What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Character can not be brought in unless the defence brings it in, then anything goes.

If the defence doesn't state that their client is of good character then the prosecution can not make claims regarding their character.

I just learnt this a month or 2 ago when learning about evidence at the police academy

It would be the opposite here though.

If this goes to trial the woman isn't being prosecuted. T'eo would be.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Prosecution can not reference previous offences, unless it is relevant to the charge. Drink driving is not relevant to bring up in an assault charge.

Yes the judge is given a list of priors with the brief of evidence. But as I said above, it can't be used as evidence.

But surely that must diminish her character and reputation in the eyes of the judge who after all is making a decision on which one of the two is telling the truth?

BDR

First Grade
The lawyers might not be able to bring it up but does that mean that that can't ask if she had ever been in trouble with the Police.
Also would the judge not have any info on him as to any priors on her or would it be only the accused that he would have a file on.
I'm only asking these questions as I attended court for a shoplifter I caught recently and the judge had 17 pages on the dude. Maybe this was only because he was the accused whereas the young lady in question is not?

In this case the woman would be the complainant, if she is talking to the police she would make a complaint, then the police would investigate and decide whether or not to lay charges. She might be a witness but if charges are laid the case will be against the state, not the woman.

Prior offences would only be in the hands of a judge for purposes of sentencing, and in this case she's not the defendant. Her DUI has literally nothing to do with it in the court room. End of.

Last edited:

Didgi

In other words, they told you in class justice is blind & you believed them. I've been involved in four cases in my life (no, I was never the accused), including one in which I served on a jury, & two of my close friends are lawyers (in my defence, I knew them before they were lawyers). You would be laughed out of the room by all three of us if you claimed character isn't a factor in court.

Have a look at the Evidence Acts of the various states. They're laced with conditions under which the credibility or character of both the accused and any witnesses can be questioned. It's not as easy as your lawyer buddies make out. Derp.

The lawyers might not be able to bring it up but does that mean that that can't ask if she had ever been in trouble with the Police.
Also would the judge not have any info on him as to any priors on her or would it be only the accused that he would have a file on.
I'm only asking these questions as I attended court for a shoplifter I caught recently and the judge had 17 pages on the dude. Maybe this was only because he was the accused whereas the young lady in question is not?

Obviously if you're accused and you have an extensive criminal history then that comes into play in all sorts of things, though generally more leaning towards sentencing.

Didgi

But surely that must diminish her character and reputation in the eyes of the judge who after all is making a decision on which one of the two is telling the truth?

Judge hands down the sentence... it's the Jury that decides guilt in criminal matters.

First Grade

Your "friends" are "lawyers" and you are a checkout operator at Woolies catching shoplifters, do you ever feel like an underachiever?

kmav23

Juniors
Exactly as I thought. Ive sat in on a few cases lately at the local court and theres no jury. Just a judge. It ain't a murder trial.

i served on a jury last year in district court for a man on assault charges.

the accused just closed the garage door under instructions from his boss who assaulted a fellow employee.

he was still charged and we found him guilty. even thou he did not assault anyone.

there was reasonable assumption and evidence he knew an assault was about to occur. and closing the garage door assisted in the assault.

First Grade
i served on a jury last year in district court for a man on assault charges.

the accused just closed the garage door under instructions from his boss who assaulted a fellow employee.

he was still charged and we found him guilty. even thou he did not assault anyone.

there was reasonable assumption and evidence he knew an assault was about to occur. and closing the garage door assisted in the assault.

Isn't the idea of being a juror that you don't discuss cases? Ban this merkin he broke the law :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Amadaca

Juniors
Since I can't get a f**king word out without it being deleted, I'll let this young, "lady," do the talking for my POV over the next few weeks.

Latest posts