What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V. England: First Test at Lords

fish eel

Immortal
Southern Rooster said:
There is not a lot wrong with the wicket. Have a look at how people got out.

Agreed.

But even if the track was a bit dicey, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Too many flat tracks around these days, now and then having things in favour of the bowlers isnt bad, makes it a test of concerntraction and skill for the batting side.

aussies1st

Staff member
Pitch wasn't the worst just england bowlers bowled some good balls. Aus looked a bit ratled as shown by ponting getting hit in the helmet. Hayden has to take his time now instead of going after attacks, as he hasn't succeed in doing that for ages now.

IanG

Coach
Yeah looks like the pitch was doing alot. How else would 17 wickets fall in a day's play

JJ

Immortal
IanG said:
Yeah looks like the pitch was doing alot. How else would 17 wickets fall in a day's play

poor batting?

Both sides look pretty weak beyond #4 (except Gilchrist), and both lots played some ordinary shots to get out.

Actually - I qualify that, Aust look weak beyond # 4 with the exception of Gilchrist, England look weak beyond #3

aussies1st

Staff member
Both teams are still finding their feets beyond their top order. England have Bell and Pietersen while aus have Katich and Clarke.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to give Brett Lee a wrap.

He did what eveyone said he cant do,and that is come back on in his second spell with an old ball and he took two wickets, bolwing at 140ks instead of 155 with the new ball.

AJK07

Juniors
JJ said:
poor batting?

Both sides look pretty weak beyond #4 (except Gilchrist), and both lots played some ordinary shots to get out.

Actually - I qualify that, Aust look weak beyond # 4 with the exception of Gilchrist, England look weak beyond #3

This is a stupid comment considering that Langer aside, Simon Katich was the only Aussie batsman to get going, and Pieterson and Jones aside, England would have made their lowest ever score in all likelihood.

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:
poor batting?

Supporting NZ and your having a go at weak batting?

Clarke, until his dodgy lbw, and Katich played quite well. Pietersen actually showed a little more than the Great White Dope did as well.....

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Thats a stupid comment in deed. Australia have a very good 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 and 10 (for their positions, like gillespie is a good for a number 10). If you ask me its our 2 (hayden) and our 5 (clarke) who are really struggling while ponting also needs to think about a new strategy about the way hes gonna play.

mickdo

Coach
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Thats a stupid comment in deed. Australia have a very good 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 and 10 (for their positions, like gillespie is a good for a number 10). If you ask me its our 2 (hayden) and our 5 (clarke) who are really struggling while ponting also needs to think about a new strategy about the way hes gonna play.
They may be struggling at the moment, but when in the past 10 years have we not had one or two batsmen struggling and being carried by the rest? Martyn, Ponting, Langer, both Waughs, and others all went through slumps. That's why Australia has been so good, because they don't rely on one star batsman, unlike most other teams. Give it time, and they will come good.

borat

Bench
JJ said:
poor batting?

You rate their top 3? Its their top 3 that is going to lose them this series. Trescothick should stand himself down from the test team when England plays Australia.

They have a weak top 3 and a one day middle order.

aussies1st

Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:

Ponting i think was just over whelmed by the big occasion. But he should find a way to play softer at the ball at the start of his inns. Hayden is horribly out of touch and is getting old. I think its time to tell Hayden to perform by the end of the series or you're out aka Steve Waugh

aussies1st

Staff member
15 runs of a McGrath over :eek: by KP. Took warne for 6 as well then got out next ball going for the same shot. KP though looks a threat if England actually give him a good platform

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hello people! I am here! Alittle weary after a knee recon which caused my absence. I know you all missed me but fear not for im back for some more banter.:)

And i wasn't quite necking myself. Very, very distraught after such a promising bowling effort. But at the same time i was in awe of McGrath who is unbelieveable.

England's top order batting was pathetic. So, so defensive. If they try and defend non stop to mcGrath then they are going to get out sooner or later. Pietersen showed the way.

Thinsarent looking too good atm. But it aint over yet...need to keep the lead under 275.

Latest posts