What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Wouldn't that lend itself to jury bias? :?

Due to the high profile nature of this case was, they would have taken a lot of care selecting this jury.

Why are you so desperate for him to be guilty? What's really sad is, despite constantly insinuating that he was guilty I bet you never actually had any concerns for the girl. You just want to cut down the tall poppy to feed your hate for Stewart/Manly.

The people who actually heard the evidence took no time at all to come to the conclusion, and their actions show that they truely believe he is innocent and has been put through hell for no reason.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately Brett Stewart will have to deal with d*ckheads like you for the rest of his career. Most rational people seem to accept that it was all a farse and feel bad for the bloke, but there will always be a couple of d*ckheads in a crowd.

Garts

Bench
People believe what they want to believe and let their dislike of a team or player cloud their judgement. Some on here would still believe the intial reports from the paper that he crashed tackled the girl and had to be removed from her by neighbours, and all this whilst he was so drunk that he could barely walk. What was presented in court will not change their opinion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why are you so desperate for him to be guilty? What's really sad is, despite constantly insinuating that he was guilty I bet you never actually had any concerns for the girl. You just want to cut down the tall poppy to feed your hate for Stewart/Manly.

While I concede fully I hate Manly and have always disliked Stewart, there is no way I wanted to see him guilty (evidence - note a page or two back I actually took issue with someone who said they wanted him found guilty).

I simply asked a legitimate question - what you said indicates there may have been emotional bias toward the defendant by a jury member, isn't that cause for discharge?

I'm not questioning his innocence (despite your assertions that I want him to be guilty) - my experience with the legal system is that if a jury member shows demonstrable bias toward either side that he or she be polled for it and dismissed if necessary.

It's all a moot point, but just something I found odd in the sub-text of the case. I'm happy for Stewart and the NRL the matter is finally resolved and we can move on. I hope they don't dwell on it too much tonight either.

^_^

Juniors
Its actually very common to be emotionally effected as a jury member during a trial...they offer them counselling for big murder cases etc in which they are subjected to graphical evidence.

Jury bias would be if she was wearing a Manly jersey :sarcasm: but nice try

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
While I concede fully I hate Manly and have always disliked Stewart, there is no way I wanted to see him guilty (evidence - note a page or two back I actually took issue with someone who said they wanted him found guilty).

I simply asked a legitimate question - what you said indicates there may have been emotional bias toward the defendant by a jury member, isn't that cause for discharge?

I'm not questioning his innocence (despite your assertions that I want him to be guilty) - my experience with the legal system is that if a jury member shows demonstrable bias toward either side that he or she be polled for it and dismissed if necessary.

It's all a moot point, but just something I found odd in the sub-text of the case. I'm happy for Stewart and the NRL the matter is finally resolved and we can move on. I hope they don't dwell on it too much tonight either.

You are mistaking compassion with bias.

BunniesMan

Immortal

The more likely scenario is that their verdict led to them being emotionally supportive of Stewart. Not the other way around. I think they first came to the conclusion that he is innocent, they then felt empathy and compassion once they realised what an innocent man has been put through.

kmav23

Juniors
With a good Lawyer... ( he spent all his money) a good character references,.. a celebrity can get away with murder....o.j simpson in front of a jury

to_ddeath

Coach
lol Stewart jumping right back into the NSW No.1 Jersey. He's in the same position Minichiello was when he missed large chunks of the season

He'll be a good back up to Dugan, but he's not in the same class and never will be

Geez...here we go, the Cockbrain Waider Weetard is off again, creaming in his stained panties about his favourite mullet boy again. Stewart was an awesome FB, just needs time to recapture his old form & Duhgan is still yet to play a single origin game. You need a massive reality check princess.

T.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
With a good Lawyer... ( he spent all his money) a good character references,.. a celebrity can get away with murder....o.j simpson in front of a jury

The legal ramifications for killing someone as opposed to forcing a girl to snog you (as effectively charged) are significantly different. The fact the police were unable to get him convicted of the snog, is a prime example of why this case should never have got as far as it did. Good lawyer or not.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The more likely scenario is that their verdict led to them being emotionally supportive of Stewart. Not the other way around. I think they first came to the conclusion that he is innocent, they then felt empathy and compassion once they realised what an innocent man has been put through.

You are mistaking compassion with bias.

Its actually very common to be emotionally effected as a jury member during a trial...they offer them counselling for big murder cases etc in which they are subjected to graphical evidence.
Thanks for the straight-forward responses rather than attacks, appreciated.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors

Lionel Hutz could have got him off with the case (or lack there of) against him.

pants2.png

:lol:

how quickly people forget...

If he can return to his previous form he's better than Dugan. Why? he's produced top quality form over several seasons , not just one.

Dugans great , dont get me wrong. But true champions produce form over several seasons , until Dugan has done this you cant seriously suggest he's in another class than stewart.

I haven't forgotten. He merely leeched of players like Orford. He is a great try scorer & very good support player, but he isn't in the same class as Slater and Dugan

BunniesMan

Immortal
I haven't forgotten. He merely leeched of players like Orford. He is a great try scorer & very good support player, but he isn't in the same class as Slater and Dugan

And Slater hasn't leeched of the great players around him? If the criteria to be origin fullback is to make things happen for yourself then Hayne should get it hands down. You'll find most great fullbacks feed of good players upfront. Whether it be a good forward pack or good halves.

thorson1987

Coach

Please dont mention dugan in the same capacity as Slater. The only player close to Slater is/was Stewart in his prime. And i hope for NSW sake that he can get back there.