What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Melbourne ratings, poor Sydney GF ratings

cheese

Bench
lol listen to the queensland farkwits carry on like skrits

What about a couple of years ago when the Brisbane Lions ratings were flogging everyone in site and there were calls of "league is dying in brisbane" "queensland needs more teams before the AFL dominates wah wah

Im a sydney sider ...and I dont know ONE person that didnt watch the grand final ....so in my eyes, there was no wavering of love for rugby league. Pubs were f**king packed everywhere

I'd like to see the ratings in brisbane for a Wests Vs Manly GF......Id bet they'd be appauling especially considering queensland is the "home of regional rugby league"

get some kleenex you whinging merkins

Samwise

Bench
taxidriver said:
gaterooze.

channel nein would have charged a big premium on ad time given it was the GF.

I'm pretty confident that that premium would also have included some guarantees around ratings.

the sydney ratings were woeful.

Yes they would have charged a high premium for ads, however I highly doubt they would have included tarp guarantees. Perhaps they were negotiated, but they would never give you a guarantee off the bat. Nevertheless, just to speculate that Ch 9 did guarantee Tarps, and they didn't deliver the agreed ratings, this would simply be made up with a bonus spot or two. No way would clients be getting monetary rebates.

regardless, Sydney's ratings were far from woeful. the GF will still come in as one of the most watched programs in Sydney for the year. More than likely top 3.

Bengal

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
Uh, how are we supposed to judge clubs on how successful they would in the NRL if they aren't in the NRL?

Judgment is based on predefined criteria much in the same as the Titans were.

Gotta staduim that meets NRL standards - check
Got financial backing that meets NRL standards - check

Yada, yada, yada.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bengal said:
Judgment is based on predefined criteria much in the same as the Titans were.

Gotta staduim that meets NRL standards - check
Got financial backing that meets NRL standards - check

Yada, yada, yada.
You only reinforce my point. The Titans didn't get Robina until they were a shoe in for the expansion team. How is a new franchise supposed to convince lenders to outlay hundreds of millions of $$$ when they aren't even in the comp?

Bengal

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
You only reinforce my point. The Titans didn't get Robina until they were a shoe in for the expansion team. How is a new franchise supposed to convince lenders to outlay hundreds of millions of $$$ when they aren't even in the comp?

Now you're being lazy! Think man think!

Nothin would ever happen with an outlook like yours.

Life is a gamble, there are NO guarantees

Brutus

Referee
cheese said:
lol listen to the queensland farkwits carry on like skrits

What about a couple of years ago when the Brisbane Lions ratings were flogging everyone in site and there were calls of "league is dying in brisbane" "queensland needs more teams before the AFL dominates wah wah

The Lions' ratings were never flogging everyone in sight. Get your facts straight.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bengal said:
Now you're being lazy! Think man think!

Nothin would ever happen with an outlook like yours.

Life is a gamble, there are NO guarantees

Are you some kind of forum in-joke? Is that why no one else is responding to your ridiculous posts?

Bengal

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
Are you some kind of forum in-joke? Is that why no one else is responding to your ridiculous posts?

You have a defeatest attitude, you can't look past your nose.

The Titans would never had got off the ground with an attitude like yours, they started with NO guarantee of entry, built themselves a credible case, worked from there.

They've met the criteria, meaning, they have all the components needed to have a shot at "building" a successful team.

With your outlook, NO team would have a chance of entering the comp, because the question you ask cannot be measured - but - criteria can be used as a rough guide (measurement) towards potential success, much in the same way as one hires a future employee based on certain qualifications a business seeks, and that, that employee may have in their CV.

It ain't rocket science...just requires a lil bit of thinking, but thinking does take effort, hence why I said you're lazy.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bengal said:
You have a defeatest attitude, you can't look past your nose.

The Titans would never had got off the ground with an attitude like yours, they started with NO guarantee of entry, built themselves a credible case, worked from there.

They've met the criteria, meaning, they have all the components needed to have a shot at "building" a successful team.

