What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest ever prelim final crowd coming up?

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The biggest crowd EVER for a Finals match - excluding Grand Finals - is 57,973 for St. George vs Parramatta Preliminary Final at Sydney Cricket Ground, 17 August 1963.

I stand to be corrected on this one, but going through the history books that's the biggest crowd I can find.

bartman

Immortal
Bulldogs v Eels @ ANZ will be a great clash, but realistically, your major semi will only draw 50K max (without freebies), more likely something like 42K if its a night game.

As Bluebags has said, the biggest ever seems only 57K - and that was when rugby league exclusively owned this town.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I wouldn't worry about any idiot Dogs fans turning up, they can't afford tickets to games like the semi's.

I am hoping Parra make it that far, because really you want your team to face a team in top form, to know you didn't get the easy route to the final.

If the Eels beat the Titans, we'll be sitting on a week three corker. Bulldogs v Parramatta @ ANZ Stadium. :crazy:

Is it possible we could get 70, even 80k for such a clash? Both teams have the support, and the media in the lead up will be going absolutely wild...

(this is in no way meant to offend Titans' fans, I'm merely excited at the possibility!)

um this is rugby league. and yeah, its sydney too. the 25k finals hoodoo max in sydney WILL NOT BE BROKEN!!

disgusting but down right accurate

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

So the Dogs v Eels Elimination semi two years ago that drew in 50,621... that was just an abherration? Piss off to an AFL forum or something, dolt.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
:lol:

So the Dogs v Eels Elimination semi two years ago that drew in 50,621... that was just an abherration? Piss off to an AFL forum or something, dolt.

people seemed to have missed that bit huh? and they almost missed the fact that at the time the Bulldogs were on a 3 game loosing streak?:? yet we still got 51,000 - and it wasn't even the major final:crazy:

Avenger

Immortal
Hmmm why do I get the feeling Scott Prince is going to throw a spanner in the works. Certainly if he gets the titans into the same positions the dragons did he wont let the Eels off the hook with inept organisation skills like Soward and Hornby showed.

Very true. Prince is exceptional.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If Parra beat the Titans, I am going to hate the media build up. You just know...just know that 1998 will be brought up over and over and over again, and as a Parra fan, that is the most pain you could have, more then 2001 I feel.

Still, going to a club game with 60,000 is certainly rare so I would never pass it up. Just hope crowd violence stays away as the Dogs cant really afford too many more.

mattyg

Bench
Dogs and Eels were both in mediocre-ish form in 2007 when the 50k crowd happened. I deadset think this will be 70k+...might even sellout. Lets hope this can happen.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I wouldnt be suprized if this weeks Parra game sold out, and if we win, we get 80,000. That would be what 6 weeks of full or near full capacity games for Parra.

Ridders

Coach
Gallop should do everything in his power to make sure that Parra make it through. The buzz for Dogs vs Parra would be insane. I reckon we could get 60 000 MINIMUM, given how well both teams are currently doing.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The number of times I have read outlandish crowd predictions in the crowd thread only to have about half the number of people turn up leads me to think they would pull 50k at best. Let us see.

Ridders

Coach
The number of times I have read outlandish crowd predictions in the crowd thread only to have about half the number of people turn up leads me to think they would pull 50k at best. Let us see.

Given the crowd both teams pulled a couple of years ago in Wk 2, when neither team was doing anything special, says otherwise. Anything under than 60 K for a Dogs vs Parra Prelim Final would be a massive disapointment.