What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Thread

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hodges ready to fire for Broncos in NRL
Laine Clark
January 3, 2012 - 3:19PM
AAP

A Broncos training session without Darren Lockyer might still take some getting used to.
But Brisbane's six representative stars witnessed another rare sight when they returned to Broncos duty on Tuesday - Justin Hodges in full flight at pre-season training.
And it seems Broncos fans will get to see a lot more of Hodges in 2012 after the injury-plagued centre completes his first full pre-season in years.
Advertisement: Story continues below Indeed, Hodges is so happy with his progress he might yet tinker with a plan to regularly rest throughout the upcoming season.
Back-related hamstring injuries ensured Hodges endured a stop-start 2011, prompting a plan to rest every eight to 10 games this season.
However, Hodges was confident of an extended run in 2012, possibly starting with an All Stars debut in February.
"It's been four or five years since I have done a full pre-season," Hodges said on the Broncos website.
"It is going to be different having some fitness behind me.
"I am looking forward to a good year where I can stay on the park for the full season."
Hodges admits there was a time when he could have been accused of not feeling guilty about missing a training session.
But the 29-year-old reckons he now can't get enough of them as he tries to eke out as many games as he can from his sometimes fragile frame.
"Every year it gets harder," Hodges said.
"This is something I wanted to do. I really wanted to get the best out of my pre-season.
"I have been pushed the hardest I have been for a long time.
"Now I can build on top of that and hopefully not get any injuries."
Broncos captain Sam Thaiday was a member of the contingent that returned to training following November's Four Nations campaign in the UK.
The others were Corey Parker, Jharal Yow Yeh (both Australia), Jack Reed (England), Gerard Beale and Alex Glenn (both New Zealand).
Newlywed Thaiday had a lot to get his head around after taking over the captaincy from the retired Lockyer.
"Honeymoon was great, didn't want to come back and do that," he said.
Asked about attending a Broncos session without Lockyer, Thaiday laughed: "It's good to see he's not here and making us all look as bad as we really are.
"I'm glad he's gone."
LINK lol

Big Pete

Referee
Congratulation to Jack Reed on making the All-Star team.

Here were the other players who were selected...

The 2012 NRL All Stars team for the 2012 Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game on February 4 at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast is:
Josh Dugan (Canberra Raiders)
Jason Nightingale* (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Jack Reed* (Brisbane Broncos)
Michael Jennings (Penrith Panthers)
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)
Benji Marshall - Captain (Wests Tigers) #
Cooper Cronk* (Melbourne Storm)
Kade Snowden* (Newcastle Knights)
Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm) #
Luke Bailey (Gold Coast Titans)
Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
David Taylor (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

Interchange:

Adam Blair (Wests Tigers)
Frank Pritchard* (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves* (Sydney Roosters)
Tony Williams* (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Brent Tate* (North Queensland Cowboys)

Coach's Selections:
Luke Lewis* (Penrith Panthers)
Ben Hornby* (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Source: http://www.nrl.com/nrl-all-stars-team-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/65674/default.aspx

beads6

First Grade
Ben Hornby.. I don't get what all the fuss is about. He must be the worlds best trainer.

user_nat

Coach
I don't have a problem with Hornby as a player, but I don't like the selection of someone from outside the top 64 fan chosen players. Seems to conflict with the entire point of it being a public vote.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't mind the coach having a player or two in the side. It get annoying though when a player gets injured and they're replaced with some random nuffy.

Big Pete

Referee
If Big Dane was around he'd agree with ya PWA - he hates those Melbourne players.

Even at the height of my 'f**k Melbourne' phase I always remember being a fan of Cronk - especially against Cronulla in the prelim when he told Anthony Quinn to STFU. Guy deserves a Dally M and a Golden Boot just for that. Also he's one of the few guys that I think if the club can land should definitely do so. Even if he's 40.

AuDragon

Juniors
Apparently his agent wants 850k a year to get him out of Melbourne.
It's a huge amount of money, but with the new TV deal and well sorted thrid party deals, it might be doable, especially given the fact we could still get 4-5 years out of him...

But, like the Inglis affair has shown, we might just uncover a gem in Norman and/or Hunt, or who knows where.

We, afterall, are the Broncos!

Big Pete

Referee
Squad vs. Norths Trial has been named...

1. Nathanael Barnes
2. Jarrod Watson
3. Paul Ivan
4. Rhett Webster
5. Jeriah Goodrich
6. Jordan Kahu
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Billy Brittain
10. Matt Smith
11. Ajuma Adams
12. Dan Wallace
13. Che Fa'alafi

Bench
Josh Seage
Caleb Timu
Tom Geraghty
Bradon Lee
Aaron Rockley
Levi Aumua
Tristian Lumley
Jayden Sheck

Coach: Kurt Richards

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...lace-at-halfback/story-e6frep5x-1226252767213

A couple of seniors helping the NYC boys out.

Smiley

Bench
I'd pass on Cronk. Give Wallace a year to show what he can do without Lockyer.

His displays without Lockyer last year during origin were quite good. I feel he was restricted playing next to Lockyer. This year he will have more freedom in his game and not just required to get Lockyer quick early ball. The short ball to Glenn got us a few tries last year.

If he shows nothing I would offer him a 1 year contract and go after Cherry-Evans for 2014.

Mr Fourex

Bench

His displays without Lockyer last year during origin were quite good. I feel he was restricted playing next to Lockyer. This year he will have more freedom in his game and not just required to get Lockyer quick early ball. The short ball to Glenn got us a few tries last year.

If he shows nothing I would offer him a 1 year contract and go after Cherry-Evans for 2014.

I'd still like to see a 6. Wallace & a 7. Hunt combo to start the season off. If Hunt can get more quality game time

ball in hand

he'll blossom.

Peter Wallace OTOH....... is withering & dieing. 2012 should be the make or break season for him. In some regards he is holding back Corey Norman

I'd like to see him play more (Norman) ......now that he appears to be bulking up a little,

before having to let go, most likely, a couple of quality players to be able to afford DCE

isaiah

Bench
Squad vs. Norths Trial has been named...

1. Nathanael Barnes
2. Jarrod Watson
3. Paul Ivan
4. Rhett Webster
5. Jeriah Goodrich
6. Jordan Kahu
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Billy Brittain
10. Matt Smith
11. Ajuma Adams
12. Dan Wallace
13. Che Fa'alafi

Bench
Josh Seage
Caleb Timu
Tom Geraghty
Bradon Lee
Aaron Rockley
Levi Aumua
Tristian Lumley
Jayden Sheck

Coach: Kurt Richards

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...lace-at-halfback/story-e6frep5x-1226252767213

A couple of seniors helping the NYC boys out.
i am going to see this

gUt

Coach
Should be going to the Cowboys trial at Dolphin Oval. One of the last things I did with my grandad was to go with him, my dad and my bro to see the Brisbane v Redcliffe trial. Was a great day, thousands of people were there.

gUt

Coach

I agree with this but I sure wouldn't be sad to see Cronk playing for the Broncos.

Big Pete

Referee
David Hala injured his ankle at training yesterday and could miss 8 weeks of the NRL season.

Such a shame for Dave who's apparently in peak physical condition.