What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bravery

What is the greatest act of bravery on a RL field ever?

• Ray Higgs Paramatta 1976 - played GF with broken jaw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Loudstrat, you mean Ray Higgs who put his knees into the back of Mark Shulman in 1977? One of the more cowardly things done on the football field.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The boil has one thing over hayne in 2011... a NSW origin jersey.

Dugan >>>>>> the boil >>>>>>>> Hayne.

Snappy

Coach
Didnt Preston Campbell play half a game with a broken jaw ?

Also have memory in recent years of Ben Hannant in orgin playing on with a bad injury and coming up with a game saving tackle.

Loudstrat

Coach
It was pre-Origin so most of them wouldn't know he's a Queenslander.

And from Artie Beetson's home town too...
And Heathers. PLayed for Meningas old Brisbane club too - one of the few to have played for Australia while at that club too?

F*ck Queenslanders are dumb!!!!!!!!!!!

Loudstrat, you mean Ray Higgs who put his knees into the back of Mark Shulman in 1977? One of the more cowardly things done on the football field.
You were going so well - A NSWman picking the Queenslander.

But Shulman and knees?

The world only remembers Robert Stone from those games. Hannibal Lechter with a Red V. ;-)

Loudstrat

Coach
Phil Blake once played with mild chafing of the groin, and Mick Pobjie played the entire 89 GF with a runny nose - they are up there with Dugan the Brave!

Loudstrat

Coach
Well I hope our injury toll is light. Imagine the disaster if Dugan end up with severe dandruff and misses 6 games.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You were going so well - A NSWman picking the Queenslander.
Actually, us 'NSWmen' call ourselves New South Welshman. Get it right.

Loudstrat said:
But Shulman and knees?
You don't remember? Higgs went in with a cowardly act imo, and ended Shulman's career that day.

To Shulman's credit, he never once complained about the incident.

Loudstrat said:
The world only remembers Robert Stone from those games. Hannibal Lechter with a Red V. ;-)
As Ron Hilditch once posted, 'we were eaten alive that day'. But the match was there to be won, and of course he knew that 22-0 in the replay was hard to argue with.

Titanic

First Grade

No, I think he means the Alan McMahon (or was it Terry Randal) who put the knees into Qld half (1977) John Salter's back after Salter had scored.

Or in the mate v mate stakes how about Rocket Reddy (for the pretender Blues) kicking Nick Geiger (Qld) in the face in a scrum?

Ian Roberts... played his entire career with a stiffy.

Perhaps the post of the century ... and who could forget the day he belted Gary "Jimmy" Jack with his handbag?

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Ray Higgs couldnt run without sticking his tongue out.
Rex reminded us weekly ''he'll bite it off one day"

Loudstrat

Coach
And he never did! He was the forgotten Eel champion - toughest bastard we ever had.

It always amuses me that Sattlers broken jaw is the basis of a massive tale of heroism, when in that game the other Souths forwards were doing his work for him. Higgs played in a losing side - had to do the hard stuff himself with the smashed jaw.

Having said that, I don't think either of them ever had to suffer the debilitating pain of a pimple.

Still laughing at the dumb Queenslanders "Loudy - there's no Queenslanders". Dumb as a f*cking box of hammers :lol:

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, I think he means the Alan McMahon (or was it Terry Randal) who put the knees into Qld half (1977) John Salter's back after Salter had scored.

Or in the mate v mate stakes how about Rocket Reddy (for the pretender Blues) kicking Nick Geiger (Qld) in the face in a scrum?
Did either incident end the career of the recipient?

And as for picking a target, let's just say Higgs was punching well below his weight. And some people call him 'tough'. lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
THE Canberra Raiders have been hit by a boil outbreak for the second time in five years, with second-rower Jarrad Kennedy the latest player to be sidelined with the contagious infection.
Kennedy has a nasty boil on his upper thigh and has spent the past few days receiving treatment in a Canberra hospital.
The news comes just two weeks after teammate Joe Picker was quarantined and forced to miss the Raiders win at Newcastle after a boil developed into a serious golden staph infection.
Canberra have reminded their players to adhere to their strict hygiene protocols in an attempt to curb the problem before it sweeps through the squad.
In 2008, several Canberra players contracted the infection, and former winger Brett Kelly narrowly avoided having a finger amputated.
Raiders CEO Don Furner said club doctor Wilson Lo had asked health professionals to talk to the players to reinforce the importance of taking preventive measures. ''It's doing Wilson's head in,'' he said.
''He's constantly sending emails out and has spoken to the infectious diseases unit … all the players have done the nasal spray, which is the best way of eradicating it. We've introduced hospital-strength [antiseptic] soap and a clean linen service. We brought it in four years ago when we had them and have done it again this year.''

LINK

God-King Dean

Immortal
How is playing with a broken jaw braver than running on a broken ankle?

You don't need to use your jaw when you're playing.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've gone for a 30 minute run with a broken ankle. It honestly doesn't hurt at all. Not til you cool down anyway.

I remember Sattler saying his jaw didn't hurt at all during the GF. It wasn't til about a minute after the final siren that the pain kicked in.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Round 3, 2011.

Played on.

No he didn't. Pretty sure that is out the back of the ET stand at shark park when he busted his ankle.

Round 3, 2011 he played on with a partially torn peck. If that gets a mention so does Hilder, Taia and Fa'aoso who played on with decent injuries after Henry, Rogers and McDonnell were already on the sidelines.

I think that games goes down as one of the bravest team efforts of all time. To be within 8 points with 10min to go was astonishing.