What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

possm

Coach
What do Tony Quirk and Mark Shulman have in common.
They took over from club legends in 1976. Graham Langlands evaluated his own performance and pulled the pin in April of that season; Billy Smith ( our last great halfback in my opinion) finished the year in reserve grade. One determined his own fete and one demoted. Both favourite sons and Red V legends. What a sad time that was for me as a 16 year old Dragons tragic.
Now as a 52 year Dragon tragic I am wishing Hornby either gets a second wind a determines his own exit or if he shows continued signs of a form slump someone taps him on the shoulder for the good of the team. What a brave coach or admin that introduced Billy Smith to the reserve grade coach.
One way or another we need a half back to drive us and create some attack; I doubt Hornby can conjure that and I'd love him to make his own call.

Quoted from Jubilee Avenue; Our Proud History.
April 1976:* Graeme 'Changa' Langlands has announced his retirement from Rugby League. Determined to make amends for the 1975 grand final, Langlands returned to the football field for one more season in 1976. But he struggled to make an impression and in the fourth round, the writing was on the wall when he missed a simple tackle on Wests' hooker John Purcell. For the next two days, Langlands considered his future and then decided to call it a day.

What a great post. it's not all about Hornby and his feelings. It's all about our great club and the youngsters coming through. No one should have to tap Hornby on the shoulder. Great players know when it is time and Hornby should just front up and say he is retiring at the end of this seasn and would like to do all he can this year to help find a suitable replacement.

That might mean putting Kyle on the bench and giving him increasingly more time in the halves. In my opinion not an insult to a player we hold in high regard who would be retiring at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
I like to think Hornbag has some sort of leeway after turning up for us week-in, week-out for the past 10+ years. Has won a SOO series at fullback, captained us to a GF win and has played for Australia. He's just about achieved it all and someone with a ridiculous name like "bring back choc' is giving it to him. I'll be surprised if Benny doesn't retire at season's end anyway, he's got nothing left to prove and will go out as a genuine club legend.

ps-Mundine's a f*ck-knuckle dragging Aussie boxing into the mud

The reason why Langlands played on in 1976 was because Frank Facer insisted. Chang's reputation came to grief in the 1975 grand final and Facer wanted him to play one more season and get one more 'Man of the Match' award so he could could retire on a high note. It didn't work out that way.

I do remember that 76 season quite well.
It started out in many ways similar to this season. Most critics felt the team was not performing, after being grand finalists in 75. Chang was struggling with injury and retired, but remained as non-playing coach (which also proved to be his final year in that role). At that stage, the side wasn't showing a lot and looked like dropping out of the race for the finals. But an amazing transformation came over the team mid-season, and with a bunch of young guys in the side, they went on a winning run, and ended up finishing 3rd on the ladder - but unfortunately lost the momentum again come finals time. But it lead to a premiership the very next year.
I'm sure the players were doing it for Chang that year. Maybe this group can do something similar for Benny this year and next?

jenninga

First Grade
Thanks Willow for the background on '76 with Langlands and Smith. What I said about Ben Hornby I wish was in another thread because I don't like or agree with Hornby being useless; but I also know people loath a new thread along a similar theme. I'd much prefer Hornby leave on his own terms but I'd also prefer us to not be known as the attacking dullards of the comp too and much of that rests on a teams halfback. So I am hoping he can produce and the coach can inspire around him. I like what he is doing with Marketo and DeBelin in giving them a taste ready to replace Young and Scott next year. A bit harder with half and captain to give a young playmaker a taste; an apprenticeship while Ben is in the team. Is it possible in this day and age to carry a half on the bench and give him 10-15 minutes in games and Ben have a breather. Going by carrying Cherry-Evans in the test I'd say no. It's certainly is a conundrum but I am in the camp that hopes Hornby can kick again and lead us back through the pack to the semis. All interesting banter from passionate supporters...
Kyle at 6 and Soward at 7,Benny on the bench ,unfortunately for either King or Rein,just for this season.Then Benny can retire at the end of the season.

