What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best pack in the NRL 2007 ??

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
To make this meaningful, give one of your props and a couple of 2nd rowers a hamstring injury. What does your pack look like now?

Some of these packs look great, but a couple of injuries and suddenly the depth starts looking dodgy.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I rate canberra's pack next year pretty highly
alot of depth there too. We'll start the year without Thom Learoyd-Lahrs and it still good enough to hold its own against any in the comp.

The Bulldogs and Broncos as per usual are leading the way in the forwards, Melbournes is tidy aswell

penrith and the tigers are in big trouble

D

Deleted member 10972

Roosters 2007 pack, if formed right, might be close to, but not as good as, our 2002 pack.

8. Jason Cayless (2002), Danny Nutley (2007)
9. Simon Bonetti (2002), Craig Wing (2007)
10. Peter Cusack (2002), David Shillington (2007)
11. Adrian Morley (2002), Nigel Plum (2007)
12. Craig Fitzgibbon (2002), Craig Fitzgibbon (2007)
13. Luke Ricketson (2002), Ashley Harrison/Braith Anasta (2007)

14. Chris Flannery (2002), Chris Flannery (2007)
15. Michael Crocker (2002), Nate Myles (2007)
16. Bryan Fletcher (2002), Anthony Tupou (2007)
17. Andrew Lomu (2002), Charlie Tonga (2007)

We have plenty of backrowers. Braith Anasta, Nigel Plum, Ash Harrison, Craig Fitzgibbon, Chris Flannery, Anthony Tupou & Nate Myles (prop/backrow) in FG, Lopini & Mickey Paea (prop/backrow), Adam Schubert, Steve Meredith, Mitchell Aubusson, Setaimata Sa, Shane Shackleton (prop/backrow), Danny Williams (prop/backrow) in PL. However, when it comes to genuine props (the aforementioned prop/backrowers can either shift into prop from backrow or play as a prop off the bench as long as he isn't the only prop on the bench) that we have are David Shillington, Danny Nutley, Chris Beattie & Charlie Tonga. With one of the three not including Nutley having to miss FG, we still need one more prop in our PL pack, the gap that first Hannant, then Rose, then Hall vacated. Danny Williams & Frank-Paul Nuuausala aren't ready yet.

8. ???
9. Heath L'Estrange/George Ndaira
10. Chris Beattie
11. Mickey Paea
12. Lopini Paea
13. Mitch Aubusson

14. Adam Schubert
15. Setaimata Sa
16. Shane Shackleton
17. Steve Meredith

Reserves: Danny Williams, Frank-Paul Nuuauasala

Mal Meninga

Bench
Marshall_magic said:
As long as Gibbs is not in first grade, we should avoid the spoon
I remember a Bryce Gibbs thread being made by the Tigers stating how much of a gun he'd become after getting knocked out by O'Meley :lol: :lol: :lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
Raider_69 said:
penrith and the tigers are in big trouble
???? :sarcasm:

8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Matt Cross
11. Tony Puletua
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Shane Rodney

14. Trent Waterhouse
15. Paul Aiton
16. Matt Bell
17. Brian Norrie

Plus hopefully we find room to give Junior Moors a run, or maybe use Craig Trindall off the bench. We've also got a lot of promising Jersey Flegg forwards and we signed a few young props for next year also.

Not the best forward pack ever, but half of them were part of the 2003 Grand Final team. Then you have Matt Bell who has been talked up quiet a bit, Paul Aiton who is one of our best impact players in quiet some time. Frank Pritchard who is a Kiwi international, Matt Cross who is a solid player and Brian Norrie who i really don't rate at all. We got rid of Luke Swain. So our 2007 forward pack is going to be better. In the event of injury, our replacement will be better then Swain.

Panthers may be in trouble next year. But it aint our forwards... or our halves. We desperately need good centres. Get our wingers some ball and create opportunities.

aids

Bench
we've got one of the poorest forward packs in the comp next year.
same as 2005.

we'll see what happens

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
aids said:
we've got one of the poorest forward packs in the comp next year.
same as 2005.

we'll see what happens

i know what you are saying, but the forwards of 2005 and 2007 are very different in the roles they play.

Sure if the other teams forwards didn't change their style of play and adapt to the faster paces of the games today, tigers forwards would have been up to the task like the previous year. But other teams have found out that you cannot have a team full of forwards that just bring the ball up, and also you cannot have a team full of forwards that rely on pace rather than strength. You have to have a team full of forwards that have the ability to do both. The broncos found out the hard way, and i think the tigers need to realise that the tactics used in 2005 would not work again and need to combine the two abilities that a forward playing the game today needs.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
mxlegend99 said:
???? :sarcasm:

8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Matt Cross
11. Tony Puletua
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Shane Rodney

14. Trent Waterhouse
15. Paul Aiton
16. Matt Bell
17. Brian Norrie

I'd go with

Clinton
Priddis
Waterhouse
Rodney
Puletua
Aiton

Cross
Grant
Pritchard
Sammut/Moors

skeepe

Immortal
The Raiders probably won't have the best, however it's hard to go past them if you're talking about depth.

Dane Tilse
Lincoln Withers
Troy Thompson
Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
Neville Costigan
Alan Tongue
Matt Bickerstaff
Michael Weyman
Trevor Thurling
Glen Turner
Scott Logan
Andrew Dunemann
Josh Miller
Jason Williams
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Alan Rothery
Joe Picker
Willie Raston
Ben Jones
Marshall Chalk

Aside from Picker, who has been selected in the Australian Invitational side to take on New Zealand A on Saturday, all have first grade experience and all are at the very least solid players.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Nope, none of them would make any of the top 4 sides' pack from last year. Thats a fact really. Name me one player that would make the brisbane side, or the melbourne side or the dragons pack!

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Nope, none of them would make any of the top 4 sides' pack from last year. Thats a fact really. Name me one player that would make the brisbane side, or the melbourne side or the dragons pack!

Neville Costigan. Too easy. Regularly made the Brisbane pack throughout 2006. Oops, did I just make locky look stupid again? Nevermind, you can cry your eyes out on the way back to LA.

Latest posts