What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest improvers in 2010

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Tigers will be the big movers, especially if Galloway can reproduce his form from early last year. With Cayless and Ellis also in the mix they finally have a decent forward pack.

Last edited:

NAS

Juniors
Whilst Souths and the Tigers will no doubt improve, for my money the big improvers will be the Canberra Raiders...

The young blokes they have down there (some who debuted last season, and some who will this season) all have exceptional talent.....Big mobile fit forwards and really classy backs. They all seem to play for each other as well.....didn't lose anyone that they'd have wanted to keep.

they're my tip....get on em for top 8, and perhaps top 4 if you're the risk taking type.

houdini1

Juniors
Agreed re the Tigers and Roosters. Roosters couldn't have been any worse. Souths will still be ordinary, may improve a few spots because teams like the broncos and Newcastle will be weaker.

Talanexor

Juniors
Biggest Movers:

Souths
Tigers
Cowboys
Raiders

Why? Souths have recruited the best. Easily the best forward pack in the NRL, capable outside backs even if they aren't big names, and JOHN SUTTON. Statistically he was the best 5/8 last year.

Tigers have also recruited, but nowhere near as well. A lot of their recruits wouldn't get a start in first grade at other clubs however (Fitzhenry anyone?), and the ones who would are old and injury prone (Cayless, Tuqiri). Nevertheless, they've got decent forwards, solid outside backs and Moltzen is going to be a future star.

Cowboys will certainly make the 8 this year, though the reasons are less clear cut. Two most important signings are Mason and Gallant. Mason because he'll fire up the forwards a lot, or at least provide depth and competition for spots, which is always a good thing and especially when you've got a bunch of talented but inconsistent forwards (Webb, Kaufusi). Gallant gives us what Bowen used to, a lightning fast fullback sniffing around the rucks for offloads. More importantly, we'll have another year of Neil Henry and Billy Johnstone. Our defence improved out of sight when those two took over; you can expect our attack to improve just as much. Did you see what he Henry did to a bunch of nuffy Raiders in 2008? Imagine that with Thurston, Bowen and Payne calling the shots.

Raiders will improve and make the 8 because they have a lot of VERY talented juniors who will have gained a lot of experience last year. Biggest problems are halfback and hooker IMO; McCrone and Herbert are both duds, but as they are both fighting for a contract, expect one or both to lift this season. Tongue is about the worst hooker in the NRL, but for some reason Furner persists with him there. He either needs to learn how to play as a hooker or go back to tackling his socks off at lock.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Raiders will improve and make the 8 because they have a lot of VERY talented juniors who will have gained a lot of experience last year. Biggest problems are halfback and hooker IMO; McCrone and Herbert are both duds, but as they are both fighting for a contract, expect one or both to lift this season. Tongue is about the worst hooker in the NRL, but for some reason Furner persists with him there. He either needs to learn how to play as a hooker or go back to tackling his socks off at lock.
Tonguey will only be at hooker for the first 20 or so then Waddell will come on.
But if Waddell turns to sh*t or gets injured we're f**ked at Hooker.

Talanexor

Juniors
Tonguey will only be at hooker for the first 20 or so then Waddell will come on.
But if Waddell turns to sh*t or gets injured we're f**ked at Hooker.

I wonder if its worth experimenting with McCrone or Herbert at hooker. Because neither of them are good enough halfbacks, and Campese has a 5-year mortgage on the 6 jersey.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Where did you get that photo of Campo, Chief? f**kin beayuty!

I like the Raiders. Soft spot for the Green Machine and I talk em up every year. IF, IF, IF they can learn consistency and strike a balance in the halves where Campo isn't trying to do ebverything, then they have the size, speed & talent to really rocket up the ladder. They also have the best home ground advantage in the NRL.

I'm not sure Furner is the man, or that this is the year they finally stop rebuilding and start contending, but if they keep Croker, Dugan, Lowe, Fensom & Waddell and get the best out f their big men, then they are on the cusp of another great era I believe.

Noa

First Grade
It will will all depend on the 7 for Canberra.

They will need to send whoever it is to the Cooper Cronk School of How to Become An Elite Half Over the Offseason.

Canard

Immortal
Cowboys will certainly make the 8 this year, though the reasons are less clear cut. Two most important signings are Mason and Gallant. Mason because he'll fire up the forwards a lot, or at least provide depth and competition for spots, which is always a good thing and especially when you've got a bunch of talented but inconsistent forwards (Webb, Kaufusi). Gallant gives us what Bowen used to, a lightning fast fullback sniffing around the rucks for offloads. More importantly, we'll have another year of Neil Henry and Billy Johnstone. Our defence improved out of sight when those two took over; you can expect our attack to improve just as much. Did you see what he Henry did to a bunch of nuffy Raiders in 2008? Imagine that with Thurston, Bowen and Payne calling the shots.

Tal

I think you have wildly overated our chances.

Its funny how you mentioned that the Tigers had recruited guys that wouldn't play first grade at any club, yet for us your listed as a star recruit Gallant, who wasn't playing NRL first grade at any other club.

