What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announcement today: quitting Knights

rainman44

Bench
What is this conspiracy with Mary. Did he tell the players to play terrible under Price? Did he make all Prices selections? WTF? I suppose he wanted to put Dugan at centre but did not tell Price in case the experiment went well and Price got the credit? As if Price would have made the switch anyway. He would have tried AuMau at centre before Duges.

Saints are playing good footy and it is no conicidence that it is because a. Price is gone and b. McGregory has come in and the players are responding better to his coaching methods. Saints have had 5 or so good weeks. Be happy don't go looking for negatives ffs.

If Bennett comes in it will be a bonus, if not Mary would be a good choice I would not be to upset. Not as much as when Saints announced the extension of Price. Now that was a black day in the Dragons history. Can't watch another Anzac day game again since. Hopefully Mary can bring another Saints great as his assistant next season in Trent Barrett. He is doing good things at the Panthers apparently.
It's not about a conspiracy it's about rookie coaches who players love bla bla bla in the middle of a honeymoon period, we need to see more as the next decision on who our coach is will be huge. Mary is going well but not well enough to get the job yet.

bottle

Coach
Lol, quoting a Tallis comment on Bennett to support an argument.
Tallis has no cred. He is still trying to get the egg off his face after dissuading the Cowboys to secure Bennett because he was 'too old'. Then he signed with us, nek minnit.
He's been death riding Bennett from the time he joined us. Last thing Tallis wants is Bennett here and us tasting more success.
If Tallis wants us to end up with Mary it's almost enough reason on it's own to send Mary packing.
You're riding Mary's wave hard Slippery. Are you a relative, or just a friend?
Let's hope you don't end up with as much egg on your face as Tallis has over Bennett.
Its sort of a magic pudding egg. Every morning when he gets up and looks in the mirror it's still there no matter how much he scrubs.

gregstar

Referee
You'll have to help me with 'Jowls'.

jowls macgregor.

even when he first played, he had to tape his cheeks to his neck so as to not trip over them. by the end of his career he used them to both smother tackle & also as a sail to catch the wind when running.

Saintsified

Bench
I can't believe some people, in particular Knights fans are complaining about the 1.5 mil NRL grant to Dragons and the Dragons play at Bennett. How much do they think it has/will cost to bail out Newcastle? I have a feeling Noyce was bitching and speculating about this a few months back in the tele, could be wrong.

These anti-Illawarra and anti-Mary conspiracy theories aren't helpful. It's by and large a media beat up - no doubt Dragons have had a tough year financially but we've got the brand and assets to recover. Mary has done a good job as coach since taking over from Price, and looks to have potential as a top grade coach, but Bennett is one of the greatest coaches ever. That twit of a board member should have shut his mouth shut (keep those comments for the boardroom) and let this coaching saga play out.

I have confidence that the club will do its due diligence before making Bennett an offer, and a coach like Bennett will have a positive influence on revenue.

Illawarra is like a room mate that doesn't pay his half of the rent...at some point it would piss you off.

harryzaco

Juniors
People are suggesting Mary should be the assistant coach under Bennett, but don't forget that during his tenure as AC under Price he was ineffective. I can't imagine it'll play out any different as he'll just follow Bennett's orders and be better utilised somewhere else.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am no relative or friend of Mary just hugely impressed with his work so far. And I am not the only one by far. But things can change in 8 weeks, lets wait and see. If Saints make the 8 it will be a huge effort.

Whichever way the Saints go will be good. Looks like a 2 horse race Bennett or Mary. The Sheens, Daley or Henry rumours have stopped.

getsmarty

Immortal
GAME ON: Paul McGregor, Wayne Bennett talk overshadows finals effort

By TIM BARROW

July 18, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

Paul McGregor watches over his players during a St George Illawarra Dragons NRL training session at WIN Stadium.

Predictably, the old fault line in St George Illawarra resurfaced this week.
From the moment Dragons board member Sean O'Connor stuck his neck out to support Paul McGregor, in preference to Wayne Bennett, as the club's NRL coach next year, the howls of disapproval came.
The tireless whingers emerged to declare Bennett is the only man for the job, as if his arrival will automatically trigger a return to the utopia of his first stint in charge.
What does it say of the Dragons culture that their supporters refuse to believe one of their own has what it takes to make them a premiership force?
Is this the extent of the Nathan Brown and Steve Price hangover?
Is there only one true messiah capable of returning them to the top of the NRL ladder?
Of course, those who back Bennett are conveniently forgetting the three-year premiership-or-bust agenda has had a significant impact on their fortunes ever since.
They wanted a trophy and they got one - and that's all that matters to them.
Those who yearn for 12 games a year at Kogarah were up in arms about the prospect of an Illawarra great in charge in the coaching box.
O'Connor went out of his way to announce his support of McGregor, an unusual step for a director, who'll usually leave it to chief executive Peter Doust to be the official club mouthpiece.
Bennett's credentials are unquestionable, but when he arrived in Wollongong in November 2008 - axing McGregor as a club trainer - it was at a time when the players needed someone to believe in after years of failure.
Without the likes of Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby and Young, the next generation are not motivated by the disappointment of 2005 and 2006.
Perhaps the heartbreak of being captain of a losing grand final team in 1999 drives McGregor to be the renowned perfectionist he is today.
With a decision expected in the coming days, all McGregor can do is focus on winning to keep St George Illawarra's NRL finals hopes alive.
- - - -
FROM Gorden Tallis to Willie Mason, the excuse for Darius Boyd's behaviour during the farcical Channel Seven interview after State of Origin was "he has been burned by the media before".
So if Darius doesn't want to talk, let's talk about Darius.
In January 2009, Boyd spoke openly to the Mercury about moving on from the Broncos and an incident in a Brisbane nightclub, from which assault allegations were dropped and he was fined.
Four months later, this columnist wrote another story based on comments from then Queensland premier Anna Bligh about acceptable community standards, relating to the incident and the state government transport arm's sponsorship of the Broncos.
The story questioned whether Boyd and the others involved should apologise to the woman concerned.
From this, it led to more than five years of carry-on and refusal to talk to the media, including the famous "42 seconds of gibber" interview, as the News Limited headline read.
At the time, Bennett emerged at WIN Stadium to discuss the situation, but at an offer to talk it over with Boyd, the veteran coach fired "he's not interested in your apology".
The response from this columnist to Bennett was: "I'm not here to apologise".
Boyd actually spoke - but only to his former Dragons teammate Wendell Sailor - on Sydney radio about the Brisbane non-interview earlier this month.
"I've had too many run-ins with bad stories. I'm one of the ones that doesn't like it and doesn't take the crap. I know it's part of the game [but] I don't like it and I've had enough of it," he said.
Boyd isn't the only player to have his actions called into question by public officials or the media and he's not the only one to be approached unannounced by a reporter.
Channel Seven's approach to Boyd no doubt stems from rights holder Nine's move to bar its rivals from post-game interviews in the sheds.
Whatever your stance on the role of media, watch Fox Sports News long enough and you'll see elite sportspeople being asked questions in car parks and in front of club headquarters on a range of issues.
Boyd may well privately be a nice bloke, but after five years his problem with the media is his and his alone.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ennett-talk-overshadows-finals-effort/?cs=302

GT0007

Juniors
Lol, quoting a Tallis comment on Bennett to support an argument.
Tallis has no cred. He is still trying to get the egg off his face after dissuading the Cowboys to secure Bennett because he was 'too old'. Then he signed with us, nek minnit.
He's been death riding Bennett from the time he joined us. Last thing Tallis wants is Bennett here and us tasting more success.
If Tallis wants us to end up with Mary it's almost enough reason on it's own to send Mary packing.
You're riding Mary's wave hard Slippery. Are you a relative, or just a friend?
Let's hope you don't end up with as much egg on your face as Tallis has over Bennett.

Its sort of a magic pudding egg. Every morning when he gets up and looks in the mirror it's still there no matter how much he scrubs.

