What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Hornby has been the heart and soul of the team for some years but when he took out that player to concede a penalty it showed he can be as dumb as dog shit sometimes. I love you Benny...but give yourself an uppercut

cliffordg

Juniors
He does a block like that every week, has for yrs. always wait for a penalty to be blown, n hell do it again next week

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hornby has been the heart and soul of the team for some years but when he took out that player to concede a penalty it showed he can be as dumb as dog shit sometimes. I love you Benny...but give yourself an uppercut

And the taking out of a player when it was nowhere near him when Nightingale had it covered goes to show just what poor judgement he has ....and especially from the skipper and seasoned veteran...dumb dumb dumb

Willow

Assistant Moderator
IMO it should not have been a penalty.

Mind you, I was at a disadvantage. I was watching the game without any opinionated commentary.

blacklock

Juniors
IMO it should not have been a penalty.

Mind you, I was at a disadvantage. I was watching the game without any opinionated commentary.
he didnt help his cause with the exaggerated dive which only drew attention to the line he was taking.

his body ended up away from the ball as opposed to had he been doing a convincing job where he would have been running at the ball directly.

TheRev

Coach
I didnt think it was a dive, I thought he got hurled a** over t** by the defender.

Its a fine line though, they werent penalised for taking out of our chasers in their length of the field try, regardless of whether we would have caught him, its basically the same situation in reverse.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Correct me on this if you like, but wasn't Hornby further away than the Canberra player who ran a block that led to them being awarded a try?

That Canberra player turned 90 degrees to take out any chance of cover defence. Not only did he give the ball carrier a clean tail, but he helped him to improve his position behind the goal line.

Now was Hornby's worse than that?

blacklock

Juniors
Correct me on this if you like, but wasn't Hornby further away than the Canberra player who ran a block that led to them being awarded a try?

That Canberra player turned 90 degrees to take out any chance of cover defence. Not only did he give the ball carrier a clean tail, but he helped him to improve his position behind the goal line.

Now was Hornby's worse than that?
theyre not going to rule an obstruction for someone running inside support to the try line. he had every right to be there in support. had he been in front of the play or held onto one of our players, then fair enough...it would be an obstruction, but he doesnt have to move out of the way for our players to catch up.

hornbys was worse in that it was unnecessary and the chasers werent likely to get any where near the ball on the full.

either way...we flubbed it and then kicked the short kickoff right to canberra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What I saw was a support player running into cover defenders. He only had eyes for them.

Hornby and the chasers were a good distance from the play.

blacklock

Juniors
What I saw was a support player running into cover defenders. He only had eyes for them.

Hornby and the chasers were a good distance from the play.

try line | raider chasing | hornby | nightingale catching the ball

try line | raider | support raider| dragons defenders chasing

hornby was ahead of the play impeding the chaser. the raider running in support was behind the play in relation to the ball carrier and the direction of play.

its like when a team gets penalised whilst in possession for other players standing in front of the ruck and impeding defenders.

anyway...pointless debating it now. we were in a position to win and didnt.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I understand all that blacklock. Different incidents. Although both were blocking plays and benefit was given to the team attacking the goal line. One was penalised, one was not.

The fact that they (video ref) looked at the Raiders try before awarding it shows there was some initial doubt from the whistle blowers.

Btw, I did see the Raiders try again this morning and I'm of the view that Nightingale would have got to the try scorer. He may not have tackled him into touch, but he would have tackled him and that's enough to put a serious question mark over the try. The try-scorer gained an advantage from his team mate running a block. Two cover defenders were impeded, one was closing in. Who knows what would happened once Nightingale got a hand on the ball-carrier?

Can you imagine the uproar if we scored a try like that?

FTR, I still think the try would have been scored. Equally, I don't think the Raiders were ever a chance of scoring at the other end when Hornby got in the way. Nevertheless, we were penalised, they were not.

But geez, the refs weren't backward in getting technical with us when we were defending our line. For example, was Soward really offsifde when he came up off the line late in the tackle count? They got a try from that. During the game, the refs picked a number of small breaches against us late in the tackle count. Presumably the Raiders were squeaky clean...?

But it's all academic now, as you say. Bottom line is that Raiders were the better team on the night and played what looked like their best game of the year.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Here's a scenario I thought of. Sure the Dragons defenders weren't going to get Robinson, but if they had not been obstructed then Reece would of scored in the corner making the conversion difficult. Because of the obstruction, Reece scores a bit closer to the posts.

What would have happened if Canberra kicks the goal and we end up losing by 2?

I'm just saying...that's all

blacklock

Juniors
He may not have tackled him into touch, but he would have tackled him and that's enough to put a serious question mark over the try. The try-scorer gained an advantage from his team mate running a block. Two cover defenders were impeded, one was closing in. Who knows what would happened once Nightingale got a hand on the ball-carrier?

FTR, I still think the try would have been scored. Equally, I don't think the Raiders were ever a chance of scoring at the other end when Hornby got in the way. Nevertheless, we were penalised, they were not.

But geez, the refs weren't backward in getting technical with us when we were defending our line. For example, was Soward really offsifde when he came up off the line late in the tackle count? They got a try from that. During the game, the refs picked a number of small breaches against us late in the tackle count. Presumably the Raiders were squeaky clean...?

But it's all academic now, as you say. Bottom line is that Raiders were the better team on the night and played what looked like their best game of the year.

hmmm i get what you mean. oh well...we have a hand full of games to salvage a place in the finals, if results go our way.

saint06

Juniors
They should have pushed the winger into Robinson - let him make the initial tackle, and our guys could have completed it!

TheRev

Coach
In terms of Hornby himself though, I still actually think hes skilled enough to build around, hes absorbing a lot of the team pressure, which frees up Soward to focus on attack... and hes still running hard at the line constantly.

But if you want to really spice up things and take a new path, getting someone young and exciting into the halves would do it, I just dont think we actually have that person in our squad yet, i.e. someone who could do any better than Hornby does, I still think that the club is intending to buy someone for 2013 (if they can).

On the other hand, this could be an excuse to get Rein/King/Fein all back into the 1 team, but I really cant see a club captain/legend being dumped for a hooker who cant seem to hold a 1st grade spot.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I understand all that blacklock. Different incidents. Although both were blocking plays and benefit was given to the team attacking the goal line. One was penalised, one was not.

The fact that they (video ref) looked at the Raiders try before awarding it shows there was some initial doubt from the whistle blowers.

Btw, I did see the Raiders try again this morning and I'm of the view that Nightingale would have got to the try scorer. He may not have tackled him into touch, but he would have tackled him and that's enough to put a serious question mark over the try. The try-scorer gained an advantage from his team mate running a block. Two cover defenders were impeded, one was closing in. Who knows what would happened once Nightingale got a hand on the ball-carrier?

haha willow with his head in the sand as per usual... blame the refs... blame the cold.... blame the rules.... blame anything but inept coaching, recruitment and management.

Dribbler.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I didn't blame the ref child. Nor did I blame the cold or the rules. I didn't even mention the weather. Learn some comprehension and cease trolling our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts