What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know that the intention of the WA Reds is to appoint the coach ASAP after the announcement. The idea being that they will work with our Jnrs during 2012 and get all the infrastructure right during 2012, and of course recruitment, ready for 2013. I heard 4 current coaches have already rang the WARL about the position. Who knows, maybe he fancies a challenge of building a non heartland club from scratch? (I think his desire to be close to his family probably discounts us though)

Liddell

Juniors
Bennett will have nothing to work with at Souths. A lot of their big names have signed on fairly lengthy contracts. He could have trouble bringing in players who he wants if their stars are eating away their cap. I honestly don't think they have the ability to win a comp yet anyway, despite the big names in their pack.

It might be a bit different if we get Idris/Snowden, but the salary is pretty balanced across the Newcastle team, much like the Dragons, which suited Bennett when he could bring in some bargain buys like Fien, Weyman, Costigan, Smith, Soward and turn them into world beaters.

Other then Gidley, we don't have the big names eating away our cap, so Bennett has the opportunity to bring in some of his own and imo would be more flexible with the team, then he would at Souths.

Cant agree there. With a decent half we would be right in the mix with Bennett in charge. Sandow, Sutton and Wesser are all off contract at the end of this year so that leaves plenty of cash for a new 7.

I cant see him bringing any Dragons players, he wouldn't want to break up what he started over there, Boyd excepted of course.

BunniesMan

Immortal
To those saying "Bennett has said his decision wont be about money", are you really that dumb? What did you expect him to say when he was asked would his decision be about money? "Of course it's about the money. I'm gonna go to the highest bidder"...Come on, it's Wayne Bennett not Inglis. He has a bit more sense than that.
The point about it not being about money isn't that he's some kind of freak who hates money.

It's that he's going to get 1 million + no matter where he goes. For someone who has been on high six figures for years and who is about to sign a multi year multi million dollar contract no matter what he decides, it isn't about money.

It's not like he's choosing between a million dollar contract with an NRL team or coaching for free somewhere in the bush or something.

Also, I've heard a rumour from someone who knows Wayne Bennett's brother Bob, "Souths are very much on the cards for Wayne next year". Direct quote that.

Liddell

Juniors
Bennet wont go to the Cowboys because they reneged on him last time.

He wont go to Souths because they have a poor group of juniors.

He wont go to Brisbane because of past history and his wish to win with a third club.

He wont go to Newcastle because of Tinklers ego.

Wayne is going to Penrith. Good junior base, a rugby league heartland and a big challenge.

Understatement of the century.

Noname36

First Grade
The point about it not being about money isn't that he's some kind of freak who hates money.

It's that he's going to get 1 million + no matter where he goes. For someone who has been on high six figures for years and who is about to sign a multi year multi million dollar contract no matter what he decides, it isn't about money.

It's not like he's choosing between a million dollar contract with an NRL team or coaching for free somewhere in the bush or something.

Also, I've heard a rumour from someone who knows Wayne Bennett's brother Bob, "Souths are very much on the cards for Wayne next year". Direct quote that.

But when you're getting towards the end of your career, and you want to know that you're setting your family (and disabled children) up for a future of being completely comfortable financially, there is a big difference between say a $1m and $2m contract.

Bennett will get good money wherever he goes, but if you think that Newcastle's money is the reason they wont get him you have rocks in your head.

RABK

Referee
Great thread - every man and his dog have heard a rumour that Bennett is going to their club.

Haha, for a man known to keep his plans even from his family until it's decision time he sure is having fun starting rumours on this one.

Loudstrat

Coach
Why the f*ck would Bennet go back to a club he walked out on? Does anyone know of a coach who ever returned to their old FG coaches job at the same club?

If Bennet really wanted a challenge - he'd think Cronulla.

Bennet only goes to clubs with a VG roster. Souffs are not that club. Knights not really either.

I'm wondering about a left fielder. I dunno if the contract situation would allow, but what chance would he head south to replace a Bronco bound Bellamy?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why the f*ck would Bennet go back to a club he walked out on? Does anyone know of a coach who ever returned to their old FG coaches job at the same club?

If Bennet really wanted a challenge - he'd think Cronulla.

Bennet only goes to clubs with a VG roster. Souffs are not that club. Knights not really either.

I'm wondering about a left fielder. I dunno if the contract situation would allow, but what chance would he head south to replace a Bronco bound Bellamy?

Jack Gibson.

Coached Easts in the late 60s, had stints with St George and Newtown, before returning to Easts in 1974 and won two premierships.

Look at the end of the day, Bennett made a personal decision, much like Gibson he wants another challenge. Whether's its Newcastle, Souths or Broncos he'll do a great job. I wish him all the best.

RABK

Referee
Knights have a very underated roster and are a Tinkler, Snowden and Idris away from having a top 4 side.

perverse

Referee
Knights have a very underated roster and are a Tinkler, Snowden and Idris away from having a top 4 side.
i don't even particularly think we need Idris to get there... just an able replacement for Doogs. Idris does, of course, fit that description and then some. Snowy is of utmost importance, though. we can't get there without at least 1 truly class prop. eventually we'll get to see how much Costigan adds to our pack this year too, i'm sure... lol.

BunniesMan

Immortal
i don't even particularly think we need Idris to get there... just an able replacement for Doogs. Idris does, of course, fit that description and then some. Snowy is of utmost importance, though. we can't get there without at least 1 truly class prop. eventually we'll get to see how much Costigan adds to our pack this year too, i'm sure... lol.
Wasn't Likiliki supposed to be the next big thing when you guys signed him...is he close to getting a game anytime soon?

Snappy

Coach
To those saying "Bennett has said his decision wont be about money", are you really that dumb? What did you expect him to say when he was asked would his decision be about money? "Of course it's about the money. I'm gonna go to the highest bidder"...Come on, it's Wayne Bennett not Inglis. He has a bit more sense than that.

This. So when he does go to Newcastle, he can say it was for the challange, not the cash. Just like hunt and folou said when they went to AFL. As if anyone believes that crap.

Dragon

Coach
Newcastle has direct flights to Brisvegas does it not? Im sure Tinks would happily fly him up and back 3 times a week if he had too

jonno_knights

Juniors
Newcastle has direct flights to Brisvegas does it not? Im sure Tinks would happily fly him up and back 3 times a week if he had too

Tinks has a private jet too. So he could fly him up whenever he wants.

Tinkler Lives in Brisbane, so I'm sure the Private jet will be doing the Newcastle/Brisbane trip fairly regularly.

If that fails, and relocating his close faimily to Newcastle was an option, Im sure Tinkler would foot the bill for that too. (But I doubt its an option, cause surely Bennett would have the money to do it himself).

And I agree with the others that the "money isnt a factor" line is generic, one said by many a sportsmen to save face when the decision is made.

Tinkler is willing to pay $2m+/season to get Bennett, Im sure paying a few expenses wont be an issue.

Things will become clearer tomorrow night though, as this is all talk until Tinkler gains ownership of the knights.