With your outlook, NO team would have a chance of entering the comp, because the question you ask cannot be measured - but - criteria can be used as a rough guide (measurement) towards potential success, much in the same way as one hires a future employee based on certain qualifications a business seeks, and that, that employee may have in their CV.

It ain't rocket science...just requires a lil bit of thinking, but thinking does take effort, hence why I said you're lazy.

I'm a huge supporter of expanding the NRL but we're straying from the original point. This is what I originally responded to: "If there are teams out there that are better equipped and more financially viable than the teams currently runnin around, it's worth considering, but are there?"

What I want to know is, how can teams that aren't in the NRL compete financially and otherwise with entrenched NRL clubs? They can't.

Why do you think adding the GC took so long. They needed years to set up backers and create a great proposal to the NRL, even then they were not assured of getting in the comp.

It's great to be optimistic about expanding the league but you also have to be grounded in reality. You can't just expect a new stadium to pop up and millionaire backers to appear from nowhere if you start a new franchsise.

Bengal

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
What I want to know is, how can teams that aren't in the NRL compete financially and otherwise with entrenched NRL clubs? They can't.

Sorry brother, misunderstood your point.

The post I originally responded too inferred that we needed to get rid of more Sydney teams. My point was, you cannot or should not do that, unless the replacing team has similar, if not better credentials (i.e. financial backing, fan base, stadium) than the one it replaces.

That was the original point.

To answer your question, I agree, teams outside of the NRL cannot compete, however, they can mount a credible bid for entry.

PS: I take back (with great pleasure) the lazy comment I directed towards you...the more people that "think", the more people that mount credible arguments, the better it is for this board, and for the game in general.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bengal said:
Sorry brother, misunderstood your point.

The post I originally responded too inferred that we needed to get rid of more Sydney teams. My point was, you cannot or should not do that, unless the replacing team has similar, if not better credentials (i.e. financial backing, fan base, stadium) than the one it replaces.

That was the original point.

To answer your question, I agree, teams outside of the NRL cannot compete, however, they can mount a credible bid for entry.

PS: I take back (with great pleasure) the lazy comment I directed towards you...the more people that "think", the more people that mount credible arguments, the better it is for this board, and for the game in general.

No need to apologise mate, I was the one with the needlessly agressive post. I was replying to some other forumers at the same time and I guess some of the invective from those conversations slipped into the tone of my post. ;-)

ouwet

Bench
IN AN extraordinary sign of each city's parochialism and of Melbourne's sporting fanaticism, more Melburnians watched the rugby league grand final than those in the game's Sydney heartland.

And, almost as surprisingly, the AFL grand final between Sydney and West Coast attracted a higher peak audience in Sydney than the rival code's grand final, in which the Melbourne Storm were beaten by Brisbane.

According to OzTam figures, a staggering peak audience of more than 1 million Melburnians watched the Storm — nearly 100,000 ahead of the Sydney peak (872,000).

The belief that Melbourne is more passionate about sport was upheld by the ratings: while the Swans rated extremely well in Sydney — with a peak of 994,000 and an average of 779,000 — the Storm had a higher average audience in Melbourne.

The figures indicate that Sydney people were much less interested in a league grand final that didn't involve a local team.

Indeed, not only did more Melburnians watch the Storm v Broncos, but the Brisbane audience (peak 889,000) almost matched that of Sydney.

The absence of a Victorian team did not prevent Victorians from watching the AFL final, with a peak of 1.352 million and an average of 1.18 million.

Nine Network chief executive Eddie McGuire has warned the AFL his network will aggressively support rugby league in Melbourne.

Nine's director of sport, Steve Crawley, said Mr McGuire, who only moved to Sydney in February, was the best thing to happen for rugby league in Victoria.

"Eddie warned (AFL chief executive) Andrew Demetriou last week we're going to put all our money and effort behind the rugby league now and they better watch out," Mr Crawley said.

"Then we got over a million (peak audience), so that will make him more aggressive."

