What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall

Matchball

Bench
I wish Mayer was a vindictive leader at times.
I would support a decision to bypass the compensation and let him sit out his anti compete clause.

One can dream.

to_ddeath

Coach
Saints fans bagged Benji mercilessly when he was at his peak. Now that he is a chance of signing with them, as a slower, older and less dynamic player they are having a massive Roy Bull over his prospective signature. The same happened with Moltz when he was going there.

I've never wanted him here & still don't even if this does come to fruition. We need forwards & a new coach and CEO, this is just a parade & frankly I'm over it.
Would prefer to be in your shoes right now, with Brooks developing into a star & Moses knocking on the door as well....consider yourselves lucky.

T.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish Mayer was a vindictive leader at times.
I would support a decision to bypass the compensation and let him sit out his anti compete clause.

One can dream.

Is it possible that the compo coin could be used to top up tedesco's contract?

innsaneink

Referee
Play hardball. Give them Marshall with no compo but force them to also take Moltzen as well.
I+like+your+thinking+_78bef5defec77feccb074bf48aa5cdc2.jpg

goodplayer

Juniors
NZ view: Blues must cut their losses with Benji Marshall in what is a failed cross-code experiment

486776-dd565d0a-ba06-11e3-8a33-c23c348170ff.jpg
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - MARCH 29: Ben Smith of the Highlanders congratulates Benji Marshall of the Blues following the round seven Super Rugby match between the Blues and the Highlanders at Eden Park on March 29, 2014 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images) Source: Hannah Peters / Getty Images

THE Blues must cut their losses with Benji Marshall if they have any desire to reaffirm a growing bid for the Super Rugby semi-finals.

That?s the feeling coming out of New Zealand this week after the former NRL star endured his worst outing in the 15-man game in an atrocious 15-minute cameo at fullback on Saturday night.
Coming onto the field with the Blues in a comfortable position, Marshall missed a golden opportunity to play in the absence of any real pressure and build some confidence with ball-in-hand.
?The Blues might as well cut their losses on the Benji Marshall experiment before his alleged rugby union education causes a calamity that derails their growing Super 15 title bid,? the New Zealand Herald?s Chris Rattue wrote.
?This so-called drip feed education of Marshall is not how cross-code transitions are normally done. The deep end is the smart end. The Blues are conducting a charade, covering their tracks. The turnstiles aren?t exactly going mad with Marshall mania.
?In his league prime, Marshall was a wildly creative risk taker who was an absolute joy to watch. As his long-time coach Tim Sheens reckoned, he was a better runner - rubber-man style - than playmaker. And this was all a long time ago.
?Marshall?s cross-field style had already gone out of fashion in league and is cringe-inducing in union. His physical courage in coming back from shoulder injury disasters is a memory. Any money was crazy money for Benji. He was awful in a half-hour stint at fullback against the Highlanders on Saturday night. The Blues don?t need the distraction. Did someone, yes it was Marshall himself, really mention the All Blacks??

auckland blues going great in super15 rugby now . fighting hard for top 6 now ;-)

Realistically he was rubbish for the WT for the majority of the past two seasons,changing codes wasn't going to magically return him to the player he once was,anyone who believed otherwise was either clueless or naive.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
In my eyes he is just a marketing tool. Brings bums on seats so whoever buys him is investing in that.

I don't always agree with you Matchball, BUT in this ^^^^^ regard I am with you 100%
TBH I hope he rips it up (except against WT's) as at his best he is great to watch & good for the game, sadly we haven't seen that Benji for many years now, apart from the Saints game at the end of last season & he played in the centres

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Is his wife a good cook ?? Much of his troubles are due to him stacking on the kegs imo. Wouldn't surprise me if he spent more time rumbling through fridges in the last few seasons than on the training field

Call me an asshole......but I hope he comes back an plays exactly as shit as he did his last two seasons with us and during his aborted rugger career. Cant wait to see passes flying into the third row, kicks out on the full, the running around in circles, balls hitting support runners in the head or the ground. f**k him. Seriously got no love for the bitch.

Cant see this being anything other than an embarrassing disaster.

tmfsd

Juniors
Call me an asshole......but I hope he comes back an plays exactly as shit as he did his last two seasons with us and during his aborted rugger career. Cant wait to see passes flying into the third row, kicks out on the full, the running around in circles, balls hitting support runners in the head or the ground. f**k him. Seriously got no love for the bitch.

Well I guess u better call me an arsehole 2! Because I am thinking along the same lines. Mainly just so I can say 'I told you so' to so many people.

Interesting point, what if he comes back and actually started playing decent footy and carving up? (Highly unlikely) but wouldn't WT players and fans feel aggrieved? I mean they might be wondering why the f**k he played so sh1thouse for those last 2 seasons

FootynRacing

Juniors

Same !!!

goodplayer

Juniors
why was benji playing like that in the last 2 years for wests tigers ?

was he told by sheenes ?

was it the game plan . or benjis own plan ?

he had free rein razzle dazzle ?

or to much pressure on him to deliver the goods now , not plan , over doing it , wrong times

who pushed him and wests tigers apart ?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lost the passion

No

No. Game plan never changed, as we never had one

Yes

Yes

Benji

Matchball

Bench
What's funny is now he is setting deadlines to the dragons to offer him something in writing by today.
The guy thinks he is the messiah second coming or something.

gregstar

Referee
Thanks a lot snatch-rags!

We dodge the loltzen bullet, & you hit us with the bunji grenade.

Well played.