What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Snappy

Coach
You may have started the season as third favourite. Franlky I dont know why. But you aint near favourites now are ya

Dragon Dave

Bench
Again I ask: How could Boyd possibly fit in at Souths under the Cap IF Bennett was to head to Redfern?

They were heavily scrutinised for the Inglis deal, surely they would be full to the last cent?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Again I ask: How could Boyd possibly fit in at Souths under the Cap IF Bennett was to head to Redfern?

They were heavily scrutinised for the Inglis deal, surely they would be full to the last cent?
The only guys (of significance) we haven't resigned or are rumoured to almost be ready to sign are Sutton and Wesser. I would presume if Bennett came, Boyd would obviously want to aswell and we simply would let those two go (Wesser will probably retire anyway).

I believe Sutton is quite significantly overpaid, I read he earns more than both Burgess and Luke and second only to Inglis. By having him off the books as well as Wesser's 100k or however much he's earning, that should be enough for Boyd.

And the way Boyd has already got in the papers saying "where Wayne goes I go" I'd assume he'd play for the rep players minimum. Which is at about 300k I think.

It is not inconceivable to imagine a situation where 12 months from now the worlds best forward, best outside back, top 3 hooker and top 2 fullback are playing for us. Add Dave Taylor who I'm predicting will be playing for Australia by then, and Asotasi who is playing well enough to be back in the Kiwi side if he keeps it up.

We get Boyd if we get Bennett... we're just one of the many teams whose shortterm future could drastically change based on the decision he makes.

Wato

Juniors
The only guys (of significance) we haven't resigned or are rumoured to almost be ready to sign are Sutton and Wesser. I would presume if Bennett came, Boyd would obviously want to aswell and we simply would let those two go (Wesser will probably retire anyway).

I believe Sutton is quite significantly overpaid, I read he earns more than both Burgess and Luke and second only to Inglis. By having him off the books as well as Wesser's 100k or however much he's earning, that should be enough for Boyd.

And the way Boyd has already got in the papers saying "where Wayne goes I go" I'd assume he'd play for the rep players minimum. Which is at about 300k I think.

It is not inconceivable to imagine a situation where 12 months from now the worlds best forward, best outside back, top 3 hooker and top 2 fullback are playing for us. Add Dave Taylor who I'm predicting will be playing for Australia by then, and Asotasi who is playing well enough to be back in the Kiwi side if he keeps it up.

We get Boyd if we get Bennett... we're just one of the many teams whose shortterm future could drastically change based on the decision he makes.

You have to be kidding Taylor is massively overated. He has no work rate and is nothing but an impact backrower. There are much better backrowers at Souths let alone the comp then Taylor, he is a long way off the Australian team. These guys are all ahead of Taylor:
Gallen,Creagh,Waterhouse,Thaiday,Parker,Bolton,Bird,Harrison,Hieghington,Lewis,
Watmough,Stewart,Myles,Stagg and if Houston continues the way his playing you can add him to that list. Taylor can win you a game but he has an awful workrate and is not up to the Australian side standard yet. He is very similar to Cory Paterson as they both have so much potential but need to increase there workrate and attitude.

Unless he takes Wesser's coin,Boyd will be faced with a big decision.

Apey

Staff member
Why would you want Bennett at Souths anyway? He's unlikely to be there for longer than a few years. It's just another band-aid fix which won't pay off. Maguire or Bellamy who could be there for 10+ years and build a culture of not being physically geniused would be the best option. These quick fixes they always try have given them about as much success as an aborted fetus.

:lol:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why would you want Bennett at Souths anyway? He's unlikely to be there for longer than a few years. It's just another band-aid fix which won't pay off. Maguire or Bellamy who could be there for 10+ years and build a culture of not being physically geniused would be the best option. These quick fixes they always try have given them about as much success as an aborted fetus.

This is pretty dumb. A band-aid fix will appease plenty if it brings a premiership, and he'd certainly have the cattle at Souths.

blukablu

Juniors
Why would I want Bennett? FMD that goes in the running for the dumbest question of all time.

If he came to Souths for 3 years, we would be premiership favourites for 3 years. I'd put money on us winning at the very least once, you have no idea how much we want that 1 premiership to end the drought.

And after 3 years with him if he chose to leave we would then be in a better position for a long term coach. My pick would be Bellamy.

I'd be happy if we went after Bellamy now but he's still got years to go on his contract. He is in my opinion the #2 coach in the NRL.

As for Maguire, I've heard good things about him but I personally don't want a coach who hasn't had head coach expierience in the NRL.

