What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest improvers in 2010

butchmcdick

Post Whore
heard some big wraps on will tupou who we signed from the broncos from memory?

Will Tupou Choose another player Ahern, Rohan Anderson, Scott Beale, Gerard Clinton, Joel Copley, Dale Folau, Israel Glenn, Alex Hala, David Hewitt, Tom Hodges, Justin Hoffman, Josh Hunt, Ben Kemp, Denan Kenny, Nick Lockyer, Darren Marsh, PJ McCullough, Andrew McGuire, Josh Michaels, Steve Mogg, Jessie Natusch, Tim Parker, Corey Setu, Lagi Sims, Ashton Spence, Michael Sweeny, Aaron Te'o, Ben Thaiday, Sam Tupou, Will Wallace, Peter Wapau, Palmer Williams, Guy Winterstein, Antonio Yow Yeh, Jharal

Tupou_Will_09NRLHlarge.jpg

DOB: 20/07/1990Height: 195cmWeight: 98kgPosition: Back RowRep. Honours: Junior Clubs: Brisbane SouthsPrev. Clubs: FG debut: Club Debut: Bio: With a background as a rugby union centre, Will is now attempting the switch to rugby league back row, while working in a sport and recreation traineeship.

http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiersh...erid/16920/season/2010/willtupou/default.aspx

If these stats are anything to go by he seems like a pretty big unit

Raider_69

Post Whore
Canberra will be a big improver over the next 2 years
lots of talented guys young guys, as long as we keep them, and Dugan is the only one not signed up beyond 2011. We'll be ok

As stated, our major issue is #7 and #9. Both will be addressed this year in one form or another. I have the up most confidence in Travis Waddell to emerge as a genuine NRL standard hooker this year, which fixes one issue. As for halfback, with McCrone and Herbert essentially fighting for their careers, i expect to see an improvement here this year too. But once the pressures off, i doubt they sustain any form to be a legitimate answer to our halfback question... This is an area we need to address next off season.

We've got a host of guys off contract next year, should be enough money there to have a crack at a good young halfback to compete with Sam Williams for 2011. I agree with who ever said it before, as good as McCrone and Herby have looked at times, neither is going to be good enough long term

that being said, we've not missed the 8 two years in a row for some 15 years or something, i dont expect that the change this year. We'll make the 8. Waddell and McCrone/Herberts development and form will dictate how much further we go.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Sorry for the double-post, and I doubt anyone really cares, but here's the best backline I can put together for the Cowboys once Bowen returns:

1. Gallant
2. ?
3. Luke O'Donnell
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Bowen
7. Thurston

Halves would be hands-down the best in the NRL.

O'Donnell is rock solid in defence and is surprisingly quick for a big man - not a classic centre, but I believe he'd get the job done.

Willie Tonga is great, has a very complete game if not blistering pace.

And John Williams is a better-than-average winger (although plenty of people disagree). Anyone who can play outside Ash Graham and still score tries and save tries has to be a good winger. Playing outside O'Donnell and getting quality ball from Thurston and Bowen, he'll be scoring plenty.

Only really leaves one spot to fill. Like I said, we really need a youngster to stand up.

Based on that backline (16th)

Bowen must play at fullback. Cowboys really have a problem with their backs if that is their best.

Canard

Immortal
Based on that backline (16th)

Bowen must play at fullback. Cowboys really have a problem with their backs if that is their best.

Tend to agree, Luke O'D wont be playing in the centre's unless its an absolute crisis situation (or to match up against a forward like Dave Taylor). Lets not create a weakness at the expense of one of our strengths (an 80min backrower).

As for saying Bowen at 6 would immediately be catapault the team to having the best halves in Rugby League, thats crazy talk.

Im amazed how every Cowboy has written Matty off, and propelled Gallant to superstar status before a ball has even been kicked.

I think playing Bowen and Gallant in the same backline would be a recipe for disaster, with an already undersized backline getting even smaller (bombs away if you were playing the Cowboys).

Big Pete

Referee
You've just gotta have faith in Neil Henry Canard. In his first year at the Raiders their defence improved a lot, but their attack was awful. In his second year, 2008, the Raiders played the most entertaining, attacking footy anyone has seen in years.

Wrong.

Their defence went backwards big time in 2007.

I agree with your sentiment, I believe Henry will play a big role in the Cowboys chances improving. If Tupou, Geia, Gallant or Malone can stand up the Cowboys will be among the contenders competing for a place in the top eight.

As it stands though come Round 1 your backline shapes up looking like...

1. Shannon Gallant
2. Obe Geia
3. Ashley Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams

It's only JUST better than the Sharks backline and I'd rate it on par with the Panthers backline.

Loudstrat

Coach
You've just gotta have faith in Neil Henry Canard. In his first year at the Raiders their defence improved a lot, but their attack was awful. In his second year, 2008, the Raiders played the most entertaining, attacking footy anyone has seen in years.
That is a big call from a Cowboys fan, remembering what you guys could do in the previous 4 years.

