What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

BunniesMan

Immortal
Two things a few of you dumbdumbs need to get through your head. The Titans would be one of the least likely 2 or 3 teams. They just signed a coach for 5 years ffs.

As for Newcastle. You Bennett-to-Newcastle fanboys need to get over Tinkler's money. Bennett has clearly said it's not about money so stop using that as one of your reasons.

In terms of resources, a club needs to have as much as the Dragons to interest him. We have that.

We have one of the most talented teams in the comp just begging for an elite coach like him.

Many of you might laugh at it but Bennett is on record about how much the history of the game means to him. Ending a 40 year drought for a history rich team like Souths is something that will appeal to him.

As for Crowe's ego. Crowe is a lot of things but he isn't stupid. He's smart enough to offer full control to Bennett.

And the big bad "Sydney media", The likes of Wiedler and Rothfield managed to find him in Wollongong. And guess what ?! As dumb as they are, I'm pretty sure they can find a map to get them to Newcastle.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Two things a few of you dumbdumbs need to get through your head.

okay...

The Titans would be one of the least likely 2 or 3 teams. They just signed a coach for 5 years ffs.

that's one..

As for Newcastle. You Bennett-to-Newcastle fanboys need to get over Tinkler's money. Bennett has clearly said it's not about money so stop using that as one of your reasons.

that's two...

In terms of resources, a club needs to have as much as the Dragons to interest him. We have that.

that's three

We have one of the most talented teams in the comp just begging for an elite coach like him.

that's four..

Many of you might laugh at it but Bennett is on record about how much the history of the game means to him. Ending a 40 year drought for a history rich team like Souths is something that will appeal to him.

five...

Crowe is a lot of things but he isn't stupid. He's smart enough to offer full control to Bennett.

that's six...

And the big bad "Sydney media", The likes of Wiedler and Rothfield managed to find him in Wollongong. And guess what ?! As dumb as they are, I'm pretty sure they can find a map to get them to Newcastle.

that's seven things...

which two should we dumbdumbs get through our heads?

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think salary cap space is a big factor. Which is why I'm ruling Souths out.
We'd have some space if he's not interested in resigning Sandow and Sutton.

And then after 2012 we'll have more players off contract. and the cap should increase with the new tv rights deal. If he signs a 3 year deal he'll have 2 seasons where he'll have plenty of space to play with.
Its all nice and rosey in theory BM, but didnt souths publicly pull out of the race?
Not publicaly, just the rumours mills of the rags. Unnamed sources saying unnamed Souths officials are resigned to not getting him. No names, no quotes, little news value.

Galeforce

Bench
Reason Bennett will not come to Souths . he may not like the challenge of being the 2012 coach of the 2011 premiers!!! haw haw haw

BunniesMan

Immortal
which two should we dumbdumbs get through our heads?
All 7. BunniesMan was in a giving mood and decided to help the dumbdumbs with SEVEN important facts, not just the two originally promised. It's the kind of man I am, promise 2 and give 7.
You forget one thing though BM. Souffs are career killers
Burgess and Luke to name a couple seem to have done alright for themselves with us.

And one of our biggest problems has been poor coaching, that's a problem Bennet conveniently solves.

Deacon

First Grade
1.Broncos
2.Souths
3.Newcastle

Bennett outlined money will not be a driver for him that's why I think Newcastle is out. The decision will come down to family or the challenge

_Johnsy

Referee
Speaking of Steve Price, has anyone seen his chin ?
00006185-image.jpg
-

Lets hope Gaz gives it back

BunniesMan

Immortal
1.Broncos
2.Souths
3.Newcastle

Bennett outlined money will not be a driver for him that's why I think Newcastle is out. The decision will come down to family or the challenge
I agree with this. Surprisingly a Dragons fan with something non douchey to contribute.

I know a while ago I said it's Souths or Knights. Know I'm back to thinking Souths or Broncos.

The fact that he made a point of saying money isn't an issue and if it was he'd be staying at the Dragons makes me think Knights are less of a chance than people think.

As for Broncos and Souths. He said challenge. Now it's a matter of what he thinks is the greater challenge, winning more premierships with a teams he's already won with 6 times in 20 years. Easily the most successful team of the modern era.

OR

Winning a premiership with a team with the league's biggest membership base, a team that has been without success for 4 decades. A team with a long and proud history (something that Bennett has talked about respecting).

With the players we have and with the world's greatest coach the pressure would be enormous...you could even say the pressure would be challenging.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Bennett will have nothing to work with at Souths. A lot of their big names have signed on fairly lengthy contracts. He could have trouble bringing in players who he wants if their stars are eating away their cap. I honestly don't think they have the ability to win a comp yet anyway, despite the big names in their pack.

It might be a bit different if we get Idris/Snowden, but the salary is pretty balanced across the Newcastle team, much like the Dragons, which suited Bennett when he could bring in some bargain buys like Fien, Weyman, Costigan, Smith, Soward and turn them into world beaters.

Other then Gidley, we don't have the big names eating away our cap, so Bennett has the opportunity to bring in some of his own and imo would be more flexible with the team, then he would at Souths.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Here's a thought... Maybe he is going to make his way on to the Independent Commission. He's done everything in coaching you could possibly do, he's getting on a little and maybe he is thinking that it's time to find a new challenge outside of coaching and to spend more time with his family. It would be a nice little way to retire from coaching but still be involved with the game. He'd be a good guy to have on the IC also.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The rumour I've heard is that he may sit out 2012 (or at the least help out one club behind the scenes) and depending on the Bears' situation for 2013... he might be coaching them.

Kelly Patrol

Juniors
Bennet wont go to the Cowboys because they reneged on him last time.

He wont go to Souths because they have a poor group of juniors.

He wont go to Brisbane because of past history and his wish to win with a third club.

He wont go to Newcastle because of Tinklers ego.

Wayne is going to Penrith. Good junior base, a rugby league heartland and a big challenge.

Noname36

First Grade
To those saying "Bennett has said his decision wont be about money", are you really that dumb? What did you expect him to say when he was asked would his decision be about money? "Of course it's about the money. I'm gonna go to the highest bidder"...Come on, it's Wayne Bennett not Inglis. He has a bit more sense than that.