nontime111

Juniors
BEN HORNBY.........LEGEND and THEE most capped Dragon of all time.
Hes no dill, He needs no losers like us on this forum telling him anything, the man is one of the brightest sparks in league and knows full well his own body and energy levels, he will know when to retire, and only him.
Let him go as long as he likes hes WAY more Red and White then anyone on this forum
LOVE YOU HORNBY!!!!
MASSIVE RESPECT BROTHER YOUR THE GREATEST DRAGON OF THE LAST 20 YEARS EASILY A TOWERING LEGEND OF THE MODERN GAME BIG RESPECT!!

possm

Coach
It seems to me that some members are confusing the love, respect and appreciation we all feel for Hornby with the justifiable opinions on which way forward at this point in time. To say Hornby is useless is wrong however, to point out that his form is contributing to the Dragons lack of success is not necessarily wrong; it is an opinion. An opinion we all don't have to agree with or disagree with. An opinion we should respect and either support or argue against. I think that is what this forum is all about.

Most on here know my opinion on this subject. And I can say my opinion has been influenced by some good agrument from both sides of the subject however, I cannot get away from the fact that the Dragons are performing poorly and have been doing so for quite some time. It seems to be that one of the main reasons for this poor performance is the lack of attacking flair from the halves. It is very apparant that Hornby has slowed up and because of this, he is stifling the attack, missing some important tackles and making some momentum breaking errors.

Really all that needs to be done this year in relation to this problem is to progressively inject Kyle into the halves. In this way Hornby would playout his last year in the top grade, all-be-it in part off the bench. Price could by years end have an informed opinion on the suitablity of Kyle to replace Hornby in the halves - at 6 or 7.

Last edited:

blacklock

Juniors
Delete this thread!!!

whoever made it is a f**king dumb merkin that should go support SOuths
you do realise by POSTING in a thread, you promote it to the top rather than letting it sink out of view?

If you dont have anything constructive to add, then just dont read it..dont post in it lol

Ben Hornby is playing rubbish football and people are allowed to state that :) Soward would make a much better captain. I hope he gets promoted as he is the future of our club. He is our alfie langer :)

64 Dragon

Coach
you do realise by POSTING in a thread, you promote it to the top rather than letting it sink out of view?

If you dont have anything constructive to add, then just dont read it..dont post in it lol

Ben Hornby is playing rubbish football and people are allowed to state that :) Soward would make a much better captain. I hope he gets promoted as he is the future of our club. He is our alfie langer :)

Jamie Soward is rumoured to be heading to Wigan on a 3 year contract. SMH this morning.

blacklock

Juniors
Jamie Soward is rumoured to be heading to Wigan on a 3 year contract. SMH this morning.

hopefully he doesnt, otherwise we're up a creek. although he doesnt run it as much as we would like, he creates problems for the defense when he does.

his defense has come a long way too.

Bring back choc

Juniors
hopefully he doesnt, otherwise we're up a creek. although he doesnt run it as much as we would like, he creates problems for the defense when he does.

his defense has come a long way too.

His manager said is absolute rubbish. No contact whatsoever has been even made with wigan.
A beat up of epic proportions.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I hope the fools on here who continue to plead the case for price, hunt and co can see what's happening tonight.

We have absolutely nothing. Players do not want to be there. At 18-6 we had a set of six in their 30m zone. 4 mins on clock to go. We should have a leader (hornby) that makes sure the mission is to score or get a repeat set and build pressure. What did we do? Morris kicks on 4th tackle, we lose Posession, give away a penalty and then they score.

Seriously it's embarrassing.

But as price says "we'll come good".

f**k me

Last edited:

Saint69

Juniors
I agree it is embarrassing,we should have been putting pressure on them at their end,not giving up a try just before halftime,and Morris kicked it on the 5th tackle and he probably shouldnt be kicking the ball too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts