What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Shorty

Staff member
I've been called a "white c..." "Aussie c..." "skippy c..." by the middle eastern young men that plague our city. It's a regular event.
But as soon as someone is called a black c... We get touchy feely.
Oh well perhaps you should seek counseling from such traumatizing events.
LOL Skippy and Aussie....I can't imagine the pain you have gone through, and the sad thing is I don't think you're taking the p*ss.

Benji should have walked away, yes, I think that's pretty obvious....but who's going to do something like that, especially when it's something as personal as race.
Unfortunately, you don't get yourself in that situation or you surround yourself with someone solid in your entourage that will make sure you don't get into that sort of trouble.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/benji-marshall.-hero.-gentleman.-good-guy/

Benji Marshall. Hero. Gentleman. Good guy
Anthony Sharwood

07 Mar 01:30pm

On school visits, Benji Marshall has a fun and disarming way of introducing himself. He says “my name is Benjamin Quentin Marshall” as the kids look on with bemusement. Marshall will no doubt introduce himself with similar formality, minus the cheeky grin, when he fronts court on assault charges on April 20. But regardless of what happens that day, I’d still invite him to my kids’ school.

Marshall, who launched the 2011 NRL season last week, was allegedly racially taunted in the most vulgar possible way on Saturday night. This, after he’d MC’d a charity function for the Children’s Cancer Institute which raised $244,000, then stayed out in town for a few drinks, and a fateful 3am burger, which all made sense as he had a room booked in town.

Obviously, The Punch wasn’t there. But let me say this: in five years at Australia’s biggest sporting magazine Alpha, I met numerous topline footballers in all codes. And Benji Marshall was right at the top of the list of the players who struck me as intelligent, wholesome, and thoroughly unlikely to turn feral without the severest provocation.

A disclosure: I am a fan of Marshall’s NRL club, the Wests Tigers. But it wouldn’t matter if I hated the Tigers as much as I hate cowards who taunt people with racial epithets. Because in my opinion, Marshall is not just officially the world’s best rugby league player, he’s the game’s best bloke too.

Rugby league, plagued as it is by serial idiots, needs figures like Benji. His life story is the classic rise from Struggletown to fame which rugby league prides itself on. That, as much as his success, is why the NRL picked him for the season launch.

Brought up by his mother Lydia, who was 15 when she had Benji, the young kid would play football in Whakatane, NZ, with a large group of uncles and cousins who served jointly as father figures but showed him absolutely no mercy whatsoever on the football field. In this tough school, he learned toughness and resolve. He also learned to dance around big dudes with the trademark snappy footwork that would go on to revolutionise the NRL.

If you’re an AFL follower who’s never watched league, or entertained the thought it might be entertaining, click this link from 2005. Or this supremely famous and decisive moment from the 2005 Grand final. Now try this cracker from 2009. Or this, to the Penbo/Ant corner of Leichhardt. Yes, even the editor-in-chief of this website David Penberthy, an avowed Adelaide Crows fan, has travelled to worship at the altar of Benji.

None of which, I say again, is to prejudge Marshall for what happened on Saturday night. But it’s to paint a picture of man who plays the game of football as cleanly and exuberantly as I believe he plays the game of life. A man whom I believe would only lash out under extreme circumstances.

Twice before, in 2006 and then in 2008, Marshall was involved in incidents in Sydney nightclubs. Both times, the strong suggestion is that he was “baited”. Again, details are lacking from the nights in question, but in general, the formula can be simple enough.

Deliberately spill a footy player’s drink, or spill your own and accuse the player of having done it, shove a little, push a little, and see what happens. Who knows? The player may bite, and whammo! You’ve got incriminating camera phone footage you can sell.

On those occasions, Marshall did his best to get out of harm’s way. But whatever happened on Saturday night seemingly pushed him to do the opposite

Like all people, Marshall has a breaking point. Funnily enough, I saw it early last year at the media conference when he announced his long term deal to stay with the Tigers until 2015.

A young female reporter asked Benji if he thought he a five year deal was a risk for the club given his recurring injury problems. Marshall had indeed had numerous shoulder operations back in 2006 and ’07. But he’d been on the paddock for almost the entirety of the previous two seasons (and would go on to play every match in 2010), and the question visibly angered him. He didn’t lash out verbally, but clearly, he’d reached the end of his patience.

People who live almost their entire lives in the spotlight have a right to reach the point where they switch off the charm. Whether they have the right to start swinging is, as mentioned several times, a matter for the judicial system.

As this story goes to print, the Tigers are submitting a report to the NRL on this weekend’s incident. At the very least, you’d hope the game’s ruling body clears him to play his club’s first game this Monday night. After all, the bloke who’s just recorded his 3rd DUI has got the green light.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
lol at the middle class caucasian males in this thread feeling they have no rights. Classic

You can't have it both ways.

Either it is ok to job somebody who racially abuses you or it isn't.

To me this opinion peice reads that it is heroic to punch on when racially abused

grouch

First Grade
Please. To use a bad pun, it's not that black and white. When white people boast about not being offended by apparently 'similar' kinds of taunts it's usually purely to diminish or dismiss valid claims of racial vilification/offence made by others. The taunts are not similar at all

grouch

First Grade
ps I should note that I don't believe Benji's reaction was justified (if he was indeed racially abused). He is justified in being offended by racism, is all I'm saying. Throwing punches is not the answer

Eels Dude

Coach
Oh well perhaps you should seek counseling from such traumatizing events.
LOL Skippy and Aussie....I can't imagine the pain you have gone through, and the sad thing is I don't think you're taking the p*ss.

I don't think that was his point. Moreso just saying that white people can be offended by racist remarks too. A causcasian person has every right to be offended by a racist mark just like someone from an ethnic background has the right to take offence to one.

Please. To use a bad pun, it's not that black and white. When white people boast about not being offended by apparently 'similar' kinds of taunts it's usually purely to diminish or dismiss valid claims of racial vilification/offence made by others. The taunts are not similar at all

Hmmm very narrow minded point of view in my opinion. That's just making an extremely broad assumption. If you're against racism you should be aware of the fact that ANYONE can be offended my racist remarks. We live in a multicultural country, a lot of suburbs in Sydney the Asians, Indians, Middle Eastern etc easily outweigh the caucasian population in the area. So in some suburbs caucasian can be a minority group.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
NRL has just made a statement. No evidence of any other misconduct by Marshall. Both the club & NRL not in a position to take action until court makes a determination. No sanctions.

If assault is proven the club will be expected to take strong action, if not the NRL will step in.

Also no suggestion of alcohol abuse.

El Diablo

Post Whore
doesn't look like the NRL will be punishing him unless he is found guilty when he goes to court

according to their investigations there were no other allegations of wrongdoing apart from the alleged assault which is in dispute

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Im going to have a cry next time someone calls me an Aussie.
In the UK, 'Paki' is considered derogatory. At least it was when I was watching cricket there about 20 years ago. I made mention of the Pakis. Someone let me know it was somewhat offensive, which I was grateful for because I had no idea at the time. I explained that in Australia it was the same as Pommies, Aussies or Windies in cricket. It was all cool but it shows how misunderstandings can come about.

mave

Coach
doesn't look like the NRL will be punishing him unless he is found guilty when he goes to court

according to their investigations there were no other allegations of wrongdoing apart from the alleged assault which is in dispute

So the NRL is displaying it's usual consistency then.

age.s

First Grade
What's the difference?

The difference is that one ethnic group is a majority, while the other is a minority. While it's still sh*t behaviour to be calling someone a skippy merkin, it's worse when used against a member of a minority.

It's basically because, being part of the majority ethnic group, the chances of any ACTUAL discrimination happening is next to zero.

I say this as someone of anglo heritage ftr.

El Diablo

Post Whore
So becuase Stewart was alledgedly drunk, this is the justification for the ban?

you don't understand what has already been explained 1,000 times?

and why does it always come back to Stewart :?

remind me what punishment the NRL gave Watmong for beiing 55kmh over the speed limit and losing his license