What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V. England: First Test at Lords

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Only four bowlers in the '500 club.'

As of yesterday...

Name-Matches-Balls-Maidens-Runs-Wickets-Average

SK Warne -123-34438-1571-1487 583-25.51
M Muralitharan 92-31424-1396-12257-539-22.74
CA Walsh 132-30019-1144-1268 519-24.44
GD McGrath 109-25509-1288-10592-499*-21.22

* Now 504 and the rest.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tommy will be necking himself as we speak, in a chorus of Australians screaming "OHH AHH, GLEN MCGRATH!"

Willow

Assistant Moderator
McGrath's session is over. The onus is now on Lee to lift his game. He only has to sharpen up his line and forget about bowling at 100 mile per hour.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. well there's obviously something going on in the wicket.
Ponting will bring McGrath and Warne back on together.

The Poms will be batting last on it.

At this stage, it looks like Australia were almost justified in batting like millionaires.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well all I can say is the pitch is pathetic! OMG, I don't care what you say but if you have the no1 and no2 sides are playing and 17 wickets fall, the pitch has to be blamed! This game will be lucky to go to day 4 the way this is!

aussies1st

Staff member
Welcome to the 500 club McGrath. Langer's 40 was vital now that we look at the context. England still have KP and aus will need to get him out early tommorow. Dizzy is really out of sorts he isn't battng like he normally does and bowling well that has been his main problem

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
England 7/92 (37) Pietersen 28*
Australia 190 (40.2) Langer 40, Warne 28, Katich 27, Gilchrist 26, Harmison 5/43, S Jones 2/48, Flintoff 2/50
Australia won toss and elected to bat - Stumps Day 1 - Trescothick c Langer b McGrath 4 (17), Strauss c Warne b McGrath 2 (21), Vaughan b McGrath 3 (20), Bell b McGrath 6 (25), Flintoff b McGrath 0 (4), G Jones c Gilchrist b Lee 30 (56), Giles hit wicket b Lee 11 (13), McGrath 5/21, Lee 2/35, Gillespie 0/30, Warne 0/2

should be all over by day three, about lunch time

JJ

Immortal
Twizzle said:
England 7/92 (37) Pietersen 28*
Australia 190 (40.2) Langer 40, Warne 28, Katich 27, Gilchrist 26, Harmison 5/43, S Jones 2/48, Flintoff 2/50
Australia won toss and elected to bat - Stumps Day 1 - Trescothick c Langer b McGrath 4 (17), Strauss c Warne b McGrath 2 (21), Vaughan b McGrath 3 (20), Bell b McGrath 6 (25), Flintoff b McGrath 0 (4), G Jones c Gilchrist b Lee 30 (56), Giles hit wicket b Lee 11 (13), McGrath 5/21, Lee 2/35, Gillespie 0/30, Warne 0/2

should be all over by day three, about lunch time

not much English batting left, but Pieterson could even up the scores very quickly!

Who's going to win by Day 3 lunchtime? I've said I expect Aust to win at worst by 3-1 - but their modus operandi is to get a big score and exert pressure, in a low scoring match, England have a decent shot

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it makes Mike Gatting's comment "this is a placid wicket" a bit of a joke

not a good test wicket, imo

it wont get a chance to wear,

it will get down to the bowlers I think, the Pomms were far too short last night, giving the Aussies a chance to score more runs.

When the Aussies bowled they kept the ball up alot more, they summed up the wicket alot quicker than the pomms, and restricted their scoring while still taking wickets

Azkatro

First Grade
I don't mind pitches like this. Some of the greatest test matches of all time started out on rough pitches, then evened out and saw a big third innings. To be honest I'm delighted to see the bowling attack get the upper hand for once, we've been watching them get belted around for too long too often now.

fish eel

Immortal
I said earlier that to win the ashes england needed harmison to get 30+ plus wickets and Flintoff to have a big series with the bat.

Looks like that's the way it will need to be for england.

Red Bear

Referee
Thank god for a bowlers pitc for once. I'ce gotten sick of bloody roads everywhere around the world.

There is not a lot wrong with the wicket. Have a look at how people got out.

Hayden was no where near in line with bat and pad. Good ball poor shot.
Langer was a poor shot especially in a new bowlers first over. Also he was set.
Martyn could have left his alone.
Clarke unlucky but he still looked in trouble.
Gilchrist terrible shot but that's how he plays.
Katich poor shot.
Warne was outside off when leg stump was hit.

We gave our wickets away under a bit of pressure from some good bowling. Australia are so used to going out and hitting some sub standard attacks that they have forgotten when ODI cricket finishes and Test cricket starts. Australia had no patience yesterday and are only on top due to Englands feeble effort with the bat and the spell of one of our all time greatest players.

The difference yesterday was England got out trying to defend and scratch around at least Australia got out trying to be positive. Both teams have the bowling to get each other out twice. It is Englands attitude with the bat that will need to change.

choc_soldier

Coach
17 wickets in a day definitely suggests that the ball was a dominant factor, but as Southern Rooster said, the batsmen weren't exactly helping with their shot selections. I thought Katich was really good, being the glue in the middle to lower order. I didn't see McGrath's wickets live, but some of them were absolute jaffas.

I predict that Australia will have a first innings lead (but not by much). This match is still in the balance, but stumps on Day 2 could perhaps paint a clearer picture on who will come out on top.

I was watching the Channel 4 coverage on SBS. I've got to say that they're not too bad.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Oh Ahh has done it again, just when we're in trouble McGrath comes to the rescue, also tried his best with the best. 10 not out, that should boost his average.

What station is everyone watching? Im watching the SBS coverage, and its pretty good commentary.

Latest posts