown upon NZRL and have done so for some time - we all know that, not just to do with the recent debacles but probably more to do with the dodgy dealings of pokies, pubs and fraudsters who have been running it

This is great news for Samoa and Tonga. How long before half the New Zealand squad decide that all this sh!t is too much to handle? If something is not done about this quickly, you will find that a lot of players will just go back to their roots. Under dual eligibility, most of the NZ team can play for Samoa or Tonga as well.

If NZRL don't get their act together, they could well find that they will have a vastly reduced number of players to choose from.

Different kind of Rabbit said:
This is great news for Samoa and Tonga. How long before half the New Zealand squad decide that all this sh!t is too much to handle? If something is not done about this quickly, you will find that a lot of players will just go back to their roots. Under dual eligibility, most of the NZ team can play for Samoa or Tonga as well.

If NZRL don't get their act together, they could well find that they will have a vastly reduced number of players to choose from.

Perhaps the fringe players who haven't played yet, but those who have represented NZ recently will need to be granted a release...

ozbash

Referee
I heard on the news last night that there was to be the NZRL's AGM to be held on Friday. Does anyone know if this is right or is it just a normal board meeting ?

da mad maori

Juniors
Its a meeting to change the residency rule bro. They have to change it to bring Wayne Bennet on board

And hopefully once they sort that out, they'll give themselves a mighty uppercut for not getting rid of Lowe.

Jesbass

First Grade
da mad maori said:
Its a meeting to change the residency rule bro. They have to change it to bring Wayne Bennet on board

And hopefully once they sort that out, they'll give themselves a mighty uppercut for not getting rid of Lowe.

:lol: :clap:

Micistm

Bench
One thing I do feel, is very sorry for Kemble. He's probably a damn nice guy, and all he's done wrong was go for a position he wanted and got it. If he's out of his depth, then heads above need to roll.
Listening to the Mad Butcher on Radio Sport this morn, it's clear that poor buggers had a gutsful.
I suppose it's too much to ask for a professional management style rather than these people who look after themselves and IMO appointed Kemble because he was someone likely to toe the line. **** I'm only 39, only been waiting for 25 odd years for things to change in RL. I though '95 and the Warriors was going to be the start of awesome things for RL in this country...some things never change

Latest posts