What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

nontime111

Juniors
Yeh but he debuted in 2015. How could he not secure a spot since then especially with their injuries in the backs and Isaako just leap frogged him. Bennett did not see much in him?.That speaks volumes but willing to give any outsider a chance at our club but we have been down that road before with Kemp (all similar features) which what worries me.
dont know at all, maybe they had a glut of pretty good wingers Id say, only thing I can think of, and couldnt give them all a go in top grade, he carved it up at Redcliffe so lets give him a go, my friends happy for us and excited also to see how hell go, good people up there brother and the lads a top fella also lovely bloke, will be a good fit for us and I just hope he gets hi chance in top grade and CARVES!

possm

Coach
Hunt: not the new kid anymore
Halfback Ben Hunt is currently undertaking his second pre-season with the Dragons and is enjoying having some former teammates back by his side.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/30/hunt-not-the-new-kid-anymore/
Any talk of Hunt being selected a 9 is way off target and a bit silly. Yes Hunt would make a difference in attack seizing opportunities at dummy half however, you don't have to be a hooker to do that, you simply just go to dummy half at the right time and scoot down field or kick that 40/20, field goal or judicious touch finder.

For the first time since I can remember we have the opportunity to select a hooker rotation that I second to none in the competition - McInnes/Robson. The rub is that if we do not make room for Robson on the bench, we may very well lose him for 2020 and beyond.

mickeylane

Bench
Any talk of Hunt being selected a 9 is way off target and a bit silly. Yes Hunt would make a difference in attack seizing opportunities at dummy half however, you don't have to be a hooker to do that, you simply just go to dummy half at the right time and scoot down field or kick that 40/20, field goal or judicious touch finder.

For the first time since I can remember we have the opportunity to select a hooker rotation that I second to none in the competition - McInnes/Robson. The rub is that if we do not make room for Robson on the bench, we may very well lose him for 2020 and beyond.
I’m yet to see Robson excel in first grade and until he does in my eyes he’s just a promising IPL player.. let’s not get too excited yet - team first and IMO Dufty has first dibs on the No.14 jersey!

BLM01

First Grade
LOL..The Dragons media. This interview with Hunt is 3 weeks ago..
.but about time they give us something from this year so praise when its due. :rolleyes:

Bench
With the signing of Norman and Sims plus our two wingers we should have attacking players all over the field.
All we need is McIdiot to get it all together.

denis preston

First Grade
I’m yet to see Robson excel in first grade and until he does in my eyes he’s just a promising IPL player.. let’s not get too excited yet - team first and IMO Dufty has first dibs on the No.14 jersey!
Agree Micky, he still has to earn his time in NRL.Unfortunately our coach's interpretation of ëarn is 4 minutes at the end of the game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Family, NFL and Corey Norman: Why a revitalised Ben Hunt is primed for the 2019 NRL season
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

226ea3e2dfa704fd82a9f94009c9d6f0

Ben Hunt says he's more equipped to handle whatever rugby league throws at him in 2019.Source: FOX SPORTS
Rugby league threw plenty at Ben Hunt last year.
As St George Illawarra’s marquee recruit, the star halfback had to endure a mountain of unfair criticism which affected him to the point where he sought the help of a mental health professional.

The carping critics even prompted Hunt’s wife, Bridget, to leap to her husband’s defence via social media, warning them of the affects constant criticism can have.

But for all the negativity, there’s no denying Hunt was a key reason why the Red V returned to finals football for the first time since 2015 — and won their first finals game since the 2010 Grand Final.

Now, after experiencing what he describes as one of his “toughest patches”, Hunt believes he’s better equipped to mentally handle whatever comes his way as he looks to take the Dragons further in his second season wearing the famous jumper.

“Personally, I feel like I’ve gotten on top of everything that’s come at me so far,” Hunt told League Life’s Lara Pitt.

“Before last year I thought I was pretty well on top of it and had everything under control, but rugby league and life throw you different challenges all the time and new things come up.

“I think there’s never going to be enough learning or education about mental health.

“I definitely think I’m better equipped.”

47742e93a4d6f7cfe31675ed84b30e9d

Ben Hunt (right) experienced a roller coaster 2018 season.Source: AAP
Hunt had a dream start to his time at the Dragons with the side winning an impressive nine of their first 11 games.

The 28-year-old was selected in the Queensland Origin side at halfback, and it was when he was dropped to the bench for game three for some poor playmaking decisions, his confidence started to wane.

The Dragons limped towards the finals while Gareth Widdop was sidelined with a shoulder injury and Hunt copped a lot of the blame.

