What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Memories

Highland Saint

Juniors
My brothers and I took my late mother to that game.

82 years young, a life long dragons fan and her first time ever at Jubilee (first game anywhere in fact) and she loved Tinga, he was her fave after slippery retired.

She was wheelchair bound and the ground staff treated her like royalty and I am forever grateful of that.

When we were down by plenty at half time , my bros and I were like "it's not looking good sorry mum" and she was saying "don't count em out yet, have faith in the boys, they'll come back" so we put on a brave face during the break for her.

Then well, the second half panned out just as she said it would as we all know now.

Biggest comeback ever if I recall correctly.

We wheel mum down to the fence at full time when all the last gamers (there were a few that day) were doing a lap and Tinga gave mum a hug and a kiss.

Best day at the footy ever!

Ps for those counting, I'm the youngest of 10 with by a long way so I'm not THAT old :)

Great story

Minh

First Grade
2010 Grand final victory hands down for me.....driving down the Princess Hwy past the club with all the Dragons supporters and then having Pizza at Brighton Le Sands, best tasting Pizza ever and I dont even remember what topping it was lol.....happy memories

V

Vasilevsky

2010 Grand final victory hands down for me.....driving down the Princess Hwy past the club with all the Dragons supporters and then having Pizza at Brighton Le Sands, best tasting Pizza ever and I dont even remember what topping it was lol.....happy memories

To be perfectly honest, having a pizza is pretty lame on such a big occasion. I mean, better not to be so drunk as to only have a blurry, incomplete recollection of events as I was but celebrating a premiership victory with a pizza:sarcasm:?

Mr Red

First Grade
cant remember the year, but we were playing the tigers and were down 6 points with only seconds on the clock.
we were camped inside our own 10 metres and chanced our arm out wide.
the ball got to Blacklock with only a little room to move but he managed to beat his man and sprinted down the touchline.
as the siren sounded he got to the halfway mark and was one one with the tigers fullback and decided to chip over the top.
he managed to regather and scored under the posts.
the conversion in front was kicked and we won by two.

amazing moment...

since77

Juniors
cant remember the year, but we were playing the tigers and were down 6 points with only seconds on the clock.
the ball got to Blacklock with only a little room to move but he managed to beat his man and sprinted down the touchline.
as the siren sounded he got to the halfway mark and was one one with the tigers fullback and decided to chip over the top.

amazing moment...

And yet again the poor guy wasn't picked for NSW after being in career best form that year.

Old Timer

Coach
Love the way the old troopers never left the game before the final siren and my dad was just like that.

For the greater part of my youth you were able to give the opposition a right royal send off as they often left the ground before full time playing the mighty Dragons.

We were at the Sports ground for the the Sunday game of the day in the 68 season and the final hooter was sounding and the kids were about to rush onto the ground.

We were down by a couple and the great Stan Gorton got the ball at the eastern end of the ground about 20 yards out from the St G line.

As only Stan could do he shimmered and shook holding the ball out in front of him and he managed to get a tiny bit of space on the norther side line and away he went leaving all behind in his wake.

Mighty Dragons home after the bell and Stan covered in glory and the kids who poured onto the paddock.

Stan was the top try scorer that year with 22.

Dino would have loved Stan he had real speed.

Mr Red

First Grade
And yet again the poor guy wasn't picked for NSW after being in career best form that year.

he was the best winger in the game for about 3 seasons straight and yet didnt get anywhere near as much rep footy as he should have..
for some reason the NSW selectors thought he couldnt tackle, but i say if you score 3 tries and let 1 try in you are 2 tries in front..

SBD82

Coach
Love the way the old troopers never left the game before the final siren and my dad was just like that.

I don't think you'd consider me one of the old troopers. But I would NEVER leave a game before the siren.

I see plenty of people of all ages leaving in the final minutes. Can't for the life of me understand why they do it. If the team decided to walk off the field at the 70th minute because they were getting belted I would be so ashamed of them.

Minh

First Grade
To be perfectly honest, having a pizza is pretty lame on such a big occasion. I mean, better not to be so drunk as to only have a blurry, incomplete recollection of events as I was but celebrating a premiership victory with a pizza:sarcasm:?

Hey Vas, I'd drink with you if I thought you were worthy and umm stable.....plenty of time for drinks after Pizza.....my personal recollection is beautiful, many drinks in Vietnam and Vodka too in the ensuing days, it was bliss, do I have to elaborate. Did you enjoy....

V

Vasilevsky

he was the best winger in the game for about 3 seasons straight and yet didnt get anywhere near as much rep footy as he should have..
for some reason the NSW selectors thought he couldnt tackle, but i say if you score 3 tries and let 1 try in you are 2 tries in front..

They have a fascination for big, powerful wingers and to be honest, I think it is justified. Blacklock was for sure a great finisher but so was Nathan Merritt and look how he went in Origin. I'm not saying I agree with him being snubbed, only saying I understand the reasoning as to why he was.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Hey Vas, I'd drink with you if I thought you were worthy and umm stable.....plenty of time for drinks after Pizza.....my personal recollection is beautiful, many drinks in Vietnam and Vodka too in the ensuing days, it was bliss, do I have to elaborate. Did you enjoy....

:thumb

since77

Juniors
They have a fascination for big, powerful wingers and to be honest, I think it is justified. Blacklock was for sure a great finisher but so was Nathan Merritt and look how he went in Origin. I'm not saying I agree with him being snubbed, only saying I understand the reasoning as to why he was.

