What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Perth Tiger

Bench
Don't mind that compromise, although make it 3 months as the Union clubs would want 3 months minimum.

Who cares what union wants. The NRL needs to think what is in the best interest of the NRL and RL in general and having our playings playing another sport, increasing their product is not in RL's best interests

gallagher

Juniors
Once again, irrelivant. Still frequent enough, isn't it?

If we're keeping our best players happy, why is Benji being mentioned??

Seriously, he'd only be happy if he rose beyond our game. The chance of him being injured with his history is great, and if Gallop had no stance and he DID get injured, the Tigers fans would whine to the NRL about letting him go over.

Why would they blame the NRL if an injury happened? They'd go straight to the club, not the NRL. AS far as being a helth risk goes, its the club's call.
It just Gallop trying to explain actions.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Who cares what union wants. The NRL needs to think what is in the best interest of the NRL and RL in general and having our playings playing another sport, increasing their product is not in RL's best interests

:clap: exactly

although i still think a major reason is to prevent the cap being rorted.

benji should say that bus drivers are allowed to drive other vehicles when they'r enot working....

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I don't have a problem with Benji or other players gong for an off-season stint, so long as the NRL holds the cards to the deal and players are allowed to go under strict conditions, for e.g. - they must make themselvees available for the Tri Nations or international tours after the NRL season, they must go for no longer than 12 weeks and/or must be back in Australia for the NRL team's first trial game.

However the initial approval must lie with the NRL club. It all comes down to what is negotiated between the player and the club and the NRL should keep out of that process.

The NRL cannot administer as a whole because it risks of being accused of discrimination when some players will be allowed to go, and others not allowed to go. Each case must be negotiated between the player and the club. Once agreement is reached then the NRL decide to approve or not.

Last edited:

Parra Glory

Juniors
I think if all players are allowed an overseas stint in the off season, I think we can take a leaf from crickets book and allow a 2 month window(IPL for them) under the conditions that these players return to have 5-6 weeks of preseason with their NRL club. Win-Win situation IMO allowing player their true earning potential whilst avoiding them being lost to the game for good over being under payed.

Would you be happy though if Benji got injured in that 5-6 week period and consequently couldnt play in the tigers regular season? All because he was playing with a different club whilst having a contract with the tigers. He takes up a huge chunk in your salary cap, not to mention he is very injury prone.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Bet you they cry more if he leaves the NRL as a result of Gallop being silly. I am not saying all for nothing. I am actually more for the unlimited 1st/2nd/3rd party deals. That is one way where the top players can top up their salaries and possibly keep them in the game. If this is not practical then we have to look at other options and Japanese Union is just one of these "other options"

1st/2nd/3rd party deals are restricted for one very good reason: To stop clubs from "out sourcing" player payments to their major sponsors and rorting the cap.

eg: Brisbane paying K Hunt $100K officially on the books and $900K through one of their major sponsors Nike effectivly only counting $100k of a million dollar contract towards their salary cap.

Pretty simple concept

Perth Tiger

Bench
Can someone clarify something about the 3rd party payments. I understand the restriction based on club sponsors but say I own a company and have no affiliation with any clubs or the NRL but I want to use an NRL player in an advertisement and am prepared to pay big for it. Does this come under the cap as well?

Would you be happy though if Benji got injured in that 5-6 week period and consequently couldnt play in the tigers regular season? All because he was playing with a different club whilst having a contract with the tigers. He takes up a huge chunk in your salary cap, not to mention he is very injury prone.

Benji is off contract, the deal I believe is for him to sign in Japan, then sign with the Tigers at the end of their season (still in the NRL pre-season). If he gets injured long term over there, I hope Longmuir and the rest of our coaching staff tell him to bugger off.

Raider_69

Post Whore
And if in the last game of RU season, he does his knee and has to miss the entire NRL season, will he compensate the tigers for his salary, loss in revenue through gate takings, merchandise sales etc because he cant play and they lose more games?

I dont think so
He's contracted to the tigers, he should be doing all he can to ensure his fit and healthy to fulfill his contractual obligation to them

gallagher

Juniors
And if in the last game of RU season, he does his knee and has to miss the entire NRL season, will he compensate the tigers for his salary, loss in revenue through gate takings, merchandise sales etc because he cant play and they lose more games?

I dont think so
He's contracted to the tigers, he should be doing all he can to ensure his fit and healthy to fulfill his contractual obligation to them

But thats the tigers call, not the NRL's. If the club is willing to risk it then that should be it.

I dont think so

He's off contract at the end of this season.

Gus22

Juniors

I dont think so

No he's not. His contract at Wests expires after his last game in 2009. He then signs with a Japby side for 1 season (ie - 12 games) as a free agent. Once that contract expires he is a free agen again & able to sign with anyone he likes.

thug jimmy

Juniors
If someone was 24, or as he is now, 23, and doesn't understand what a countract is, or doesn't understand why you can't get everything your own way, he needs help urgently.

Why is it that it's the Kiwis and Polynesians who can't nut this out? I hear Peter Costello wants to spend 6 months as a Labor minister - can understand why Turnbull is against it.

Selfish twat. Would have looked a complete twat if Pat Richards didn't back up your stupid pass on 05 anyway.
you really have no clue. what do 'Polynesians' have to do with the nrl's inability to be reasonable?

the guy's contract expires at the end of this season. so he does understand the meaning of a contract - he will play this season out with the tigers. it just means he wont renew it at the end of the year and will sign a new contract elsewhere.

you call him 'selfish' then refer to a try in the grand final he set up with by passing the ball. try to call it luck. i dont understand what your trying to achieve?

at the end of the day, richards caught the AWESOME ball benji gave him and scored a try. the tigers then went on to win the grand final and benji was crowned the messiah.... what... jealous?

ozbash

Referee
shame some of you mugs cant remember the crisis meetings, the footy show special interviews and Gallop looking like a stunned mullet last year when Gaz, Gower, and co shot through.

The NRL are slowly but surely killing the game through stubborness.

You'd have thought they would have learnt something ..

gallagher

Juniors
The tigers should survey their fans to see if they are behind the move. If the fans are happy then Dave Gallop cant continue with the 'the fans wont be happy with the NRL if he gets injured' crap.
The fans wont be happy if he's lost all together Daaaaaave.

Nerds should not run rugby league.

Scottey

Juniors
I wonder if he takes this long to decide if he will have a shower, or if he might defect to the bath tub.

then let him sign with the Rah Rah's be done with him. It should be a one way ticket imo.

Agreed.

If he signs he can f**k off for good and the same should go for the others who went before him. I think it's a big "if" though. I get the feeling that our Benji is turning into a bit of a drama queen.

gregstar

Referee
i think he will go.

i think he'll do as spasnier did & go for the coin.

& what's the bet spaz is gonna return when he gets bored.