“I went through probably one of the toughest patches I’ve been in,” Hunt said.

“I found different ways away from football to clear my mind and completely get away from rugby league and freshen the mind up and come back and enjoy what I was doing.

“It seems like a lot of coaches are trying to drill that into their players at the moment. They really want you to get away from footy when you’re not training or playing and enjoy time with your family or whatever you enjoy doing.”

So what’s the Maroons star’s outlet away from football?

b84ce596e973b11b28679478860c4d83

2018 was a year of highs and lows for Ben Hunt.Source: AAP
“Mainly my family at the moment, enjoying their company,” Hunt said.

“Moving down to Sydney we didn’t have any family and left a lot of friends at home.

“And mainly the NFL season, that’s something I really enjoy. That came around at a good time in the off-season … I’m a Patriots fan.

“Everyone gets into me that I’m a bandwagoner. I did start supporting them because were good, but I also started following them because they used to be the team I’d play with in Madden on PlayStation.

“After that I started watching NFL and I started supporting them.”

Hunt will form a new halves combination at the Dragons in 2019 alongside recruit Corey Norman, with Widdop shifting to fullback.

The duo are well acquainted, however, having played together at Brisbane, but only once did they play together in the halves at NRL level before Norman joined Parramatta.

When Hunt found out the Dragons were targeting Norman, he backed the club’s plans, urging them to look beyond his chequered history.

0735019b14bc56929340a9fca508a298

Corey Norman will link up again withSource: Getty Images
“He’s just a quality footballer,” Hunt said.

“No matter what position, the more good footballers you can get in your club the better you’re going to be.

“He’s played a few different positions in his time and every time he’s done that I thought he’s played really well.

“Personally, I thought I could gel with him really well and I know Gareth can chime in with him well also.”

While Hunt said his role won’t change in the No.7, he believed the addition of Norman to the backline with Widdop would only make the side more lethal.

“My role will be similar at halfback steering us around the field,” Hunt said.

“Between those two, they’re really similar players in that either can play fullback or five-eighth and chime in.

“So between the three of us, you’re going to have a better mix of rotating around the field and combining with each other, rather than having a designated half or five-eighth on either side of the field.”

Despite the NRL standing down of Jack de Belin, the premiership window is wide open for the Red V in 2019 — and the side will be desperate to deliver knowing this is Widdop’s final season before he joins Warrington next year.

“It’s definitely a huge opportunity,” Hunt said.

“Getting Corey on-board is a massive boost for us.

“But if we really want to push for something, this is the prime year to do it.

“If we have a bit of luck with injuries and keep a good team together, I think we’ve got a pretty handy squad.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/0595a34a10ae9922d8d1654bd1cb5d2a

getsmarty

Immortal
Gelling with Dragons' spine tough: Hunt
By AAP
an hour ago
St George Illawarra's Ben Hunt admits captain Gareth Widdop's switch to fullback has made it difficult to combine with new halves partner Corey Norman.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor's decision to move Widdop from five-eighth to No.1 this season has come under fire, with the likes of Andrew Johns calling for the Englishman to return to pivot.

The criticism only got louder after the Dragons slumped to a 0-2 season start following their 34-18 NRL loss to South Sydney last week.

Hunt admits he is yet to work out how to complement Norman at five-eighth and Widdop at fullback ahead of Thursday night's NRL clash with his former club Brisbane.

"It is pretty difficult (combining with Norman), especially when you put Gaz in the mix as well," Hunt said.

"You've got the three of us all trying to create and do different things.

"You've got to work out the best time to inject yourself and the best time to step back and let the other players do their job.

"We just have to find that balance and complement each other."

Asked if he was confident Widdop would fire at fullback, Hunt said: "He's a weapon no matter where he is in the team.

"He is one of the best players I have played with. You have got to have him in your 17 somewhere.

"Whether it is six or one he is going to do a great job for us."

Hunt was confident the only way was up for the Dragons' new-look spine.

"It is coming along OK. Obviously it can be a lot better," he said.

"We have had patches where I thought we were really good and working together.

"And there have been different times in the game where we sort of fell away a bit and didn't stick to the gameplan.

"They are things we have to fix up, but we are working every day to try and get a feel for each other - I think we will only get better."

Hunt looked forward to earning "bragging rights" against his former club after helping the Dragons down Brisbane twice last year - including a 48-18 thumping in the 2018 elimination final.

But Hunt predicted the Dragons would line up against a very different Brisbane this year with new coach Anthony Seibold at the helm.

