What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest improvers in 2010

mxlegend99

Referee
Yet the top 4 gumbies (Maurice Blair, Brad Tighe, Shane Elford and Adrian Purtell) would walk into the Cowboys, Sharks and Broncos (without Hodges) backlines. They aren't superstars, but they're aren't a weakness. They just round out a solid backline.

Big Pete

Referee
5 gumbies, David Simmons.

They wouldn't walk in unless there was an injury. The Broncos are fine in the backline.

NAS

Juniors
Yet the top 4 gumbies (Maurice Blair, Brad Tighe, Shane Elford and Adrian Purtell) would walk into the Cowboys, Sharks and Broncos (without Hodges) backlines. They aren't superstars, but they're aren't a weakness. They just round out a solid backline.

The cowboys weren't all that strong in the backline in 04,05 or 07 when they made the finals. Blokes like David Myles, and Justin Smith, and Josh Hannay.

But if Thurston and Bowen are firing, they'll make anyone look good (except Hegarty and Bani......Those two suck).

Gaba

First Grade
It wasn'y all up to Hayne last year.

But he was the majority of it and there was the games in a row against depleted sharks,warriors,knights,tigers and panthers otherwise the eels would have been 13-14th.

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
dribble dribble dribble choke

but hayne showed once a team lifts for the game he isnt as dangerous as he thinks , but credit to the eels
unlike the roosters the eels had a coach what known hayne is no good except for wing, fullback and put him back to thier strength unlike the roosters continue to keep pearce at halfback and got what they derserved and will go close to getting the spoon again if pearce is at halfback for the majority of this year

The roosters have a coach with game plans and i dont think he would put up with the bombing and kicking rubbish from pearce this year , got a feeling pearce will be punted early as round 5

what could save the roosters getting back to back spoon

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
No they don't.

Coote's green.
Jennings is awesome in attack, average in defence. All-round he's AS good as Tonga who's inferior in attack but superior in defence.
Gordon is solid, just like John Williams.

The rest of your backline is made up of gumbies.

Dribbler.

Coote's as good as anyone

Jennings wipes the floor with Tonga in ALL facets.

Gordon smashes Williams in all facets...to say he is just solid is pure ignorance.

1. Hoffman, 2. Kemp, 3. Teo, 4. Folau, 5. Michaels

wow...i'm shaking in my boots against that backline.

Hoffman who is an ordinary fullback...Kemp who proved last season he is rubbish.

Teo can't tackle, Folau is the worst defensive centre in the competition and Michaels is on par with Purtell and Simmons.

How exactly is that backline better than Penrith?

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Kemp didn't prove he was rubbish last season... He was injured and also struggled to adjust in NZ. He was great in 2007 and I think he'll prove in 2007 just how good of a player he is. And to say Coote is as good as anyone is ridiculous. If you want to go off past performances, then he too as proved he's average with potential.

I rate Gordon highly, though. I think he's awesome.

Big Mick

Referee
Go look at the first 7 rounds last season before Cootes injury.

He was second to Boyd for tackle breaks and was very efficient in missed tackles given his size.

He has now added 10kg of muscle to his frame...allowing him to break more tackles and be even more effective in defensive and injecting himself into the line.

Coote has proven last season that he is a dynamic player. He just got injured.

This added weight will allow him to stay on the field much much longer.

Kemp on the other hand...was just rubbish in every game he played. He was playing for the Vulcans..not necessarily injured...Every Warriors fan wanted him gone. He added absolutely zero.

I realise he did well in 07...but that was also outside of Hodges who again...wont be there this season given he is injured.

A fantastic finisher yes...creating stuff on his own...fail.

Canard

Immortal
Dribbler

Funny how in this thread people are quoting backlines and not naming the 6 and 7.

But WOW! that is the weakest 1 to 5 the WOW! Broncos have fielded in their history.

I should know my club is the current NRL "benchmark" on week backlines.

Other than Izzy there are some big ? hanging over those guys.

adamkungl

Immortal
dribble dribble dribble spoon.

A serious question why do you hate the dragons so much??

Gaba's post had nothing to do with the Dragons, but I'll answer anyway.
I hate the Dragons because a lot of fans have an attitude that they are gods gift to Rugby League. Also, petty rivalries are fun. We all have them.

Big Pete

Referee
Dribbler.