Even though ratings fell slightly for the AFL grand final, it is set to be the most popular television event of the year — outside the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony — with an average audience of more than 3.15 million (down from 3.39 million last year).

The NRL grand final's national audience of 2.56 million (identical to last year) makes it the fifth most-watched event of the official 2006 ratings year.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/melburnians-in-league-of-their-own-watching-sport/2006/10/02/1159641264356.html

i didn't watch it and i don;t believe the rating figures either as they are always inflated - i will never watch a g/f between interstate teams and especially 2 news limited teams.

You ARL team supporters should be ashamed to have either gone to it or watched it.

News is wrecking the game along with gallop and both should be punted - why are news being reimbursed 10 mill a year when ARL clubs are not.

get rid of murdock and gallop

mark123

Juniors
Yeah that guy needs to stop the suicide thoughts in his head....

To him i say: Um, mate, he's only wrecking it because you are letting him wreck it due to your not supporting it. In a roundabout way you are wrecking it for yourself.

Its the old argument again, will you ever let it die?

The fact remains that this is the NRL. Some of the merged teams would have died by now. Even souths, who did die, are only scraping through. They have been virtually transformed by millionare backers, because the people who were there before them had no clue.

You can say that about any number of sydney clubs.

You want league to prosper? Support it. Its about the game, not the money behind it when it comes to support. There is a whole raft of things that supporters have nothing to do with such as the money side. So get over it. Some clubs were not up to scratch.

Would you rather watch a beat up old combie go round, or a flash new car with a pedigree....and while we are touching on tradition....people are always going on about the negatives.....how about the positives.....being a part of things now is all about "YOU making your mark on a new tradition while carrying on the old traditions that are still relevant"

Some people in league are small minded.

I am a broncos supporter.....now if the broncos were a club that was holding the league back and they were pathetic, hadnt done a good thing for years in all facets.....mate i wouldnt support their continuation in the comp. I'd want them booted[if the circumstances were right and it was a waste of time for them being around]. Some can argue that was the case for the enormous amount of sydney clubs back in the 90's.

Sometimes its fair to say that because of peoples lack of support for their club, it means that clubs demise. Or the lack of available supporters. If you dig a ditch, sometimes you dont get out of it. Sad. But true. Its life.

You cant tell me wests and balmain by themselves were any good for making our great game better? And souths? Come off it....maybe souths now, yes, but not then. Sydney still doesnt give its teams support (you still would have been supporting sydney league teams simply by watching the GF because they are a part of RL too and the GF benifits RL)

You should have watched the grand final. You have let the league down, and you have let yourself down.

You wrongly (and i am sorry no one told you) thought you were doing something to make things better. BUt you weren't.

Be a part of a new tradition, a new thing, be the first to make an impact on its future traditional values. Its not like they were playing some other game.... Its not going to make everything better, but it sure wont make it worse.

Your team wasn't there? Too bad, they werent good enough.....dont start supporting mediocrity just to have your team there. No sydney team was there??? Boo hoo....i live in brisbane, and i have watched plenty of GF's not involving a SINGLE QLD team. I dont support mediocrity pal. Its a competition, surivial of the fittest, and if you had any testosterone, you'd know just how great that concept is!

And people wonder why league has problems, and/or perceives it as having problems.

I can hardly blame people from all the stuff we hear about the game from the media (and sometimes ourselves).

::::That needs to change first. I suggest a media censorship agreement. :::::

And it would mean no commentators would wreck the enjoyment of the night.....for instance,

Gould "That was a very bad call/this should have happend/its pathetic, i cant beleive it/it needs to change/he's hopeless at reffing"

IN AFL "That was a contentious call.. maybe he was hard done by! Lets get into it another time, we dont want to ruin the enjoyment of our great day."

Other afl commentator "Thats right, grand final day is not the place for that kind of discussion"

Which ones better. We'd all love to hang Gould. Fact of the matter is, we just need to re-direct his insight or bottle other things up.

TAKE NOTE NRL!