What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Sorry, keep getting posts deleted for falling outside of guidelines. Not posting any more info. Feel free to PM me if you are so concerned about the girl.

If you can't say , you should also stick away from statements like ,

the truth will come out and even the slower ones will understand the ramifications of what has happened. .

Its not much better than the people judging the girl.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Why do you take those forum members to task for prejudging the aggrieved party, but don't take the journalists to task for prejudging the players?

Big Sam, if you knew my opinion of journalists (especially News Ltd) you would know that is not the case.

That said it is still doesn't justify some of the gutter comments about this young lady.

The "women in league" ethos has a long way to go (especially for some of the supporters/posters)

BDR

First Grade
Spoken like someone who hasn't had a minutes experience with our legal system :lol:

Want to point out the legislation or case law? In fact, publicising unrelated prior or concurrent offences while a case is sub judice is punishable under contempt of court charges.

I did 2 years of a law degree, what's your experience?

Amadaca

Juniors
Want to point out the legislation or case law? In fact, publicising unrelated prior or concurrent offences while a case is sub judice is punishable under contempt of court charges.

I did 2 years of a law degree, what's your experience?

In other words, they told you in class justice is blind & you believed them. I've been involved in four cases in my life (no, I was never the accused), including one in which I served on a jury, & two of my close friends are lawyers (in my defence, I knew them before they were lawyers). You would be laughed out of the room by all three of us if you claimed character isn't a factor in court.

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
In other words, they told you in class justice is blind & you believed them. I've been involved in four cases in my life (no, I was never the accused), including one in which I served on a jury, & two of my close friends are lawyers (in my defence, I knew them before they were lawyers). You would be laughed out of the room by all three of us if you claimdd character isn't a factor in court.

You have friends that are lawyers.....that'll do me.
Burn him at the stake I say !!

I used to watch LA Law :sarcasm:

BDR

First Grade
In other words, they told you in class justice is blind & you believed them. I've been involved in four cases in my life (no, I was never the accused), including one in which I served on a jury, & two of my close friends are lawyers (in my defence, I knew them before they were lawyers). You would be laughed out of the room by all three of us if you claimed character isn't a factor in court.

Are you a moron? I literally know dozens of lawyers, including a few who are still close friends. I am also certain you just made that part up about your lawyer friends to appear impressive. Who do they work for?

The character of either party is not brought into the court room. If Te'o or his lawyers brought up the DUI charges against this woman they would be in contempt. This is cold fact.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Are you a moron? I literally know dozens of lawyers, including a few who are still close friends. I am also certain you just made that part up about your lawyer friends to appear impressive. Who do they work for?

The character of either party is not brought into the court room. If Te'o or his lawyers brought up the DUI charges against this woman they would be in contempt. This is cold fact.

The lawyers might not be able to bring it up but does that mean that that can't ask if she had ever been in trouble with the Police.
Also would the judge not have any info on him as to any priors on her or would it be only the accused that he would have a file on.
I'm only asking these questions as I attended court for a shoplifter I caught recently and the judge had 17 pages on the dude. Maybe this was only because he was the accused whereas the young lady in question is not?

themacemaceman

Juniors
Big Sam, if you knew my opinion of journalists (especially News Ltd) you would know that is not the case.

That said it is still doesn't justify some of the gutter comments about this young lady.

The "women in league" ethos has a long way to go (especially for some of the supporters/posters)

Why do people keep bringing up the women in league round. I though that was to celebrate the contribution of women in league. It's not called" anti violence against woman round". ?

Perth Red

Post Whore

In the Stewart case didn't the accuseds character and her fathers get brought up by the defence as a question of credibility?

Character can not be brought in unless the defence brings it in, then anything goes.

If the defence doesn't state that their client is of good character then the prosecution can not make claims regarding their character.

I just learnt this a month or 2 ago when learning about evidence at the police academy

The lawyers might not be able to bring it up but does that mean that that can't ask if she had ever been in trouble with the Police.
Also would the judge not have any info on him as to any priors on her or would it be only the accused that he would have a file on.
I'm only asking these questions as I attended court for a shoplifter I caught recently and the judge had 17 pages on the dude. Maybe this was only because he was the accused whereas the young lady in question is not?

Prosecution can not reference previous offences, unless it is relevant to the charge. Drink driving is not relevant to bring up in an assault charge.

Yes the judge is given a list of priors with the brief of evidence. But as I said above, it can't be used as evidence.