Coote's as good as anyone

Jennings wipes the floor with Tonga in ALL facets.

Gordon smashes Williams in all facets...to say he is just solid is pure ignorance.

wow...i'm shaking in my boots against that backline.

Hoffman who is an ordinary fullback...Kemp who proved last season he is rubbish.

Teo can't tackle, Folau is the worst defensive centre in the competition and Michaels is on par with Purtell and Simmons.

How exactly is that backline better than Penrith?

No, Coote was just as valuable as Gallant was last season.

I will give you Jennings though, after reviewing my season guide he was superior. Wouldn't say by too much though.

And no, Gordon doesn't actually. Gordon is just a solid winger, nothing more nothing less. He's made to look good by the rest of your backline who at their very best are sub-par.

What does your backline even look like?

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Michael Gordon
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Adrian Purtell/Shane Elford/ Dave Simmons/Gumby #4?

Jennings aside, there isn't a lot to be too impressed with.

Combine that with a poor coach and an average pair of halves (thank god for Walshy hey otherwise I'd be taking it a step below average) and your backline really isn't that flash.

Cowboys on the other hand line up as...

1. Shannon Gallant (For the first 6 rounds, Bowen comes in after)
2. Obe Geia
3. Ash Graham
4. Will Tonga
5. John Williams

Gallant was just as handy as Coote last season.

Geia is being highly touted and could be the winger they've been looking for.

Graham is a gumby, but is superior to Tighe.

Tonga is a good all round player who has a lot of improvement left after years of injuries.

Williams is your solid wingmen in the Michael Gordon variety.

Combine that with a good coach, the inevitable return of Bowen and JT and I'd certainly say they're on par with Penrith.

By the by, you shouldn't pretend to know anything about the Broncos, your backline is completely different to most others.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Steve Michaels
4. Israel Folau
5. Jharal Yow Yeh

Is the favourite amongst coaching staff and all-round I'd take it over the Penrith line up given we've got a guy who scored 14 tries last season playing reggies, two highly touted reggies and an international on the sidelines.

Combine those players with one of the best halves in the competition (can't say anything on Henjak yet) and you've got yourself a superior backline.

With that said, I never bragged about the Broncos having the BEST backline. I'd say off the top of my head three teams have better backlines in Melbourne, Parramatta and Canterbury. Hell, I'd even consider the Raiders if their rookies can maintain their promise.

At the end of the day though, I stand by what I said, Penrith's backline is on par with the Cowboys.

Sleep

Juniors
Souths and the Raiders.

Souths, should win a few games on the back of their forward pack alone. It's crazy. As long as they fire it'll make life easy for their halves. I'd be surprised if they didn't make the top eight.

The Raiders have a ton of young guys who are insanely talented. Dugan, Croker and Vidot are all top notch. If Campese can get some consistency going they'll be dangerous as hell. They've got a good forward pack they just need to sort out #9. Tongue isn't the answer.

If I'm the Raiders I hire a hypnotist and have them all told they're playing at Canberra stadium every game. If they can string a few together away from home they'll cruise into the top eight.

Big Pete

Referee
I realise he did well in 07...but that was also outside of Hodges who again...wont be there this season given he is injured.

A fantastic finisher yes...creating stuff on his own...fail.

2008 actually and no his biggest combination was with Lockyer, hell he didn't even play outside Hodges for the majority of the season and usually had to rely on his own agility and speed to find his way over the try line.

I do hope you're right about Coote, the more dynamic players the better.

Big Pete

Referee
Stewart
Robertson
Matai
Lyon
Farrar/Williams

Foran
Hokko

Not too shab.

Ahh knew I was forgetting somebody.

Manly definately have one of the better backlines.

Halves will be a bit of a worry though. Patience and persistance is key.

adamkungl

Immortal
Carney
Minichiello
Graham
Williamson/Kenny-Dowall
Perrett

Pearce
Anasta

or some combination of the above, depending on what Smith settles on.

Raider_69

Post Whore

Im sorry but what?
:lol::lol:
Mate those 4 blokes are lucky to be in FG with Penrith, there isnt a side in comp those 4 blokes would get a start at aside from Penrith...

Blair, Tighe, Elford and Purts... good greifm three of those got punted by teams with average backlines because they werent good enough. That says enough about the standard you're looking at

Jennings, Coote and Gordon however are absolute stars.