What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

WYD

Juniors
Seeing we're playing Canterbury Brett Sherwin came to mind. I think it's a fair comparison, neither were blessed with the most natural talent but were smart footballers and had successful careers. When Sherwin hit the wall it was tough to watch, same thing is happening with Hornby.

TheRev

First Grade
Hornby is still making half-breaks up the middle, we can work with that, and it means we keep our captain on the field. Possibly need to give kick-off duty to someone else, Soward if hes keen.

If we are serious about replacing Hornby "in-house" then someone needs to be in the lower grades showing us what they have (and im sure we are buying externally for this very reason). Despite the claims in this thread, throwing someone brand new into the position on the hope that they will suddenly become a great half is highly unlikely, they will get thrown to the wolves.

Fire

First Grade
I spoke to Hornby after the game last night. He'll be playing next season; wants to crack the 300 NRL games record.

64 Dragon

Coach
I spoke to Hornby after the game last night. He'll be playing next season; wants to crack the 300 NRL games record.

Is that the only reason he wants to play on? What about the good of the team? I am a Hornby fan, but it pains me to see some of his "hospital passes" to forwards with no chance of either catching the ball or cracking the defence.

possm

Coach
Hornby is still making half-breaks up the middle, we can work with that, and it means we keep our captain on the field. Possibly need to give kick-off duty to someone else, Soward if hes keen.

If we are serious about replacing Hornby "in-house" then someone needs to be in the lower grades showing us what they have (and im sure we are buying externally for this very reason). Despite the claims in this thread, throwing someone brand new into the position on the hope that they will suddenly become a great half is highly unlikely, they will get thrown to the wolves.

Soward is the logical replacement for Hornby and as captain.

Give King and once he recovers, Kyle a go at 6 this year. One of these players could be the answer.

TruSaint

Referee
TS, we are all entitled to our opinions. Most people here would agree on that (except Bring back choc).

Given what you said re your 52 years of support, we both saw Langlands play. I trust we can agree that, by 1976, he was in a far worst state than Hornby is in 2012. Of course Chang had a lot more riding on him, he pretty much carried the team for so many years that he found himself playing beyond the busted legs.

IMO, Langlands should have retired at the end of 1974, but he kept on due to the insistence of the club.

1975 was to be his last year, but the grand final changed that.

The reason why Langlands played on in 1976 was because Frank Facer insisted. Chang's reputation came to grief in the 1975 grand final and Facer wanted him to play one more season and get one more 'Man of the Match' award so he could could retire on a high note. It didn't work out that way.

Changa's greatest moment in his twilight years was in 1974 when he was captain-coach of Australia and we won the Ashes. He was held aloft by team mates as the crowd chanted his name. Perhaps he should have retired then, but he was needed and kept on playing. Being the champion he was, Langlands was the top point scorer (again) and got us to the '75 grand final. But he was on pain killers, as we know.

Billy Smith was a little different. He found himself on the outer for disciplinary reasons. Hornby hasn't given the club any reason like that to drop him.

But like Changa, I can't help but feel that the club needs Hornby. While we don't have a good alternative halfback, Hornby has to keep on playing. Yes, when I watch him, he looks to have lost the edge. But he tries his heart out. And it's hard to dump a player who has done nothing wrong off the field, and on the field he is working overtime to inspire his team mates.

W your last paragrah said it all. I cannot is all reality ask this gentleman of the game, and Dragon legend to leave on any terms ohter than his. I believe he has at least earnt that right.

64 Dragon

Coach
W your last paragrah said it all. I cannot is all reality ask this gentleman of the game, and Dragon legend to leave on any terms ohter than his. I believe he has at least earnt that right.

Let him pick his time. We owe him that. It would be great to see the team win all the time, but it doesn't happen that way.

Just remember the words, "This is one for the True Believers".

Enough said!

Drew-Sta

Staff member

Forgotten how to read?

There's a spectrum of supporters. It goes like this:

Sentimental <----------- Moderate -----------> Cold-hearted perfectionist.

I won't bother telling you where you sit. I'm sure you can work that out for yourself.

If he did make that statement about cracking the 300 and thats all he cares about thats the most selfish thing he'll ever say.

This guy is the leader what a crock of shit he's selfish and that statement proves it going out on his own terms at the exspense of looking like a wanker I rather quit while I am ahead and still have some sort of reputation.

possm

Coach
The team should be picked on form. Sometimes a player can be given a little bit of grace but in the end the team and the Club are what matters.

Price should sit down with Hornby and state the obvious. So many great players don't need to be told but now and then one pops up that has to be managed.

Hornby is passed it and has been so for over a year. It is time to move on and make the necessary changes.

Father Ted

First Grade
But Possm thanks to our front office planning there's no other halfback to pick even if we want to.

gypsy

Bench
Tell us again possm what you would like, in case someone missed it the first 500 times...

Fire

First Grade
Hi everyone. Sorry, no I didn't really speak to Hornby. I was just stirring shit up on here.

possm

Coach
Tell us again possm what you would like, in case someone missed it the first 500 times...

None so blind as those who will not see ......

If you don't agee with the opinion, put up a decent argument that makes sense.

blacklock

Juniors
i think after tonights overall performance (with a few exceptions) showed he needs to call it quits at the end of the year. rein was much more effective

redvforlife

Juniors
i think after tonights overall performance (with a few exceptions) showed he needs to call it quits at the end of the year. rein was much more effective

I think tonight's performance actually shows why he needs to quit NOW. Season is over for us anyway, why not let us try some half combinations and work out what we need to do next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts