What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announcement today: quitting Knights

Bennett's still got it...

I think so too Minh.

Imagine how the players would queue up behind Wayne Bennett as their coach. How would the likes of Widdop, the Duges, and Benji too feel? ...their decision to join Dragons vindicated at the very real chance of winning a GF. How would Frizzel and JDB rapidly reach their full potential?? It's so exciting for them all.

If I recall the demise in the latter half of the 2011 season came after Bennett announced he wasn't staying (stand to be corrected here), and the team lost their collective head and spirit.

I have a big respect for Mary - and hope there is a way forward for him at the Dragons too. Put Beeny and Deano in the mix and the opportunities and possibilities are great indeed. It takes a lot of good men unequivocal in their focus on a common goal to set a club on the road to winning a premiership.

Hec even the doustmeister would be acknowledged for doing his job well!

...here's to wishing him well that he makes a great decision on which club to join.

The mighty mighty St.George Illawarra Dragons !!!!!

If he makes it here it will be Reg at work from up above.

GT0007

Juniors
Yes, they are facts, but they are tiny aspects of those facts that you have isolated to back up your strange argument...yet you ignore majority of the facts that prove how he is the best coach the game has seen...

I find it very odd that you are so 'wary' of signing a 7-time premiership winning proven champion coach, yet in other threads youve actively said youd be happy with extending the current unproven, barely-tried rookie with no reservations or wariness...

Of course I have reservations with Mary otherwise he would be my 1st choice would he not? I have never indicated he is and I've talked of the danger of the Honeymoon effect.

What I have said is if we don't sign one of the top coaches I would stick with Mary for a year as opposed to signing an average coach with a less than 50% win record for 3yrs. I'm ok with signing Bennett as even though recent form hasnt been great I still regard him more highly than Henry for example. I've also stated I'd prefer a premiership winning coach so that doesn't leave many options of available coaches. Not sure what is confusing or odd about any of that.

Bennett himself stated today Newcastle have been embarassing and he takes full responsibility for that and that is largely why he is not continuing so maybe you can send him an email and argue the point with him?

It's fact that the last 14 games with us he only won 4. These are not my opinions they are facts and I don't call losing the semi final by 1pt (We lost both semi's) a consistant season after winning 9 out of the 1st 10 games. In his 1st 2.5 yrs as Dragons coach he was amazing but as he said today the way Newcastle are playing in his 3rd year is unacceptable and he was very despondent when it happened at the Dragons in his 3rd year. Sure he's the most successful coach of all time but after the last 3.5yrs can you say without hesitation he is still the best? I don't know. That's doesn't mean I'm saying he isn't or cant be its simple stating I have reservations. For what its worth my gut feeling is he would do well with our roster but I would hope we continue with the attacking style with maybe just a lil tweaking.

"First and foremost, I am not comfortable with the performance of the team over the three years and I take full responsibility for that," Bennett told the Newcastle Knights website

I have said Bennett has been tagged with the worst coaching record ever at Newcastle
http://www.foxsports.com.au//nrl/nr...962360450?nk=868f4252d2461dfd612b0ec9bef4f801

The 2011 season when we only managed to win 4 games out of the last 14 which includes both semi finals that we lost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_St._George_Illawarra_Dragons_season

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
And we still nearly won the comp again. What Bennett says and what he believes are two different things.

Mate we played 2 semi's and lost them both, thats not nearly winning the comp. If it is then Melb, Bris, Wests, Warriors, Cowboys and Knights also nearly won

GT0007

Juniors
I think so too Minh.

Imagine how the players would queue up behind Wayne Bennett as their coach. How would the likes of Widdop, the Duges, and Benji too feel? ...their decision to join Dragons vindicated at the very real chance of winning a GF. How would Frizzel and JDB rapidly reach their full potential?? It's so exciting for them all.

If I recall the demise in the latter half of the 2011 season came after Bennett announced he wasn't staying (stand to be corrected here), and the team lost their collective head and spirit.

I have a big respect for Mary - and hope there is a way forward for him at the Dragons too. Put Beeny and Deano in the mix and the opportunities and possibilities are great indeed. It takes a lot of good men unequivocal in their focus on a common goal to set a club on the road to winning a premiership.

Hec even the doustmeister would be acknowledged for doing his job well!

Can't argue with any of that

Bennett himself stated today Newcastle have been embarassing and he takes full responsibility for that and that is largely why he is not continuing so maybe you can send him an email and argue the point with him?

"First and foremost, I am not comfortable with the performance of the team over the three years and I take full responsibility for that," Bennett told the Newcastle Knights website

All this conjecture of his Newcastle knight's performance under Bennett's tenure there is about leadership - without ego.

A strong effective leader puts his own ego aside and publically takes the rap and accepts responsibility when the team performs poorly, and attributes all successes to the player's efforts and rest of staff and supporters when they do well.

It's the example a good leader sets. The principle is bigger than whether it actually is an accurate assessment or not.

That's why I could not respect about Steve Price.

mickeylane

Bench
I said 14 days ago - done deal to Dragons...Doust and Bennett met weeks ago and struck a deal....fact when they met in Brisbane...(Doust smokescreen was he he met w Neil Henry) Bennett never moves without knowing where he is going next!!

Expect Beau Scott to Follow ...

