What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announcement today: quitting Knights

St Georgio

Juniors
I hope Wayne Bennett's return to the Brisbane Broncos is as successful as Luiz Felipe Scolari was too Brazil!!!

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Bennett signing could not have just been hatched overnight.
Did we put an offer to him?
Which fullback do the salary exempt pricks release?

GT0007

Juniors
I wouldnt be too hard on Doust as Bennett was always going to the Bronco's if the opportunity was there. It's reprted the deal was 4 million over 3yrs. I don't want our club going broke for the sake of a coach.

GT0007

Juniors
Bennett signing could not have just been hatched overnight.
Did we put an offer to him?
Which fullback do the salary exempt pricks release?

They'll give Hoffman the flick and play Barba at 5/8 is my guess. I wonder now that they have Wayne back if they'll get more Friday Night games :D

GT0007

Juniors
You have maturity issues if you consider supporting mismanangement is supporting the team.

The Dragons CEO and Board absolutely loves fans like you.

OV

I support the team. In this circumstance Doust did what he could. Wayne does what Wayne wants and that was to go to Brisbane and there was nothing Doust could do about it. He threw $3 million at him and the Bronco's threw $4 million. At some point he wanted to return to his family. What would you do genius?

bottle

Coach
From all reports he had our club convinced he was about to sign with us, then turned out he was deliberately using us as a pawn.

And he didn't really have choices, he created the Broncos option by going over the board's head and phoning the owner of the major shareholder directly. IMO that's pretty unethical.

Well, IF true, he created his own opportunities.
Again, if you're the best and people want you then you can manipulate circumstances to your advantage.
Hate on him if you want, your prerogative. Waste of emotional energy IMO.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
He was always going to go to the Bronco's if they wanted him. He is 64 and been living away from his family for 5+ years. Makes sense and good luck to him. Saints will hopefully move on to bigger and better things.

You can't bag Saints for trying but they were up against it and if they pulled that one off it would have been a miracle. As soon as I heard Bronco's were interested Saints were going to be out of the race.

GT0007

Juniors
He was always going to go to the Bronco's if they wanted him. He is 64 and been living away from his family for 5+ years. Makes sense and good luck to him. Saints will hopefully move on to bigger and better things.

You can't bag Saints for trying but they were up against it and if they pulled that one off it would have been a miracle. As soon as I heard Bronco's were interested Saints were going to be out of the race.

I still had hope til the last couple days but it may be a blessing, time will tell. Bronco's came up with $4 million over 3yrs and as you pointed out about returning to his family we didnt stand much chance. The other thing that was reported is the Bronco's went to Newcastle to speak with him as early as May.

twinkletoes

Juniors
It appears that as far as appointing an experienced, well credentialed coach is concerned we are no further advanced than we were 3 years ago....our best/only current option appears to be another "rookie" coach, who is going OK at the moment, but is certainly untested at NRL level over any period of time

to_ddeath

Coach
Again, if you're the best and people want you then you can manipulate circumstances to your advantage.

You've gotta question the "eggs all in 1 basket" approach from Doust, Bellyache now Bennett again...
Plan B - Jobs For Da Boyz.
Hope we win tonight of course but that shouldn't build a case to extend Mary quickly either. Top 8 should be the criteria before that's even vaguely considered (should there be no other options available).

T.

bottle

Coach
According to scuttlebutt it was the loss against the Sharks that was the catalyst for the power brokers in Brissy. So not necessarily the case that he was always going to return to BNE. A fairly recent turn of events it seems.

bottle

Coach
You've gotta question the "eggs all in 1 basket" approach from Doust, Bellyache now Bennett again...
Plan B - Jobs For Da Boyz.
Hope we win tonight of course but that shouldn't build a case to extend Mary quickly either. Top 8 should be the criteria before that's even vaguely considered (should there be no other options available).

T.

I agree with the latter part of your comment entirely. There needs to be a target set to secure Mary the role, and the 8 seems the reasonable target. I think it represents a big mountain to climb given our differential and pack. If he achieves it, he demonstrates some real cred.

Unless you have some knowledge of the inner workings of the club I can't agree with your 'eggs in one basket' summation. We simply don't know what other conversations may or may not have been going on in parallel, or as contingency.

jenninga

First Grade

Agree,any of us would do the same in a new deal.And what was said before ,you don't become successful without being ruthless.
I am more keen to see who will coach us now and who we will recruit for next season now,the Bennett issue is now dead for me.
He came to us before which was a terrific ride,and as they say it wasn't meant to be.
I am more nervous about tonight's game.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I agree with the latter part of your comment entirely. There needs to be a target set to secure Mary the role, and the 8 seems the reasonable target. I think it represents a big mountain to climb given our differential and pack. If he achieves it, he demonstrates some real cred.

Unless you have some knowledge of the inner workings of the club I can't agree with your 'eggs in one basket' summation. We simply don't know what other conversations may or may not have been going on in parallel, or as contingency.

It has been several months since Price left and management announced that a search for a new coach would begin. Bennett has only been an option for the last few weeks. Therefore what has the inner sanctum be doing for the remainder of that time in searching out a new coach...I would have expected them to have several experienced options in hand, but it would appear they have put all their eggs in in basket and that opportunity came out of the blue, similar to Duggan and Marshall becoming available by chance rather than forward planning on our part. The only quality signing that appears to have happened by strategic planning is the signing of Widdop. The others ie. Duggan, Marshall and including the chasing of Bennett have been opportunistic, and that is the real concern to me.

GT0007

Juniors
According to scuttlebutt it was the loss against the Sharks that was the catalyst for the power brokers in Brissy. So not necessarily the case that he was always going to return to BNE. A fairly recent turn of events it seems.

I've read that they had meeting with Bennett back in May so it was on the cards and it might just have been the Cronulla loss that swung the board

pinkmoon

Juniors

The Bronco's chased him in 2011, and they knew he was a free agent as soon as the Tinkler ownership went down. This was in the pipe line a long time ago if you read between the lines.

bottle

Coach
It has been several months since Price left and management announced that a search for a new coach would begin. Bennett has only been an option for the last few weeks. Therefore what has the inner sanctum be doing for the remainder of that time in searching out a new coach...I would have expected them to have several experienced options in hand, but it would appear they have put all their eggs in in basket and that opportunity came out of the blue, similar to Duggan and Marshall becoming available by chance rather than forward planning on our part. The only quality signing that appears to have happened by strategic planning is the signing of Widdop. The others ie. Duggan, Marshall and including the chasing of Bennett have been opportunistic, and that is the real concern to me.

Really?
So the rumours of discussions with Sheens, Henry, Daley are all crap?
Wow, what a lot of time we've wasted on the forums discussing them then.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know you knew what the Board had been up to. I'll pay closer attention to your posts from now on, as personally I have no idea what they do with their time.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Interesting to see what happens now with those other candidates. They will probably tell Saints to pi$$ off after this Bennett fiasco especially Sheens. If not ask for heaps of dough to sign on like they promised Bennett.

Latest posts