Bennett had time to recruit and pick his own team (Jeremy Smith, Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Michael Weyman, Luke Priddis, Nick Emmett, Gasnier, Nathan Fien, Salior) which majority of them weren't wanted so he got them as cheap as sh*t.

Souths is still littered with overpaid douches = no premiership and by the time they come off contract Bennett would probably be retired then.

Alex28

Coach
This is pretty dumb. A band-aid fix will appease plenty if it brings a premiership, and he'd certainly have the cattle at Souths.

Really? When did they suddenly get some decent halves?

Bennett is good, but winning a premiership with Sandow at halfback good? Don't think so...

taxidriver

Coach
Bennett had time to recruit and pick his own team (Jeremy Smith, Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Michael Weyman, Luke Priddis, Nick Emmett, Gasnier, Nathan Fien, Salior) which majority of them weren't wanted so he got them as cheap as sh*t.

Souths is still littered with overpaid douches = no premiership and by the time they come off contract Bennett would probably be retired then.

you really show how little you know way too often.

Bennett recruited all those players?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Can someone just post a new thread when Bennett finally makes a decision? I'm tired of coming in here and reading the same old crap from Bunniesman about how Bennett will ride in on a white horse to deliver Souffs new golden age of dominance, how Sandow is going to grow 10 feet tall and shoot fireballs out of his a#$ at the opposing defensive line, and how all the toothless Souffs fans will miraculously see their teeth grow back.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Really? When did they suddenly get some decent halves?

Bennett is good, but winning a premiership with Sandow at halfback good? Don't think so...
Sandow (and Boyd hypothetically, if he came with Bennett and Bennett decided to play him at five eighth because we have plenty of outside backs) sh*ts on the Dragons halves. Sandow has more talent than Soward does and look what Bennett did with Soward. Actually made the little wanker into a productive player.

Sandow has started the year pretty well and that's without the worlds greatest coach.
Start the thread now, he is going home to Brisbane with Darius in toe.
Because the papers told you so? Lol. Everyone who actually counts thinks he hasn't made up his mine. Bruno Cullen said "50-50", Tinkler is still chasing him, he wouldn't do that if it was over, Tallis said we're still in the hunt.

It comes down to Bennett wanting a challenge, and of the possibleteams the Broncos are easily the least challenging.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It comes down to Bennett wanting a challenge, and of the possibleteams the Broncos are easily the least challenging.
Not this challenge rubbish again. If Bennett coaches for the challenge why did he stay at the Broncos for 20 years? Or is he all of a sudden, at 61 years of age, going through a mid life crisis?

Or is 'challenge' code for 'cash'?

Guvner

First Grade
Because the papers told you so? Lol. Everyone who actually counts thinks he hasn't made up his mine. Bruno Cullen said "50-50", Tinkler is still chasing him, he wouldn't do that if it was over, Tallis said we're still in the hunt.

LOL? No mate. Because a couple of months ago he told the Dragons playing group that he was considering going home to Brisbane but was undecided. If he was staying in NSW he was staying with the Dragons. We now know he is leaving the Dragons, so he is going home to Brisbane.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not this challenge rubbish again. If Bennett coaches for the challenge why did he stay at the Broncos for 20 years? Or is he all of a sudden, at 61 years of age, going through a mid life crisis?

Or is 'challenge' code for 'cash'?

Well it's easy to imagine that in his 30s,40s and 50s with plenty of time left he didn't feel the need to move around. But now being closer to the end than the start of his career he's interested in challenging himself as much as possible before he's done.

Collateral

Coach
BunniesMan are you still here getting a laugh out of all the people you are baiting with your jokes?

In all seriousness, Bennett will be at Brisbane with Boyd. Boyd doesnt want to stay in sydney any longer than he has to, especially if Bennett isnt here & Bennett does not want to coach at Souths...You can take that as gospel BM, trust me.

Souths will end up with someone like Nathan Brown, which isnt a bad decision either really...

Hutty1986

Immortal
Do society a favour and just f*ck off BunniesTurd, your opinions have about as much merit as your football team.

BunniesMan

Immortal
LOL? No mate. Because a couple of months ago he told the Dragons playing group that he was considering going home to Brisbane but was undecided. If he was staying in NSW he was staying with the Dragons. We now know he is leaving the Dragons, so he is going home to Brisbane.
So IF he doesn't do that and goes to a NSW club will you consider him lying scum? Let's not forget he's not immune from changing his mind. The Roosters can tell you that.