Really unfair comment Bottle, Slippery stated he thought Bennett/Mcgregor is his choice and plenty agree with that. Although Mary doesnt have enough runs on the board in the NRL it's all been positive and you can only call what you see. Agreed Tallis has no cred! He was, is and always will be a Dic#. We are all aware of the situation and there is going to be doubt no matter which way we go. I can't remember personally being this apprehensive about appointing a coach. Maybe cos decisions never used to get dragged out like this? I think it also comes from both our recent success and our more recent failure. Maybe its also cos I sense we have another window here in 2015 or 2016. Maybe its cos I want us to be a strong club every year like we used to be

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
jowls macgregor.

even when he first played, he had to tape his cheeks to his neck so as to not trip over them. by the end of his career he used them to both smother tackle & also as a sail to catch the wind when running.
lol. Of course. I must be slipping.

For mine, McGregor's greatest legacy was his amazing ability turn his winger into the invisible man. I lost count of the amount of times Tingha was left unmarked and wanting, while jowls ran infield towards the defence.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Mary - untried rookie NRL coach with 6 games experience Vs Bennett - proven, seasoned veteran with 7 premierships and 700 games as NRL coach.
No brainer IMO
Stick the conspiracy theories where the sun don't shine along with Barrett...jeezus !

rainman44

Bench
Mary - untried rookie NRL coach with 6 games experience Vs Bennett - proven, seasoned veteran with 7 premierships and 700 games as NRL coach.
No brainer IMO
Stick the conspiracy theories where the sun don't shine along with Barrett...jeezus !

Well said mate

bottle

Coach
Really unfair comment Bottle, Slippery stated he thought Bennett/Mcgregor is his choice and plenty agree with that. Although Mary doesnt have enough runs on the board in the NRL it's all been positive and you can only call what you see. Agreed Tallis has no cred! He was, is and always will be a Dic#. We are all aware of the situation and there is going to be doubt no matter which way we go. I can't remember personally being this apprehensive about appointing a coach. Maybe cos decisions never used to get dragged out like this? I think it also comes from both our recent success and our more recent failure. Maybe its also cos I sense we have another window here in 2015 or 2016. Maybe its cos I want us to be a strong club every year like we used to be

You don't understand the history and context of the friend/relative comment so best to not buy into it.

Twenty10

Juniors
For those pushing Mary over Bennett, I seriously don't get it. As JB has said, it is a no brainer.

I agree. As much as I like Mary, a new coach normally always has a positive impact. Add to that it's only been a handful of matches. I really don't think anyone could give Mary the gig based on such a short stint. Especially given the disastrous few seasons we've had under price.

Bennett will increase crowds, memberships and corporates before a ball is kicked. The club needs an injection badly. Perhaps Mary as assistant and can take over in a few years. I think working with Bennett will help Mary develop further.

j0nesy

Bench
Seems like there are a few people in the media with axes to grind as I suggested, there are also a few rival coaches looking to destabilise the club. No point bitching amongst ourselves. Teams going well on the paddock and an upset against Manly is not out of the equation. I wouldn't have believed that moths ago. I hope we get Bennett, If we don't I won't lose sleep.

GT0007

Juniors
Seems like there are a few people in the media with axes to grind as I suggested, there are also a few rival coaches looking to destabilise the club. No point bitching amongst ourselves. Teams going well on the paddock and an upset against Manly is not out of the equation. I wouldn't have believed that moths ago. I hope we get Bennett, If we don't I won't lose sleep.

+1

GT0007

Juniors
You don't understand the history and context of the friend/relative comment so best to not buy into it.

Not buying into it my comment was related to what you said at face value. No offence mate. I have enough of my own problens in here lol

gregstar

Referee
lol. Of course. I must be slipping.

For mine, McGregor's greatest legacy was his amazing ability turn his winger into the invisible man. I lost count of the amount of times Tingha was left unmarked and wanting, while jowls ran infield towards the defence.

very true.

for a big man he was light on his feet, but given his step - he should have played on the other side of the field because as you mentioned tingha starved. imagine how many tries he could have actually ended up with.

Latest posts