What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best ever 2nd rowers (who are they?)

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Nathan Hindmarsh was great back in the day when he used to run out wide and run over the top of people making 5 line breaks a game,now he is a useless fatso who i wish would hurry the f**k up and retire.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Lindner was a champion. He dismantled the Canberra Raiders at Parra stadium in the late 80's, probably the best comeback of all time for the Eels against a formidable Raiders side.

So he once had a great game for Parramatta. Let's lock him in then right? :sarcasm:

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Was Lindner really that good? I was a bit young to remember but my mum (a Parra fan) always said he played well for Queensland but did nothing for at club level.
She is right, he did nothing at Parra. He had a couple of good games but for someone that was a big signing, he wasn't very good.

Lindner was a champion. He dismantled the Canberra Raiders at Parra stadium in the late 80's, probably the best comeback of all time for the Eels against a formidable Raiders side.
What about his other games? Lindner was average at best for Parra.

Nathan Hindmarsh was great back in the day when he used to run out wide and run over the top of people making 5 line breaks a game,now he is a useless fatso who i wish would hurry the f**k up and retire.
Clueless. :crazy:

seaeagle sam

Lindner, Clyde, Menzies, Bob Mc, Boyd and Kennedy. All had fantastic attacking and defensive skills. f**k, I'd even prop two them and that pack would do me.

Canard

Immortal
SBW may have turned his back on League but you can't deny he was a freakishly talented, once in a generation player.

Agreed but no-one who played 4 injury plagued seasons could be considered an "all time great".

Funnily enough if he was still playing now and suffered a Roy Asostasi Mark O'Meley spectacular drop off in form he would be considered an overated hack.

By him not playing its actually helped his legacy.

Quigs

Immortal
Some fo the best Second Rowers ever

Sid Pearce, Gordon Treweeke, Duncan Hall, Brian Davies, Norm Provan, Les Boyd, Dane Sorensen, Paul Sironen, Brad Clyde, Steve Menzies, Gordon Tallis, Gareth Ellis, Nathan Hindmarsh even Bronson Harrison would be high on the list

Dane Sorensen was a prop Madunit, I think you mean his mad brother Kurt.

Best second rowers,

Les Boyd and Nev Hornery. How is that for mayhem.

Cheers
Quigs

hattori hanzo

Juniors
The best I've seen would be either Sironen or Tallis followed by Kennedy and Menzies.

Clyde is the best Backrower ever IMO but was a lock and Linder would be up there too but all the games I remember of him he played lock aswell (IIRC).
Gary Larson was always a personal favourite but probably not in the same class as the four I have mentioned.

Bro Bear

Juniors
They may not the best two but are up there with the best. Mine would be Terry Randall and Mark Graham. Both are classic defenders and both could hit like a cement truck. Kiwi/Aussie and Bears/Sea-Eagle together in the back row. They both would try and out do his other.

Last edited:

netic

Juniors
Mine would be Sirro and Tallis, 2 great players at both Club and SOO levels......

LineBall

Juniors
Though I never saw him play - Vince Karalius was always held up as one of the toughest men to play the game, and I beleive he played most of the time in the second row.

Loudstrat

Coach
They may not the best two but are up there with the best. Mine would be Terry Randall and Mark Graham. Both are classic defenders and both could hit like a cement truck. Kiwi/Aussie and Bears/Sea-Eagle together in the back row. They both would try and out do his other.
I cannot believe thats the first mantion of Terry Randall in a thread of great backrowers that idolizes Sonny Bill Injury!Randall was the games best ever defender- didn't quite have Hindy's workrate but he would make 30 lethal hits each game. Manly built their 70's era on his defence.

I cannot also believe no-one has mentioned Noel Cleal - 10x harder runner than Lindner (overpaid wimp).

For the SBW lovers, I can give you the same player a generation earlier that was far harder - had equal skills - and happily played injured. Mark Geyer could have been anything -Pity the stupid git never flattened Wally.

That I've seen:
1) Hindmarsh
2) Geyer
3) Randall
4) Sironen
5) Cleal
6) Morley
7) Boyd
8) Menzies
9) Tallis
10) Mason (in a shade over SBW, Gillmeister and Bunny Reilly)

Loudstrat

Coach
Yeah lets ignore the many origin games where he played like a champion.

He is one of the best QLD forwards of all time.

Who generally played crap in a club jumper. This list is about the best of all time - meaning they have to do good in EVERY jumper

hardbaby

Coach
My backrow would be Bob McCarthy, Rod Reddy and Bradley Clyde. Bob because he had the complete all round game, Rod because he was a total pyscho and great hole runner and Brad because his work rate was massive and it was all quality.

Honourable mentions to Sonny Bill Williams (we all hate him but he was a sick ass player), Gordon Tallis (who at his prime was almost unstopable), Nathan Hindmarsh (work rate and team spirit) and Steve Menzies (longevity and try scoring record).

And of course there was a gentleman called Jonnie Raper. I have only watched the highlight reels of him but wow, that dude was number 1. Have no doubt about it.

Canard

Immortal
Going overseas Steve Kearney was pretty unsung also, he was a tough nut, but also a decent ballplayer, probably a rung below the guys listed here.

But for example achieved more than SB Glass Jaw did in the game

typicalfan

Coach
Who generally played crap in a club jumper. This list is about the best of all time - meaning they have to do good in EVERY jumper
Wally Lewis didn't play great in the NSWRL but is still an immortal. Bob Lindner is one of origins best backrowers certainly better than jokes like Mason. QLD team of the century is a pretty good effort.

btw IMO Cartwright > Geyer. Geyer had too many brain explosions. Similar to how I have Miller ahead of Siro. Siro didn't always give 100% like the others.

Latest posts