What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Thread

Big Pete

Referee
It's going to be an interesting year.

Traditionally, when a club loses one of it's greats they've understandably struggled, no matter how they've approached the season. However, I don't think they're truly comparable to us. Say with Newcastle, Joey's departure coincided with a change of culture. Sydney tried to buy themselves out of trouble and failed miserably and Daley bowed out with a few experienced players in toe.

Meanwhile Locky leaves a Broncos side that remains largely unchanged, that's played together since the Toyota Cup and will be looking to enter the new phase. While things remain uncertain and I'm sure the initial teething stages will be tough I feel we're better equipped than those aforementioned sides.

Obviously all eyes will be on Norman, Hunt and Wallace but I hope Hook looks to improve our attack this year. I've got no problem with him focussing on our defence during his first year as that's what all the great premiership sides in the modern era have built their success on (yes even the West Tigers despite the popular myth) but if we want to be that little bit better we can't rely on cross field kicks to Reed and Yow Yeh to score tries. There just isn't enough points there.

That's why I think the likes of Gagai will need to step up. No doubt Dane has talent, just doesn't have the strength at the moment .

I think we look great in the forwards and I can see us building our game around them. Hopefully they can keep up the good work and the likes of Hannant can step it up a bit. If they can gives our halves the opportunities than I believe the loss of Locky won't be that big after all.

My early predictions: Broncos to be contenders, but not favourites. Top 6 finish with 2013 being our year.

blaza88z

Coach
Heavy rumors on RLeague.com that the Bronco's are about to make a big big signing

Hancock (forum poster) made this known a few weeks ago and I read there often, he's well and truly in the know with what goes on at Red Hill HQ.

Goddy

Juniors
Heavy rumors on RLeague.com that the Bronco's are about to make a big big signing

Hancock (forum poster) made this known a few weeks ago and I read there often, he's well and truly in the know with what goes on at Red Hill HQ.

Did he give any indication as to who that is?

EDIT; Nevermind, I found out myself.

Heavy rumors are currently circulating the web that the Broncos have Sonny Bill Williams firmly in their sights.

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
True, but i dont see Copely with anything but perhaps size. I have no confidence in him....he reminds me of another David Howell

Goddy

Juniors
Heavy rumors are currently circulating the web that the Broncos have Sonny Bill Williams firmly in their sights.

Big Pete

Referee
'Spose time will tell.

Not like it'll be the end of the world if he fails either. Plenty of good young backline talent coming through at the moment at the Broncs.

Mr Fourex

Bench

Hancock's a tool.......

beads6

First Grade
I am very Bullish about 2012. Obviously our weakness will be in the halves but I believe Hook has a game plan that will make us less reliant on our halves. Macca will have a huge year in 2012 as will Hoffman at fullback.

beads6

First Grade

BRONCOS chief executive Paul White last night backed coach Anthony Griffin to deliver a premiership with the present crop of players. With the exception of the return of veteran Test prop Petero Civoniceva, the Broncos have no big-name signings for next season, despite the retirement of skipper Darren Lockyer.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ig-name-signings/story-e6frep5x-1226146032723

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
1. Hoffman
2. Beale
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Hunt/Norman
7. Wallace
8. Civo
9.MacC
10. Hannant
11.Glen
12.Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillet
15. Teo
16. That under 20s hooker
17. Hala

We sure don't have issues in the forward line.

Does Josh McGuire not get a run? It would be a shame to see Hala not get more time in the team, but who else drops out? No problem with Anderson missing a spot though.

You're right about the forwards being set for next year. With that forward pack and the young talent in the back line, all we need is for either Hunt or Norman to form just a solid combo with Wallace or McC. Nothing special is needed, just the ability to put either a forward or a back in space with the ball. Pre-season will be huge for this team.

broncos2010

Juniors
How about cooper from union ? I think he would be just as good as marshall. Like I said we need to get a half that can lead us around and I dont think norman or hunt can step in and wallace can tackle but that's about it.

AceAv

Juniors
WTF would the Broncs do with mr shoulder charge/team dogging SBW? -this is a joke rumour IMO!

I have hated Costley errors Copley all year and Friday nights game proved he isn't ready for 1st Grade! But we had to put someone on the wing ;/.

Sad 2011 is all over and 2012 is months & months away -but I am already stroking the chin over our next lineup

1. Hoffman -God I hope we get him for every game. Made so much difference bringing the ball back and always rock solid in both defense and attack
2. Beale -Though I think this kid has flare, it is coming out slowly and was a great replacement FB
3. Reed -One of my favourite players and has nullified any scars I had from the GI dogging
4. Hodges -Amazing abilities and let's hope he keeps fit
5. Yow Yeh -Without a doubt one of the best wingers in the comp
6. Wallace -I think he may do a little better at 5/8 or Gillette
7. Hunt/Norman -I got a feeling we are gonna sign another half back here tho, anyone else?
8. McGuire -Oh god......YES!!
9. McCollough -I seriously think he copied Cameron Smiths style later in the season. WD
10. Petro -Great forward, knows the middle like a fiddle!
11. Glenn -Man this guy knows how to run straight and hard!
12. Thaiday -I think we are going to see the next level of Thaiday in 2012 :O?!
13. Parker -Hit, spin & offload -best in the biz -please sharpen up the kicking game more...

14. Gillette (if not at 5/8) otherwise Capwell, Hunt, Baptiste?
15. Teo -Brilliant impact player and can play wing, centre, 2d row, lock u name it!
16. Hannant -I think he will bring quality from the bench
17. Hala -I love this guys impact and he should get more game time

Reserves for injury/origin
18. Anderson -Pretty lackluster and loves to drop balls and crucial moments...
19. Baptiste -I assume he won't get much games again unfortunately -too small??
20. Gaiguy -I hope he gets some more games this year also... as long as he stays with Brisbane more will come from this kid.

There's a few more to add obviously. But as AuDragon said: It's about how well we go in the halves and it may take a whole year to get the combo right -Go Broncos 2013!!

Mr Fourex

Bench
He's a Centre usually. I've never seen him play in the Halves.

Uhmmm.......yeah. I was being facetious. Sorry.

Thought SBW days as a centre were behind him.......more a back rower now days aint he?

Back rowers seem to be plentiful at Brisbane at the moment.