"We got a couple of good wins on them last year but I feel like it is completely different this year," he said.

"They have a new coach and are playing completely different football. It's kind of a fresh start for them."

:copyright:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/gellin...ugh-hunt/fe3d1bfd-8999-4601-a127-c4d32fb83839

Banjo2014

Juniors
In the Philippines at this time and turned it over to Youtube and watched the Cowboys Nroncos grand final.

Had not seen it before.

Poor old Ben dropping the ball from the kick off during Golden Point.

Man how do you come back from that?

Have a huge one this week old mate - give it to em

Overseas dragon

Juniors
In the Philippines at this time and turned it over to Youtube and watched the Cowboys Nroncos grand final.

Had not seen it before.

Poor old Ben dropping the ball from the kick off during Golden Point.

Man how do you come back from that?

Have a huge one this week old mate - give it to em
yes im over here as well mate im in cavite manila where are you at mate

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb--1gp_6740.jpg

DRAGONS

Hunt knows combination with Norman must improve
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 27 Mar 2019, 09:01 AM
gouldjoe-head.png

Former Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt has outlined the difficulties of adjusting to a new halves combination with Corey Norman at the Dragons and conceded the partnership can be "a lot better".

As the Dragons prepare to face Brisbane on Thursday, the club's new-look spine of Hunt and Norman in the halves and Gareth Widdop at fullback is under pressure after failing to click in losses to the Cowboys and Rabbitohs.

Hunt is hoping for a change of fortune as he prepares to return to Suncorp Stadium for the first time since the Dragons thrashed Brisbane 48-18 in last year’s elimination semi-final.

"It is coming along OK. Obviously it can still be a lot better," Hunt said after the Dragons arrived in Brisbane on Tuesday.

"We've had patches in games where we were really good at working together, and different times where we fell away a bit and didn't stick to the game plan.

"They are things that we have to fix up. We are working every day at training to sort each other's game out and get a feel for each other. I think we will only get better."

hunt_rc1_0197.jpg

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Last year Hunt won the race to the Maroons' No.7 jersey in game one of the State of Origin series. He often said that having Widdop at five-eighth was a perfect complement to his game.

He conceded adjusting to the change in the halves dynamic had been a challenge.

"It is pretty difficult, especially when you put Gaz [Widdop] in the mix as well. You've got the three of us all trying to create," he said.

"You've got to work out the best time to inject yourself and the best time to step back and let the other players do that as well. You've just got to find the right balance."

While Widdop is in the custodian's role, Hunt was adamant he could still be a match-winner at the back.

"He's a weapon wherever he is in the team," Hunt said.

"I've said many times that he is one of the best players I’ve played with. Whether it is six or one he is going to do a great job for us."

Broncos forward Alex Glenn said on Tuesday that Hunt thrived on games against his old club and would be seeking "bragging rights".

normanc-190321083.jpg

Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
It is two wins from two so far for Hunt who starred in the round one win over Brisbane last year and in the 2018 elimination semi.

"I don’t mind having bragging rights against some of my mates that I've played a lot of footy with," he said.

"I really enjoy it. I'm coming up against Alex on my edge and he's been a great friend of mind for a long time."

Hunt said it was "massive" on a personal note to return to Suncorp Stadium.

"I played my first game down there [at Kogarah] against the Broncos last year and it wasn’t as emotional as coming back to Suncorp," he said.

"You've got all the old fans up here and the stadium I played so long at. You are sitting in the away dressing room and that is the strangest feeling to start with and then you run out on the opposite side of the field. It is a whirlwind of emotions that is for sure."

Hunt noted the change of style the Broncos were playing with under Anthony Seibold while expressing his surprise at the exit of former coach Wayne Bennett.

"It was a bit of a shock really. I thought with Wayne coming home [in 2015] he would finish his career there and ride off into the sunset but it all got a bit crazy there and dragged out," he said.

"Talking to some of my [former] team-mates they were happy when it was all sorted out.

"I think anyone that has watched the first two rounds knows they are playing a different style of footy to last year. They are very creative with their attack and really showed what they can do against the Cowboys. It is going to be an explosive game."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/27/hunt-knows-combination-with-norman-must-improve/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Just quietly, Hunt has been playing pretty well even in losing games. Looks dangerous.

Also this level of speaking out negatively about the spine from players almost feels unprecedented

I would like to Ben improve his bombs.
So far this season, they are easily picked off by the unopposed backline and just seems like he's giving the opposition an easy last tackle option.

Our wingers should know what he's gong to do and be up in their face / challenging ...................
McGregor should be giving him some direction.