What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Memories

duck

Juniors
lol my fishing ability a 1 yet you bit within minutes.

I don't give a shit what you did post game. Just don't bag someone for celebrating with one of life's simple pleasures.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

lol my fishing ability a 1 yet you bit within minutes.

I don't give a shit what you did post game. But don't bag someone for celebrating with simple pleasures.

So if you don't give a shit about it, why fish and then ask me what I think?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
The paper that year had a big iron on Dragon transfer which I put on a brand new T Shirt and when I got there they were everywhere in the crowd.

I was with a heap of mates in the front of the Brewongle booing Cronin as he had a shot at goal to win the original GF and we all gasped in extra time when Tony Quirk hit the cross bar with a drop goal attempt.

I think it was actually Price who put the knees into Schulman aka Bantom surely it must be on record somewhere.

In the replay Garry Cook just before kick off told St George they had 10 m minutes of square up and Reddy ran amok belting Price and Higgs (a mild tempered player) from pillar to post for almost the entire 1st half.

Fittingly one of the tries they scored that day (Starkey's I think) was an old move from the glory days called Billy's ball.

Hey Old Timer, wasn't Billy's Ball a play from the semi final in 77 against Parramatta? I was there at the SCG and as I recall Lord Ted ran in under the posts at the Sheridan stand end (where the 'Lord Ted' fan club sat) after Parra were bamboozled. When I spoke with Billy Smith (who wasn't actually playing in 77), at a game many years later he laughed when he recalled the move and claimed he had invented it - hence 'Billy's Ball"
They may have put in on in the replay as well, just cant remember that as well.

duck

Juniors
Back on topic lads. Too many good stories here. My apologies for engaging the simpleton.

duck

Juniors
It's been many years since I watched a game at the SCG. Probably a dumb question but is the Sheridan Stand still there? My preferred position was Sheridan Stand or the hill.

duck

Juniors
Piggy Riddell kicking a penalty from 45 metres out in the last minute to beat the Broncos. Hell yeah. That was just so good. I was there. Massive support for the Dragons that night.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Tingha did more than enough to get picked at all higher levels of the game.

If I am not mistaken his cause wasn't helped when "some bigmouth team mate" started pulling out the race card as part of the reasoning why he wasn't selected.
It wasn't Mundine's fault. But if you're right and Blacklock was penalised because another indigenous player was speaking his mind, then that's a disgrace in itself.

Old Timer

Coach
Hey Old Timer, wasn't Billy's Ball a play from the semi final in 77 against Parramatta? I was there at the SCG and as I recall Lord Ted ran in under the posts at the Sheridan stand end (where the 'Lord Ted' fan club sat) after Parra were bamboozled. When I spoke with Billy Smith (who wasn't actually playing in 77), at a game many years later he laughed when he recalled the move and claimed he had invented it - hence 'Billy's Ball"
They may have put in on in the replay as well, just cant remember that as well.

Good call LMD you are correct.

I watched both the the games on youtube today and in the call Moose Mossip actually talked about Billy's ball being used in the semi against Parramatta.

John Jansen scored a try in the replay from a criss cross move similar but not quite the same.

I was looking to see who kneed Bantam but that part was not in the shorts shown on youtube.

Gotta love Rocket Reddy giving it to everyone including a head lock and hair pull on Price that Killer Kowalski would have been proud of.

It was great that Barry Beath played in that team as he was the last link back to the golden era.

His statistics show that he in fact played in a winning grand final in his first year (1966) and his last year (1977) at St George which in fact meant he had an 11 year run with the club sort of poetic in a way.

TruSaint

Referee
Choc has said some crap in his time, yet he was a great player for us. I wont defend many of his comments, but Tingha not being selected , after breaking every record possible was a disgrace. A stain on the selectors. JUst my opinion.

Haha Rocket, loved watching him play. Also Brad Mackay.

Two very different players, but brilliant at their respective games.

Remember watching Billy Smith go round. Billy was a legend

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's been many years since I watched a game at the SCG. Probably a dumb question but is the Sheridan Stand still there? My preferred position was Sheridan Stand or the hill.
It was demolished a few years ago. Brewongle Stand was rebuilt.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Choc has said some crap in his time, yet he was a great player for us. I wont defend many of his comments, but Tingha not being selected , after breaking every record possible was a disgrace. A stain on the selectors. JUst my opinion.

And mine to bud.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Extract from 1977 grand final reply newspaper article "Late in the match, Robert Stone found the ball and ran 30 metres to score a rare forward's try right in front of the St. George faithful who, as per the club's tradition, had massed in the Sheridan Stand."

For those that don't know the Sheridan stand always housed during semi finals what is now called the dragon army. I was just a boy but they would take over the whole right side of the stand and just sing all day. The chants and echo from that majestic old stand will forever live in my heart. You could thump the old floor with your feet and clap and the noise was deafening.

The players loved the support.

