What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos 2012 Thread

IBA

Juniors
Between Capewell, Norman and Hunt I'm sure we have a viable option that a preseason will work out. I see no problem with Wallace. Sure he isn't a highlights package footballer but I think he is very, very good for the full 80 minutes. Better than most. Our left side looked 2000% better than our right side on Friday and his kicking game definately suffered with him being the only option and been an obvious target for defence. I love him taking on the line, he drags in the 2nd defender so often and gets that lovely short ball to Glenn or a great ball back to the fullback. If there was a decent winger on the left, I promise you his little grubber would have worked so many times. If Beale is staying out there, they need to get that too click... He is always in the first 2 to arrive on a kick chase and is one of the toughest halves I've seen in a while. I know he doesn't have a highlights reel like some other players but there is so much more to a good half back than 20 seconds of great footage every other week.

Gillett is not a number 6. He doesn't have the timing or passing for it. Fantastic footballer, just not a number 6.

It's too hard to judge next year on Friday. We were very flat from the St. George win and obviously the the confidence without Locky was down, it really took the wind out of our sails. Our season was built on defence and discipline, both of which were down.

All that being said, we still put 3 tries on the probable premiers with a further couple disallowed. This was a flat team, with a couple of rough ref calls, a very unfortunate start and a 2nd rower in the number 6 jersey. I thought their courage to play to the end was outstanding, but they just didn't have it in them. Full credit to Manly, they were great.

Kind of went around in circles, but the base of the team is solid. Super solid. We find even a semi decent half and we'll have no troubles making the 8, we get someone who really clicks, we could have the start of a real dynasty here...

EDIT: No thanks SBW, you can f**k right off :)

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I'm really proud of the boys. We played our GF last week and were astonishing.

This

I always watch thow teams react in finals games after the siren and i really didnt like what i saw from the broncos. i know there was a lot of emotion 'last game' and all but they looked at the end of that game as though they had just played the gf.

After quite a number of big matches in the backend of the season the team wasnt able to sustain the intensity, i really don't think it mattered whetehr locky was there the linespeed and damaging forward runs werent there.

I dont think our forwards stood up like they ahd previously, and the attack was so disorganised it wasnt funny. and whilst locky would have helped he's been missing several tiems this eyar and the attack hasnt looked as bad. I think we had an off night, came up against a side which played almost the perfect 1st half of footy and just werent swicthed on from the opening

The team came back well and kept trying even when the game was over. i think they did well to restrict manly's points cos at one stage i thought manly were gonna hit 50 they way they were playing.

2012 - new structures, more experience for the younger players, a new captain in sam, a lot of experience in petero. hopefully a fit hodges.

we'll be poised for a good shot at it in 2012. Realistically if you said at the satrt of the year we'd finish 3rd after 26 rounds you'd be happy. if you said we'd be one game from the GF you'd be happy.

broncos2010

Juniors
Please please why can we not have a dig at carney even on minimal contract payments :( if he works out he works out if not then nothing.

We are just wasting our time on hunt and norman they wont win us a premiership I think :(

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Please please why can we not have a dig at carney even on minimal contract payments :( if he works out he works out if not then nothing.

or he can destabilise the club like he did this eyar with the roosters and f**k up our season on minimum wage

broncos2010

Juniors
It's worth the risk , lets face it with wallace and norman leading the ship we wont be doing much for next 1-2 seasons at least.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
It's worth the risk , lets face it with wallace and norman leading the ship we wont be doing much for next 1-2 seasons at least.

no it's not worth the risk. i'd rather the club spend time rebuilding and develop a decent culture with decent players both on and off the field rather than short term success which leaves bigger problems down the track.

i think Wallace will really step up next year if for no other reason than he has to. we don't even know who's going to partner him in the halves yet. A fit Hodges and a more experienced Reed will give us a great centre combination, Beale and Glenn will hopefully come back from the tour even better players. Hoffman is going to be a f**king superstar and we still have other youngsters liek gagai, copely and moylan to develop. we don't need a disruptive dumbarse to f**k that up.

Mr Fourex

Bench
i think Wallace will really step up next year if for no other reason than he has to.

That's the thing with Wallace.......he HAS already "had" to

and he hasn't.

(2010 latter half of the season........preliminary final against manly 2011.

Nothing)

At this stage I'm prepared to give him the BOTD for next year at least. If he doesn't perform outside his normal "passenger" role, we should f*ck him off.