Still think the Cowpats shape up as the wooden spooners of the 3 banana republic clubs. It's half the squad that the Titans have got.

I'm wondering where Saints can go after last year.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think the big sliders will be parramatta, and i say this because i just cant see Hayne replicating his form from last year, i realise he's a better player than Campese but as a raiders fan i know generally when players hit a hot streak like that, once the seasons over, often they dont come back the following year on that same streak

if hayne does, then parra will again be a force, if he doesnt, then they'll slide, how far will depend on the likes of Mateo, Mortimer and Moi Moi

perverse

Referee
I think the big sliders will be parramatta, and i say this because i just cant see Hayne replicating his form from last year, i realise he's a better player than Campese but as a raiders fan i know generally when players hit a hot streak like that, once the seasons over, often they dont come back the following year on that same streak

if hayne does, then parra will again be a force, if he doesnt, then they'll slide, how far will depend on the likes of Mateo, Mortimer and Moi Moi

i agree, i can't see hayne coming back with the same potency - i think they will slide a bit (in regards to making the grand final... not so much the ladder). i've been a pretty vocal (and sometimes probably unfair) critic of campese for the same reason. purple patches of form happen all the time... and i think the league community as a whole is far too quick to declare players best in the world and lay down thousands of accolades. i mean 6 months at the top and you're the best... 12 months later its another bloke.

if hayne can stay in that sort of blistering form then the sky is the limit for parra. i'm not trying to discredit the likes of fui fui, hindmarsh, mortimer, mateo either, they are great players... but hayne was on another planet the second half of last year.

Loudstrat

Coach
It wasn'y all up to Hayne last year.

I'm happy with the addittions - an ageing front row improved with Poore and Shackleton, and an impotent Inu at No. 4 fixed by putting Tahu at 4 inside Inu at 5 - where he was electric.

Mateo - injury free -will see a different Eels side. Plus the likes of Reddy and the Keatings have become good FG material.

I'm confident.

perverse

Referee
true, parra have bought well up front.

parra may actually do better on the table, but worse in the finals this year. they rode a pretty big wave of emotion last year... i just think it's hard to make lightning like that strike twice. it was a perfect storm.

if they do make the GF i'd drop a few bob on them, though.

Broncos93

Juniors
Souths and Tigers are my pick for this year. Souths have got the best forward pack in the world at the moment. They're backs have proved when they get on a roll they can score points through Sutton's game. Merrit is also very valuable to have anywhere in the backline. Tigers, I just have a funny feeling they'll do exceptionally well. Tiquiri and Tuiaki on the wings, Marshall at pivot and Farah leading up front, I can see them being very exciting to watch through out the season.

Moffo

Referee
Sorry for the double-post, and I doubt anyone really cares, but here's the best backline I can put together for the Cowboys once Bowen returns:

1. Gallant
2. ?
3. Luke O'Donnell
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Bowen
7. Thurston

Halves would be hands-down the best in the NRL.

O'Donnell is rock solid in defence and is surprisingly quick for a big man - not a classic centre, but I believe he'd get the job done.

Willie Tonga is great, has a very complete game if not blistering pace.

And John Williams is a better-than-average winger (although plenty of people disagree). Anyone who can play outside Ash Graham and still score tries and save tries has to be a good winger. Playing outside O'Donnell and getting quality ball from Thurston and Bowen, he'll be scoring plenty.

Only really leaves one spot to fill. Like I said, we really need a youngster to stand up.

if you played that it would be the slowest 1-5 of all time....including some of the dogs teams of recent years :lol:

NAS

Juniors

you know I thought that too, Hayne just gave them all that x factor last year.......but then I remembered that Tahu's back as well. Inu's prime for a big year, Reddy's turned into a decent first grader, and Burt always was..

The real question over parramatta if you ask me is how hindmarsh will go this year. i genuinely think that he was a yard slower last year and without Lowrie who's importance to last years run cannot be understated, I wonder if Hindy has got one more year as the rock of the parramatta defence left in him. If yes then the rest of the forwards can concentrate on doing what they did last year. if not, then they may leak points and lose confidence............their defence last year was the foundation for what they did in attack.........

Big Mick

Referee
Wrong.

Their defence went backwards big time in 2007.

I agree with your sentiment, I believe Henry will play a big role in the Cowboys chances improving. If Tupou, Geia, Gallant or Malone can stand up the Cowboys will be among the contenders competing for a place in the top eight.

As it stands though come Round 1 your backline shapes up looking like...

1. Shannon Gallant
2. Obe Geia
3. Ashley Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams

It's only JUST better than the Sharks backline and I'd rate it on par with the Panthers backline.

Penrith backline dominates that backline.

Coote/Gordon/Jennings alone dominates that backline.

As a matter of fact...without Hodges...Broncos backline looks ordinary to say the least.

Big Pete

Referee
No they don't.

Coote's green.
Jennings is awesome in attack, average in defence. All-round he's AS good as Tonga who's inferior in attack but superior in defence.
Gordon is solid, just like John Williams.

The rest of your backline is made up of gumbies.