What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Shorty

Staff member
I don't mean to sound rude but, why the hell would Bennett go to Newcastle? What is the attraction there?
I'd love for him to coach the Sharks, but I think that would be a bit more of an investment than the Dragons were.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't mean to sound rude but, why the hell would Bennett go to Newcastle? What is the attraction there?
I'd love for him to coach the Sharks, but I think that would be a bit more of an investment than the Dragons were.
People keep throwing Newcastle out there as possibility, they think Bennett would be blinded by the dollar signs Tinkler will throw at him (if he wins the vote, which is no certainty).

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I forgot to add that, I don't know why people think that....Bennett has been coaching for a long time now, he's not going to stay from his family for money....I don't think he's going to Newcastle.

taxidriver

Coach
Bennett's not one for short cuts

thats why he won't go to Souths.

the bunnies are replicating everything the roosters did in the 80's and 90's and it will have the same rate of success.

grouch

First Grade
Bennett respects the Newcastle club and admires the rugby league heritage of the town. He also paid respect last year by taking to the field for Steve Simpson's final home game last year, to clap him off.

Shorty

Staff member
^So what? I'm sure he respects a lot of clubs, it's going to take more than that and really I don't see why he'd be attracted to a club that's already won 2 premierships and isn't exactly struggling.

St George had a pretty obvious motive.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Bennett's not one for short cuts

thats why he won't go to Souths.

the bunnies are replicating everything the roosters did in the 80's and 90's and it will have the same rate of success.
That's BS. I'm sure we'd be willing to give him the keys and basically dictatorial power if he chooses us.

age.s

First Grade
Key word Bennett used is "challenge". What would be challenging about going to a 1 city team in "rugby league heartland" and doing the same thing he did for 2 decades?

Penrith, Parramatta, Cronulla, Storm, Titans, Cowboys, WA Reds and Broncos would all be challenging in their own way. No doubt you'll see Souths as the bigger challenge being a Souths fan, but really any club could make the argument that their club would have something that Bennet would be excited by.

jonno_knights

Juniors

Many things.

Similar lifestyle to the gong out of the media spotlight.

Tinkler is offering more money then anyone else. A rumoured "What ever souths are offering, Ill double it".

A squad where the majority of the squad are going into the primes of the careers in that mid-20's range.

The knights have proven in 2009 (with a very similar side) they have the tools to compete with the best of them. Pushing for a top four spot up until the coaching controversy.

Direct flights to Brisbane. No doubt with free reign to use Tinklers Private jet.

A first grade coach waiting in the wings to take over if he needs to take time off to tend to his family.

Salary Cap space and third party sponsorships to rival Brisbane/Souths.

The oppurtunity to win premierships at 3 separate clubs.

The fact he has spoken high things of Newcastle in the past, and personally recommended Costigan and Henry to sign there, as it was their best option.

A great junior catchment area, which is only going to improve under Tinkler funding. Bennett might not be able to reap the full benifits in his time at the club, but im sure it would be something he would be passionate in.

All this provided the members vote gets passed tomorrow night of coarse.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
^A bit red and blue eyed don't you think?
lol...I think he might retire, actually.

jonno_knights

Juniors
^A bit red and blue eyed don't you think?
lol...I think he might retire, actually.

You asked what Newcastle could offer, I answered your question. No doubt Tinkler has played many of those cards in talks to Bennett.

What can Brisbane offer that Newcastle can't? other then being closer to his family, which bennett stated "If i have to spend 3 more years away, I will spend 3 more years away" or something along those lines.

Shorty

Staff member
Yes in terms of challenges.
It's obviously a money thing more than anything else.

perverse

Referee
in response to Shorty - it's pretty simple. he respects the club, the region, it isn't a big city and it has direct access flights to Brisbane. it offers a laid back lifestyle, isolation from the Sydney media... oh, and the other 2 million odd reasons Tinkler will throw at him. it won't just be the blank cheque in the mail, either, it will be blank cheques to do as he wishes with facilities, coaching, the works. he will likely be given absolute free reign and limitless funding to aquire his 3 club premiership milestone. just because you don't like the answers doesn't make them untrue. don't ask a question if you're not going to like the answers. Newcastle has a lot to offer a man like Wayne Bennett, in fact it offers far more intangibles than South Sydney can offer due to the location, and Tinkler can offer far more tangibles than Crowe can due to being far, far richer. a Queensland team makes perfect sense to be close to his family, but put that reason aside for another 3 years and there isn't a more suitable club than Newcastle.

edit - actually only Brisbane or the Titans make sense to be closer to his family. Townsville is further from Brisbane than Newcastle. fact. aside from being in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, then i believe Newcastle is, in fact, as close as he could be to his family without living there.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
Oh I don't believe he's coming to Townsville...we have Henry despite the struggles.
I just don't get the Newcastle hype, and I believe a lot of those things are probably the same things offered elsewhere.
Let's be real here, if he's going there it's the money more than anything else, regardless if he says otherwise.

Dragon

Coach
I think Newcastle is the best fit (if as he says, its not about family). Their squad is looking good, Newcastle has a similar lifestyle to the Gong, and the money is probably the best on offer. Out of Souffs, Brisbane and Newy, imo the Knights have the best shot at a title within the next 3 years. Good luck to him

Big Pete

Referee
The only edge I can see the Broncos having is their past connections and Bennett wanting to make sure the new breed are ready.

Newcastle will have the money and Tinkler might have the charisma to attract Bennett that Porky did back in 1987.

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh I don't believe he's coming to Townsville...we have Henry despite the struggles.
I just don't get the Newcastle hype, and I believe a lot of those things are probably the same things offered elsewhere.
Let's be real here, if he's going there it's the money more than anything else, regardless if he says otherwise.

One of the simpler posts on the forums

Latest posts