I'm in two minds with Carney. Everyone knows he had a stellar 2010 season when he was focused on proving his worth........proving that he is a top class footballer who can keep his shit togther for more than 1 week at a time. This year.......well. Enough said.

The Roosters are a shit club and along with Brian Smith don't know how to handle their players properly. Brisbane could/would be a much more professional and disciplined outfit for him to be a part of.

I wouldn't scream if we gave him a 1 yr contract....based on a zero tolerance policy. One f*ck up and your history Todd, end of story.

AuDragon

Juniors
I think I would scream if I saw Carney wearing the Broncos no. 6. Jerseys don't get more sacred than that one, seriously!

Wallace hasn't had a chance to gel with anyone in the halves bar Lockyer, and granted year 2010 was below par, but let's see what he does with a bit of routine with another halve next to him...

I still reckon that Norman is the best suited halve to pair Wallace, but Hook will need to make sure he toughens up to survive in the NRL.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think we all forget wallace's efforts during origin when locky wasnt there. we won a lot of games or were very competitive and a lot of that ahs to do with wallace. he isnt a flashy player who'll stand out like benji or thruston but he goes well.

the preliminary final against manly the whole team was flat, thats not down to the halfback. the way the boys were out there it wouldnt have amde any difference if locky was fully fit. out forwards got rolled and we struggled to get into the game

broncos2010

Juniors
I love it how some of you guys are living in some sort of dream world and are expecting wallace to step up. We have watched him time over and over again that he can not do that job , yes he can tackle all day but he does not have the passing game , vision or the kicking game to be our primary play maker he is a good support play maker at best.

Just like the last game of the season he needed to step up and did nothing our best kick came from a second rower lol.

I am not being negative but boys lets face he is not going to win us a premiership and I very much believe either is hunt or norman. Next year will be a very long year for us.

We may have the backs and the forwards but without the halves we have nothing.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I love it how some of you guys are living in some sort of dream world and are expecting wallace to step up. We have watched him time over and over again that he can not do that job , yes he can tackle all day but he does not have the passing game , vision or the kicking game to be our primary play maker he is a good support play maker at best.

Just like the last game of the season he needed to step up and did nothing our best kick came from a second rower lol.

I am not being negative but boys lets face he is not going to win us a premiership and I very much believe either is hunt or norman. Next year will be a very long year for us.

We may have the backs and the forwards but without the halves we have nothing.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that we have never had an off season for our halves to jell (not including Lockyer) as the 2 main play makers. Give them time to adapt, you can't expect it to happen over night.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think Broncos2010 and BF both have valid points.

I tend to lean towards Broncos2010 as in general what I've seen Wallace does lack creativity, often he is caught (smashed) with the ball not knowing what to do. I don't know if any amount of 'off-seasons' can fix this.

But I hope the Broncos stick with him in the side, I like the guy. He will always give you 110%. We just need to recruit someone with a bit of creativity, hopefully its Norman, or perhaps someone outside the system.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I can wait until DCE's contract is finished at Manly.......2013 season's end.

Until then, I guess anything could happen with Norman, Hunt and Capewell.

I think we've seen the best of Peter Wallace

a long time ago.

Big Pete

Referee
Wallace put in a lot of better kicks than Gillett's dinky little chip to Yow Yeh which Jharal made look better than what it was. From what I could see, Wallace just had too many responsibilities and with somebody of Gillett's inexperience couldn't do it all.

Sick of how people underrate our juniors, I recall Prince didn't look all that flash playing under our Origin halves and he turned out to be an International Premiership Winning Halfback. Both Hunt and Norman have shown potential in and out of first grade and to start forming a wish-list for halfbacks who were essentially at their level not too long ago is silly. Let's see what they can offer before we start becoming like the Bulldogs.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah BP our juniors deserve a chance. And if hooks think they can do the job then its hard to argue with him given the success/good decisions he had this year.

But Corey Norman (looks as tho he will get first crack at this stage) does concern me a little. Why hasn't he made the under 20s Aus team? This was his 3rd season in NYC, yes? He should absolutely be tearing them to shreds at this stage. It could be players around him aren't helping out much or the fact that the Broncos missed out on finals, probably the latter.

Big Pete

Referee
While you'd think he'd be an automatic selection - I've got to say he's really unlucky. Selectors went with Townsend, who basically got to play first grade because with Kelly injured it was between him, Porter or Smith essentially meaning he got more time in first grade to shine and didn't have the instability Norman did who was in and out of first grade and at times didn't even know if he was playing QCup or NYC.

Put it this way, the selectors chose a player who played 2 or 3 games all season over the competitions best hooker.