Mr Red

First Grade
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]SOTV match report [/FONT][/SIZE]3rd June 2001: [/FONT] John Simon (Wests Tigers) attempts 40 metre field goal and it drops short. Jamie Ainscough picks it up and soon Saints are on their 30 metre line. In the backline movement which follows, Lance Thompson shoots a cut out pass across to find Nathan Blacklock on his wing. Tingha accelerates and the crowd is on it's feet. He races downfield before he is met by two, make that three cover defenders at the Tigers' 30 metre line. Nathan then chips over their heads and is immediately winning the race for the ball. What happens next is a miraculous bounce which Blacklock plucks from the air and the competition's leading try scorer completes his 70 metre run to score the match winning try - without a hand ever being laid on him. This is truly one of the great Rugby League tries and one which elevates Nathan Blacklock into greatness within the Dragons' ranks. Sections of the crowd begin to chant, 'Blacklock...Blacklock...' as it becomes apparent that we have witnessed a wonderful Rugby League moment and one which will be talked about for years to come.
Link to above[/SIZE]
Video link of that try

More ridiculous when you think of some of the wingers that have been selected for NSW over the years, Steve Turner springs to mind. The NSW selectors in 2001 were Wayne Pearce (coach & selector), Bob McCarthy (chairman & selector), Bob Fulton (selector), Frank Fish (selector) and Geoff Gerard (selector). NSW got belted 40-14 in the series decider.

However, Tingha did go on to play for Australia, went on tour with the Kangaroos. There was an interesting thread in the forums when his Aust selection was announced. It was just along the lines of 'he has been selected for Australia'. No name needed to be mentioned.

And FTR, he did play for NSW, but it was in the other rugby football code.

His record speaks for itself.

Most tries in a premiership season, 1999, 2000 and 2001
Equaled record for top try scorer for three consecutive premiership seasons.
Only player to ever score twenty or more tries in four consecutive seasons.
St George Club record: 27 tries in one season (2001) surpassing Tom Ryan's record of 26 tries set in 1957
Most tries in first grade for the Dragons: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003

Specifically they thought he wasn't tough enough, they obviously didn't watch him up the middle carrying the occasional second row forward over the line. And yeah, there was a belief that he couldn't defend. But imo this is a myth. Blacklock wasn't a bad defender.

Notwithstanding the fact that wingers aren't selected to defend, if there are tries being scored down one side, it is more often due to something happening closer to the ruck.

But even with this in mind, Tingha often stopped tries. I lost count of the amount of intercepts took when he was outnumbered in the backline. He also became very good at stripping the ball in the in-goal.

IMO the myth was started by Fox commentators during a game against Newcastle, for some reason Brent Kite was playing in the centres for us. Andrews Johns took full advantage, spreading the ball wide and finding overlaps. Tingha repeatedly found himself defending against 2 or 3 players. But never let the facts get in the way of good story. After that game, the opposition's hoi polloi followed Fox's suit, repeating it over and over in parrot fashion.

Champion post Willow !

hazzbeen

Bench
Haha Rocket, loved watching him play. Also Brad Mackay.

Two very different players, but brilliant at their respective games.

Remember watching Billy Smith go round. Billy was a legend

Yea Mills, Smith was as tough as teak ... Tommy Bishop, Ken Maddison , Johnathon Docking enjoyed these guys when they where playing....

V

Vasilevsky

Piggy Riddell kicking a penalty from 45 metres out in the last minute to beat the Broncos. Hell yeah. That was just so good. I was there. Massive support for the Dragons that night.

One of my most underrated favorite moments is when you did the streaker run at SOO game 3 2013. Not exactly a Dragons moment but Trent Merrin was highly unimpressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Thanks sans souci.

How about what I think was Ricky walfords last game at kogarah. It was 2004 and we are behind manly by about 34-10 with about 20mins to go and the southerly change hits even harder and its belting rain and about 75% of the crowd leave.

I stayed (have always honored dads rule never to leave until the siren) and we come back and win it with second remaining - that was a great day.

You can find that comeback on you tube.

I was there !
Ended up hugging a fellow saints supporter I had never met.
When we scored a try at 34-10 down, He looked at me and said "we can do this" !
I believed him, and by the end, he was a legend to me.
Still get goosebumps thinking about it !

hazzbeen

Bench
I was there !
Ended up hugging a fellow saints supporter I had never met.
When we scored a try at 34-10 down, He looked at me and said "we can do this" !
I believed him, and by the end, he was a legend to me.
Still get goosebumps thinking about it !

I was one of the guys that left the ground to walk home .. Was stunned to find out that we had won... I know I should have stayed.....:(

Highland Saint

Juniors
I was one of the guys that left the ground to walk home .. Was stunned to find out that we had won... I know I should have stayed.....:(

I think I've watched too many sports movies. I'm always hanging around for the miracle come back. Except at a game at Win aagainst Panthers in I think 2014. Left at half time. Dark days

Latest posts