Also Id say at least 4 members of our backline certainly fit into that category also.

I wonder if its worth experimenting with McCrone or Herbert at hooker. Because neither of them are good enough halfbacks, and Campese has a 5-year mortgage on the 6 jersey.

I like McCrone.

Raiders just need to be more consistent, they never have a happy medium, they are either the Harlem Globe Trotters or The Double Amputee Rugby League Squad who can not catch a ball.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Herb is nippy enough to steal good meters from dhalf. I don't know how good his disturbution would be though.
McCrone was playing alright towards the end of the season and deserves a crack this year.

Ronnie Dobbs said:
Where did you get that photo of Campo, Chief? f**kin beayuty!
It's from his formal. Thommo showed it on NRL on Fox as revenge for something Campo did to him. There was a great pic of Monnas during his high school days as well. Here's the clip,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xFZhChrTE

Ronnie Dobbs said:
I'm not sure Furner is the man, or that this is the year they finally stop rebuilding and start contending, but if they keep Croker, Dugan, Lowe, Fensom & Waddell and get the best out f their big men, then they are on the cusp of another great era I believe.
Yea I'm pretty confident if we hold onto those kids we can challenge. Not expecting any miracles this year but we have a team that should make the 8.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They need belief. Thats a cultural thing & something that hasn't been prevalent at the Raiders since the turn of the century.

I lived in canberra for years and the Raiders don't have that seige mentality. Its not that they feel like they're not good enough, but they don't knock down the door trying to prove they are either. If that changes (and it only takes one spark to start a fire. The Dragons game last year is a case in point) and they can start string some consistent performances together, then I have no doubt they have the talent available to cause a lot of headaches and again become a true force.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Souths and Tigers will be the biggest improvers. Easts and the Cows will also improve. Melbourne will probably have a sh*t start with all their injuries but then come good...as usual. I'd give Canberra another year before we see a big improvement in them and their young'uns.

Talanexor

Juniors
Tal

I think you have wildly overated our chances.

Its funny how you mentioned that the Tigers had recruited guys that wouldn't play first grade at any club, yet for us your listed as a star recruit Gallant, who wasn't playing NRL first grade at any other club.

Also Id say at least 4 members of our backline certainly fit into that category also.

Thurston was a benchie when we signed him. Also, just about every Tigers fan rates Gallant bigtime and would have preferred to see him at fullback instead of Moltzen.

He gives us a real threat from fullback (which we haven't honestly had since 2007). MORE IMPORTANTLY, once Bowen comes back from injury he either goes to the wing or forces Bowen into the halves, and I'm fine with either.

You've just gotta have faith in Neil Henry Canard. In his first year at the Raiders their defence improved a lot, but their attack was awful. In his second year, 2008, the Raiders played the most entertaining, attacking footy anyone has seen in years.

If Neil Henry does the same thing at the Cowboys - with the talent we have already - something special is going to happen.

You're right about our backline though. We're way overdue for a young back to have a breakout season. If we could uncover another Mortimer, Locke or Dugan, it would be amazing.

Talanexor

Juniors
Sorry for the double-post, and I doubt anyone really cares, but here's the best backline I can put together for the Cowboys once Bowen returns:

1. Gallant
2. ?
3. Luke O'Donnell
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Bowen
7. Thurston

Halves would be hands-down the best in the NRL.

O'Donnell is rock solid in defence and is surprisingly quick for a big man - not a classic centre, but I believe he'd get the job done.

Willie Tonga is great, has a very complete game if not blistering pace.

And John Williams is a better-than-average winger (although plenty of people disagree). Anyone who can play outside Ash Graham and still score tries and save tries has to be a good winger. Playing outside O'Donnell and getting quality ball from Thurston and Bowen, he'll be scoring plenty.

Only really leaves one spot to fill. Like I said, we really need a youngster to stand up.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Sorry for the double-post, and I doubt anyone really cares, but here's the best backline I can put together for the Cowboys once Bowen returns:

1. Gallant
2. ?
3. Luke O'Donnell
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Bowen
7. Thurston

Halves would be hands-down the best in the NRL.

O'Donnell is rock solid in defence and is surprisingly quick for a big man - not a classic centre, but I believe he'd get the job done.

Willie Tonga is great, has a very complete game if not blistering pace.

And John Williams is a better-than-average winger (although plenty of people disagree). Anyone who can play outside Ash Graham and still score tries and save tries has to be a good winger. Playing outside O'Donnell and getting quality ball from Thurston and Bowen, he'll be scoring plenty.

Only really leaves one spot to fill. Like I said, we really need a youngster to stand up.

I was reading that obe giea has been killing it and malone must be worth a punt too. Anything but Gash Graham doing his frank spencer impersonation in the certres would be nice. Ty Williams runs as fast as my grandparents f**k nowdays so his best would seem to be behind him. Got my doubts about John Wiiliams as well.

We really need some quality backs, it's a shame minto and hegarty are not there anymore :D

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Bowen could play 6 for sure, but you'd be blunting a lot of his support play from the back field, which is ( or was ) his strength.