What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Smith and Dean Widders...Gorne...?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well if Ben leaves and we sign Carmont under Hagan and all of a sudden Carmont is the first choice number 3...Wouldn't you support him?

Stagger eel

Staff member
you'd have to support every player that runs out in the Blue and Golds in whatever grade they play in..

parralight

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Well if Ben leaves and we sign Carmont under Hagan and all of a sudden Carmont is the first choice number 3...Wouldn't you support him?

With all my heart and soul...

The Colonel

Immortal
Regardless of where or what Brian is doing and Denis has done with 20 players off contract and the Titans joining the comp there was every chance that rumours such as these would happen.

Personally I don't think Ben Smith will leave and we'll here more about that sooner rather than later. However, I can see Deano following Brian.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I understand the speculation about who's going where but at this stage but there's absolutely no evidence of Carmont coming, so I wouldn't even worry about it at this stage.

Hurriflatch

Referee
As Eela said (at least I think it was him) this won't be happening for another 12 mths, regardless of what Ben Smith or Dean Widders do in 2007 they will be Parramatta players in 2006

People are worrying about 2007 before 2006 has even started, just because Brian Smith is going to Newcastle doesn't mean every single off contract Parra player will follow him likewise Knights players to Parra or Raiders players to Penrith or Penrith players to wherever Johnny Lang ends up which could ironically be Canberra.

Certain players & coaches/officials have the "special connection" Gould/Fittler C.Anderson/Kimmorley, Cleal/Lyon. But that doesn't mwan every player does.

Even as recently as round 8 2005 there were doubts over Ben Smith's ability to make it in the top grade, but 1 game against the Cowboys changed all that.

Who's to say Kris Inu won't play 10 games this year and score 5 tries in each of them.

On Brad Tighe he is a player who I've been impressed with what I've seen of him and wouldn't be upset at all if he ends up in a Parra jersey come 2007 but I'll worry about that when I read the headline "Brad Tighe signs with Parramatta" sometime around June 5th 2006

parralight

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
As Eela said (at least I think it was him) this won't be happening for another 12 mths, regardless of what Ben Smith or Dean Widders do in 2007 they will be Parramatta players in 2006

People are worrying about 2007 before 2006 has even started, just because Brian Smith is going to Newcastle doesn't mean every single off contract Parra player will follow him likewise Knights players to Parra or Raiders players to Penrith or Penrith players to wherever Johnny Lang ends up which could ironically be Canberra.

Certain players & coaches/officials have the "special connection" Gould/Fittler C.Anderson/Kimmorley, Cleal/Lyon. But that doesn't mwan every player does.

Even as recently as round 8 2005 there were doubts over Ben Smith's ability to make it in the top grade, but 1 game against the Cowboys changed all that.

Who's to say Kris Inu won't play 10 games this year and score 5 tries in each of them.

On Brad Tighe he is a player who I've been impressed with what I've seen of him and wouldn't be upset at all if he ends up in a Parra jersey come 2007 but I'll worry about that when I read the headline "Brad Tighe signs with Parramatta" sometime around June 5th 2006

Thats exactly what I said .. perhaps not as eloquently ;-)

bartman

Immortal
People are getting fooled by the "swap hype" and getting carried away. Even if it was someone other than Hagan coming, or if Smithy had taken say the Penrith job, then rumours of which players might go where would still be everywhere.

It's par for the course whenever a coach is going to leave to go elsewhere, it's just we've forgotten it because we hadn't been in the market for a new caich for the past 9-10 years. Players will go, but after having virtually no turnover for this year, that was always going to happen.

We will all deal. The Eels will deal. Everyone that wears the jersey at the time is a proud Eel, whether they're heading somewhere later on or not. It's unrealistic to expect loyalty beyond a current contract anymore in a sport which become a full-time money thing. Those days are gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle and Smithy will be very cashed up for 2007 because I reckon Joey's going to give it away... which means lots of spare cash to spend. What goes around comes around, we were cashed up back when Pay, Dymock, Smith and McCracken came our way. It's life Jim.

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
People are getting fooled by the "swap hype" and getting carried away. Even if it was someone other than Hagan coming, or if Smithy had taken say the Penrith job, then rumours of which players might go where would still be everywhere.

It's par for the course whenever a coach is going to leave to go elsewhere, it's just we've forgotten it because we hadn't been in the market for a new caich for the past 9-10 years. Players will go, but after having virtually no turnover for this year, that was always going to happen.

We will all deal. The Eels will deal. Everyone that wears the jersey at the time is a proud Eel, whether they're heading somewhere later on or not. It's unrealistic to expect loyalty beyond a current contract anymore in a sport which become a full-time money thing. Those days are gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle and Smithy will be very cashed up for 2007 because I reckon Joey's going to give it away... which means lots of spare cash to spend. What goes around comes around, we were cashed up back when Pay, Dymock, Smith and McCracken came our way. It's life Jim.

exactly, and as a Libran who tends to balance things up in every discussion if we lose a bucket load of players to rival clubs wouldn't we in turn have a bucket load of money to spend up???

bartman

Immortal
And that bucket load that can also help keep the talented juniors, if a few seniors do jumping ship.

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
And that bucket load that can also help keep the talented juniors, if a few seniors do jumping ship.

as well as sign a few few seniors from other clubs ;-)

Hellsy

Immortal
strider said:
yeah - and my point being that has about as much cred as a danny weilder imagined story

hey - matt kings brother once played for parra - I think matt might surely come play for parra

:D :D :D :D :D

I luv Matty King.........

Hellsy

Immortal
Eelementary said:
Basically Hellsy, he expressed his bitter disappointment with the way Dennis has handled his affairs. He mentioned the words 'unprofessional' and 'silly', because it will cause way too many distractions in 2006 for the Eels - which for now, is Brian's sole responsibility and focus.

Ah coolsies... thanks for that :lol: :lol:

Latest posts