And that's why NSW have such a poor record in Origin over the last decade. Obsessed with picking so called "Origin" type players instead of the best players in each position.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

amazing moment...

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]SOTV match report [/FONT][/SIZE]3rd June 2001: [/FONT] John Simon (Wests Tigers) attempts 40 metre field goal and it drops short. Jamie Ainscough picks it up and soon Saints are on their 30 metre line. In the backline movement which follows, Lance Thompson shoots a cut out pass across to find Nathan Blacklock on his wing. Tingha accelerates and the crowd is on it's feet. He races downfield before he is met by two, make that three cover defenders at the Tigers' 30 metre line. Nathan then chips over their heads and is immediately winning the race for the ball. What happens next is a miraculous bounce which Blacklock plucks from the air and the competition's leading try scorer completes his 70 metre run to score the match winning try - without a hand ever being laid on him. This is truly one of the great Rugby League tries and one which elevates Nathan Blacklock into greatness within the Dragons' ranks. Sections of the crowd begin to chant, 'Blacklock...Blacklock...' as it becomes apparent that we have witnessed a wonderful Rugby League moment and one which will be talked about for years to come.
Link to above[/SIZE]
Video link of that try

since77 said:
More ridiculous when you think of some of the wingers that have been selected for NSW over the years, Steve Turner springs to mind. The NSW selectors in 2001 were Wayne Pearce (coach & selector), Bob McCarthy (chairman & selector), Bob Fulton (selector), Frank Fish (selector) and Geoff Gerard (selector). NSW got belted 40-14 in the series decider.

However, Tingha did go on to play for Australia, went on tour with the Kangaroos. There was an interesting thread in the forums when his Aust selection was announced. It was just along the lines of 'he has been selected for Australia'. No name needed to be mentioned.

And FTR, he did play for NSW, but it was in the other rugby football code.

Mr Red said:
His record speaks for itself.

Most tries in a premiership season, 1999, 2000 and 2001
Equaled record for top try scorer for three consecutive premiership seasons.
Only player to ever score twenty or more tries in four consecutive seasons.
St George Club record: 27 tries in one season (2001) surpassing Tom Ryan's record of 26 tries set in 1957
Most tries in first grade for the Dragons: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003

Mr Red said:
Specifically they thought he wasn't tough enough, they obviously didn't watch him up the middle carrying the occasional second row forward over the line. And yeah, there was a belief that he couldn't defend. But imo this is a myth. Blacklock wasn't a bad defender.

Notwithstanding the fact that wingers aren't selected to defend, if there are tries being scored down one side, it is more often due to something happening closer to the ruck.

But even with this in mind, Tingha often stopped tries. I lost count of the amount of intercepts took when he was outnumbered in the backline. He also became very good at stripping the ball in the in-goal.

IMO the myth was started by Fox commentators during a game against Newcastle, for some reason Brent Kite was playing in the centres for us. Andrews Johns took full advantage, spreading the ball wide and finding overlaps. Tingha repeatedly found himself defending against 2 or 3 players. But never let the facts get in the way of good story. After that game, the opposition's hoi polloi followed Fox's suit, repeating it over and over in parrot fashion.

Old Timer

Coach
Tingha did more than enough to get picked at all higher levels of the game.

If I am not mistaken his cause wasn't helped when "some bigmouth team mate" started pulling out the race card as part of the reasoning why he wasn't selected.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

For the greater part of my youth you were able to give the opposition a right royal send off as they often left the ground before full time playing the mighty Dragons.

We were at the Sports ground for the the Sunday game of the day in the 68 season and the final hooter was sounding and the kids were about to rush onto the ground.

We were down by a couple and the great Stan Gorton got the ball at the eastern end of the ground about 20 yards out from the St G line.

As only Stan could do he shimmered and shook holding the ball out in front of him and he managed to get a tiny bit of space on the norther side line and away he went leaving all behind in his wake.

Mighty Dragons home after the bell and Stan covered in glory and the kids who poured onto the paddock.

Stan was the top try scorer that year with 22.

Dino would have loved Stan he had real speed.

Great post OT....I used to enjoy a beer or 3 at the Bat & Ball with my mates that was after a drink at Mick Moylans pub at San Souci ...the expectation and build up on a Sat was second to none.....in those days it was the 3 grades....then after the game we had a quiet one on the way home somewhere along Brighton area.....cant remember the name just now...someone mentioned on here big wingers, well I can tell you and you would remember this the Poms had a winger called Billy Boston (built like a outback dunny) and we had Peter Diamond (played for Wests) when they collided the stands shook.... mate they were big mothers for wingers and bloody tough.....I reckon Boston and Diamond wouldn't have been out of place next to Kevin Ryan and Bluey Wilson and we know how tough those blokes were

Last edited:

duck

Juniors
Each to their own bone head.

After the game, while you were sipping top shelf vodka at the Novotel, I sat at the beer tent near the concourse with a mate drinking rum and coke. Too hard to get a drink at the ground so we were thirsty. Most spectacular rums I've ever had. Then I caught the train home.

How's that on the 'lame' scale?

TruSaint

Referee

After the game, while you were sipping top shelf vodka at the Novotel, I sat at the beer tent near the concourse with a mate drinking rum and coke. Too hard to get a drink at the ground so we were thirsty. Most spectacular rums I've ever had. Then I caught the train home.

:lol:
sounds like fun to me

V

Vasilevsky

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect, I would rate your fishing ability at a 1. If you want to know what I was doing or what I did, you should just ask and then I will decide if I want to tell you or not. Fishing has zero chance of success.

Latest posts