TheRev

Coach
btw would love Darius back to make the greatest backline seen since the Broncos of 1992...
This is kind of what I meant before about Quinlan or Dugan being caretaker fullbacks only, if not Darius, itll be 1-2 years till Dufty (or similar) who comes on board.

Not to say that Adam or Josh arent perfectly capable fullbacks, I just dont think at this stage a dynasty could be built on either of them (both are talented.. but.. 'incomplete' players).

GT0007

Juniors
All this conjecture of his Newcastle knight's performance under Bennett's tenure there is about leadership - without ego.

A strong effective leader puts his own ego aside and publically takes the rap and accepts responsibility when the team performs poorly, and attributes all successes to the player's efforts and rest of staff and supporters when they do well.

It's the example a good leader sets. The principle is bigger than whether it actually is an accurate assessment or not.

That's why I could not respect about Steve Price.

You definately have a point as you would lose the dressing room pretty quick pointing the finger at the players however its still the responsibility of the coach to get the best out of them and get results. The fact is they have had a terrible season for many reasons but Bennett is accountable like any other coach and he accepts that I'm sure. Bennetts issue was that it was his 3rd year at the club and they should have been peaking. Personally I thought they were a top 4 side before the comp started this year which was not unreasonable given their good form at the end of the previous season. After only winning 6 from the 1st 14 games they managed to scrape into the finals and won the 1st two semi's to get beat by the eventual premiers in the preliminary final. Definately a position they should've kicked on from this year. They lost 4 from their 1st 5 games so I don't see how the Tinkler situation is to blame for that as that happened much later

rainman44

Bench
Mate we played 2 semi's and lost them both, thats not nearly winning the comp. If it is then Melb, Bris, Wests, Warriors, Cowboys and Knights also nearly won

Sorry we were close to beating the broncos, end of the day it won't matter what you or I think as Bennett will coach us again so let's just enjoy the ride part two.

GT0007

Juniors
This is kind of what I meant before about Quinlan or Dugan being caretaker fullbacks only, if not Darius, itll be 1-2 years till Dufty (or similar) who comes on board.

Not to say that Adam or Josh arent perfectly capable fullbacks, I just dont think at this stage a dynasty could be built on either of them (both are talented.. but.. 'incomplete' players).

As fullbacks I agree 100%. IMO Dugan can be a complete centre and Quinlan can be a very good half but how good is just conjecture without having form in the position. It may come at a time when Benji retires and Dufty makes NRL. Certainly exciting times ahead. Dufty is certainly a talent and I hope his size isnt a disadvantage in NRL when he gets there, seems to have a good football brain so he may end up in the halves at some point but ideally fullback. Darius will only be with us for 2 or 3yrs if Bennett comes so the timing might be perfect with Quinny to play utility til Marshall retires

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
Sorry we were close to beating the broncos, end of the day it won't matter what you or I think as Bennett will coach us again so let's just enjoy the ride part two.

Yeah couldnt agree more mate, as much as I'm wary I'm also excited about the prospect

TheRev

Coach
Bennett is a great man, but hes not perfect by any stretch, to me someone like Bellamy is a far better coach in that, gets average blokes to look like stars, but hes also on the edge of strategy, and although I hate their wrestling tactics, the Storm lead the way, and the rest follow.

Bennett however as a man is a legend and a far safer bet than anyone else we might hire.. we might not win a premiership but we will harden the **** up.. and his legend helps to attract other players to the club (and retain youth), its a no-brainer tbh.

From Bennett's perspective... he knows Doust and can work with him, knows half of the player group, young, hornby, mary too, were sort of over the worst of the Post-2010 slump.. its an easy solution if he fails to land the Brisbane gig.

TheRev

Coach
As fullbacks I agree 100%. IMO Dugan can be a complete centre and Quinlan can be a very good half but how good is just conjecture without having form in the position. It may come at a time when Benji retires and Dufty makes NRL. Certainly exciting times ahead. Dufty is certainly a talent and I hope his size isnt a disadvantage in NRL when he gets there, seems to have a good football brain so he may end up in the halves at some point but ideally fullback. Darius will only be with us for 2 or 3yrs if Bennett comes so the timing might be perfect with Quinny to play utility til Marshall retires
1000% Agreed.. eventually I see Quinlan as a half or 5/8 and Dugan.. centre is as good as any position, he just needs to master a basic soft touch offload to his winger... surely he can do that with practice..

But, no worries with either of them at fullback for now.

j0nesy

Bench
No thanks to Darius, yes please to Wayne. I just hope they look after Mary in this, give him a good coaching staff role and a few years of mentoring. I think he is a good coach.

No thanks to Darius, yes please to Wayne. I just hope they look after Mary in this, give him a good coaching staff role and a few years of mentoring. I think he is a good coach.

I want good things for Mary too - although he may want to get back into his private business

GT0007

Juniors
I said 14 days ago - done deal to Dragons...Doust and Bennett met weeks ago and struck a deal....fact when they met in Brisbane...(Doust smokescreen was he he met w Neil Henry) Bennett never moves without knowing where he is going next!!

Expect Beau Scott to Follow ...

I'd love Scott back but he is 30 now so would be playing at 31 next year which would probably be his last season although he is signed to the knights til the end of 2016

GT0007

Juniors

Agreed but where Wayne goes so does Darius. Boyd is a good player when his head isnt up his own ass but I think he's a wanker. If Bennett doesnt want Mary as assistant I'm sure he will get the Cutters job

Latest posts