What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Barba

bluefox1968

Juniors
I'm thinking Nu Brown on the bench until we win a few (i.e. Round 3), with Robbo at 7, then swap them around.
Robbo drops back to the bench, where he fills in at hooker or 'lock' to give someone a rest for 15-20...

Jono Russell

Bench
Robson will never be a star and he does a lot wrong but he also does bring a level head and knows how to find a repeat set. I believe he is needed atleast until Barba finds his feet.

Windy70

Juniors
this is not a lie .

Last night I got into bed after bogan hunters uncut in the loungeroom( she won't let me watch that in bed) .
I lent over gave her a kiss and said "goodnight barb" ...she said what did you call me?
..."babe!... I said babe!" .

Lucky it wasn't Thursday night.

Just made my day then Carch.

Overall, we are looking at a fairly good year or 2. the players obviously aren't swaying into the dagger holders in the media and the nrl mer.. guys. After all the crap we have been dragged through, players like Ennis and Barb still want in and Bakuya wants his bed back. It is a good sign from a players level that the Sharks are even considered.

I'm loving it. Decent year in 2015. Look forward to it.

Windy70

Juniors
PS. This young Murphy. We only signed him for a year, is that standard? Or does it mean he is going to get a shot and there fore we will get an evaluation on him fast?

Might be standard procedure, I don't know. Seems a weird approach to a young up and comer unless the plan was to throw him in for a few cracks.

island pro

Juniors
PS. This young Murphy. We only signed him for a year, is that standard? Or does it mean he is going to get a shot and there fore we will get an evaluation on him fast?

Might be standard procedure, I don't know. Seems a weird approach to a young up and comer unless the plan was to throw him in for a few cracks.

If he was only ever signed as a back-up, then a year makes sense. The club will know more about Nu and that young half (Tracey?) in a years time and can make decisions from there.

southland

Juniors
New Cronulla recruit Ben Barba offered some insight into his reasons for joining the Sharks, saying their stars up front were a major attraction.

Barba will train with the team for the first time on Thursday but dropped in on Sharks headquarters after arriving in Sydney late Wednesday.

According to the club's website, he "checked out his new surroundings, had a brief chat to coach Shane Flanagan and met Sharks training and admin staff" during his "unplanned visit".

In his first interview since being released by the Brisbane Broncos and signing a three-year deal with Cronulla, Barba said he is eager to play behind a Sharks pack containing plenty of representative experience.

"One of the main reasons I came here was the forward pack and the blokes they have starting and on the bench," the 25-year-old told Sharks TV.

The forward pack boasts 64 Kangaroos caps and 46 State of Origin games courtesy of Barba's former Bulldogs team-mate Michael Ennis, Blues skipper Paul Gallen, Luke Lewis, Andrew Fifita and Andrew Tupou.

"It's something that really attracted me to this club and I'm looking forward to running off the guys - Fifita, Gallen and the like," he added.

One of the main reasons I came here was the forward pack ... and I'm looking forward to running off the guys - Fifita, Gallen and the like.
Ben Barba
The recently jettisoned Bronco will be in a great position to take full advantage of the go-forward provided by the experienced bunch as recently reinstated coach Shane Flanagan is expected to use Barba at five-eighth.

Barba won the Dally M Medal as Canterbury full-back in 2012, but was less than impressive in the position with the Broncos this year.

He started 2014 at full-back before switching places with Josh Hoffman and finishing the season in decent fashion as Brisbane's pivot.

"It's a position I think I really got used to at the back end of this year and I'm happy that (Flanagan) wants me to play there," Barba said.

"There was probably no need for me to come here and play full-back with Mick Gordon there. He's such a great player and a player I didn't mind watching or playing against."

After being released by the Broncos, Barba is going from one of the most prestigious and cashed-up clubs in the NRL to one of the league's strugglers, both in financial terms and on the ladder.

Even so, he has no problems trading the bright lights of Brisbane's Lang Park for the 22,000-seat Shark Park.

"It's pretty exciting. As a (kid) you dream to run out on NRL grounds and football stadiums ... so this will be just like running out on any other stadium," he said.

"I'm glad to call it my home now."

carcharias

Immortal
Can bag Flano all you want
However
He has been back what... 2 weeks?.... and we now have
Bakuya and barba in the team.

Couple of others in the works

A month ago we were looking at back to back spoons
Now
Yeah baby
12th!

coolumsharkie

Referee
After being released by the Broncos, Barba is going from one of the most prestigious and cashed-up clubs in the NRL to one of the league's strugglers, both in financial terms and on the ladder.

Sigh.

If we had our full squad on deck last year we would have smashed the Donkeys. Can't wait to play them this year.

chewsta

First Grade
why do the media always say we are cash strapped? I thought we were looking good again, financially?
You can guarantee, every article written about the Sharks has atleast one sentence referring to us being broke. are we broke? or is it because they cant throw the ASADA crap at us anymore?

RUBIKS

Juniors
The Leader said:
Barba gets a taste of swimming with the Sharks

Ben Barba had his first training session with Cronulla Sharks at Remondis Stadium, Woolooware.

The former Bulldogs and Brisbane Broncos star has signed a three-year contract with the Sharks.

Barba, 25, was greeted by a media throng on the training field next to the stadium.

His squad training included fitness, sprint and skills drills.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told Barba two weeks ago that he did not fit into his plans even though he was contracted for two more years.

Barba’s life was sent into a spin and he had to move fast to continue his NRL career.

It’s been a hectic time over the past week with the Sharks hearing Barba was on the open market, negotiating with the talented player’s management and securing his services.

Barba said he was happy to be at his new club.

His family is still in Brisbane and will join him soon.

‘‘I am happy to be at the Sharks,’’ Barba said.

‘‘I think I will be playing at five-eighth in N0. 6.’’

Barba said he was ‘‘personally stronger mentally’’ after his fall from grace in recent times when several off-field problems affected his form and life.

It was revealed at that time that Barba had sought professional help for mental health problems.

He said Sharks captain Paul Gallen, who made his mental health battles public, would be a positive influence on him and his footy.

The Sharks, hunting for more backline talent in 2015, threw a lifeline to Barba.

Barba’s onetime Bulldogs teammate Michael Ennis will be at the Sharks next year.

Ennis, who starts training on November 24, has signed a three-year contract.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said he was thrilled to have Barba playing.

‘‘I'm sure Sharks fans will be really excited about watching Benny play,’’ Flanagan said.

‘‘He has flair, x-factor and try scoring ability but it's not just about the tries he scores, it's the tries he creates and the opportunities he provides for others.

‘‘Our attack is an area we need to improve. I've focused a lot of my recruitment around that and Benny fits perfectly into the team I'm trying to build.’’

Flanagan said Barba scored 15 tries for the Broncos in the 2014 season and that his form was better than given credit for.

‘‘We bought Ben to play No. 6. He will make a good combination with halfback Jeff Robson,’’ Flanagan said.

Flanagan said media reports that Barba would not be living in Sutherland Shire were wrong.

‘‘Ben and his family can live where they want, there are no restrictions on Ben,’’ he said.

Can Ben Barba spark the Sharks in 2015?

Update: Sharks prop Bryce Gibbs has announced his retirement. Gibbs played 12 years in the NRL with two clubs, Wests Tigers and the Sharks and 197 games.

Source

Pics are in the article.

Latest posts