What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos sack coach Ivan Henjak

Red Bear

Referee
Being serious for a sec, from a Brisbane point of view you would hope the reports of player revolt are bullsh*t, the last thing you want is the club to become another Nth Qld, where player power seems to rule, they get the coach they want/shun the guy who tells it how it is, end up with rubbish like Henry and just become an onfield disgrace. The continual high performance of Brisbane was (partly) down to having such a good coaching culture in place - no one f**ked with Bennett, essentially, and he had control over the club (and gained respect).

BDGS

Bench
Being serious for a sec, from a Brisbane point of view you would hope the reports of player revolt are bullsh*t, the last thing you want is the club to become another Nth Qld, where player power seems to rule, they get the coach they want/shun the guy who tells it how it is, end up with rubbish like Henry and just become an onfield disgrace. The continual high performance of Brisbane was (partly) down to having such a good coaching culture in place - no one f**ked with Bennett, essentially, and he had control over the club (and gained respect).

It's also bad news for Brisbane2 NRL bid. If the Broncos are in some kind of crisis, would the NRL really want to expand into an area where the only current club is having difficulties? Or would the NRL want to sort the Broncos out first?

charlie frith

Juniors
Lockyer should stfu and support his coach... even if he doesn't like him. The season is about to start ffs.

They had their performance review, elected to keep Henjak (which was the right decision)... so why pull a stunt like this now?

That place must be rotten in the back office. No wonder Bennet was trying to get out for years.

The only thing you could think of is a total relationship break down, telling each other to **** off and the rest of it and they agree to call it quits as it's not working. But why all the secrecy..

Did someone root another dog?[/QUOTE

The Broncs have imploded. They're cannibalising each other. In for another sh*t year. Who will that arrogant CEO and his Board blame next!

Quigs

Immortal
The Donkeys have a track record of playing down problems within the club or incidents involving players.

And the media in Brissie go along with it week in and week out. They are lead like dogs on walkies.

Perhaps some good investigative journalism would go down well here, but I can't think of any of the current imposters that call themselves journoes that could or would be game enough to do the job.

Monkey see Monkey do.

Why would a bloke just accept three months pay when his contracts has two years to run.... I don't know, you tell me.

Hooch

Juniors
Looks that way. It's a massive statement for the chairman to resign over it.

Still can't figure out what they've got over Henjak to run him out and keep him quiet. I suspect he may simply have tired of being constantly undermined.

Who cares what the f**king players think! The players are never going to rate a rookie head coach pulling a club through a bad slump. Which he did admirably.

The pressure he was under last year was absolutely ridiculous considering the performances he got out of the team, I thought he handled it very well considering he was obviously pretty well isolated and had every man and his dog gunning for him.

If a coach isn't backed by his ceo he's facing an uphill battle at best... this White character obviously couldn't wait to put the knife in his back as soon he got power.. even if it's to the detriment of the club. Pathetic.

Quigs

Immortal
Did they have a bonga bonga party. Hope the film is released soon.

If it's good enough for the Italian Prime Minister then its good enough for my donkeys.

SoftSydney

Juniors

Makes sense to me, I think a lot of this rests on Lockys shoulders he should have backed his coach

Best of luck Broncos, you guys have created an amazing club which had one of the games best dynastys. Their getting rid of a few people and it wouldn't suprise me to see Wayne back there at some point in the future in some sort of roll. They have a strong culture and diehard fans. They will be alright!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Darren Lockyer has rejected claims a reported falling out with Ivan Henjak played a key part in Brisbane's decision to axe their coach this week.
Henjak vetoed Lockyer's plea to let him return from a bad rib injury to play against Canberra last September when Brisbane need to win to have a shot at making the NRL finals.
But Lockyer said today the pair had not fallen out over their disagreement.
Advertisement: Story continues below
"That's not true," said Lockyer after Anthony Griffin made his first appearance in the role of head coach at the club's Red Hill headquarters.
"I know there are some rumours going around that I had a falling out with Ivan but that wasn't the case.
"We had a good relationship but at times last year when we were going through a pretty bad trot I think everyone was down a bit.
"But Ivan and I had a good relationship and there was never a falling out."
Lockyer said he and the players were caught by surprise by the Henjak bombshell late on Monday.
"It all happened so quickly and yeah, it was a bit of surprise.
"But a decision's been made we need to move on with things."
Asked if he thought it was unusual situation for a coach to be dropped before a team had played a game he said: "At the Broncos it's not a regular thing.
"I'm not used to it but we can't change the decision, it's been made.
"Broncos fans may be a little bit worried now, but we as players just have to deal with it and let them know we're behind the new coach."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-in-henjak-axing-lockyer-20110222-1b37b.html

AuDragon

Juniors
Best of luck Broncos, you guys have created an amazing club which had one of the games best dynastys. Their getting rid of a few people and it wouldn't suprise me to see Wayne back there at some point in the future in some sort of roll. They have a strong culture and diehard fans. They will be alright!
If anything, this definitely threw a spanner in the works of the 2nd Brisbane bid, the only one who can be a serious threat to the return of the Bears... ;-)

Henjak's review at the end of 2010 was already damning and his KPI's probably didn't improve in the meanwhile.
He was a leader without the respect of his men, and as such, failed. It's as simple as that.
Despite my dislike of the timing, I fully support this decision by the board, and believe Griffin will get much more out of his players group than Henjak ever would. He may be a rookie coach in the NRL, but otherwise his career so far is extremely encouraging. Good luck to him!

And welcome back Benny! :p:sarcasm:

Canard

Immortal

The way the sacking has been handled is very Cowboysish also (i.e. rank amatuer, bush league stuff), to sack a coach after two trial games, and with weeks to go is pure Graham Murray in 2008 all over again (he was told he would not be re-hired in 2009 with weeks to go til Round 1 08, than after about 6 rounds he quit)

The SMH article this afternoon mentioned, that a club had made an inquiry about Griffin as a mid season replacement for there coach if they were to sack him mid-season. If this is true, its OBVIOUS who this was the Cowboys.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What could entice Bennett to stay at the dragons

Bennett hasnt won 3 grand finals in a row with the same club.

The dragons are in the better position then any other team in the comp for Bennett to do that.

No club will ever win three in a row unless they scrap the salary cap.

I doubt any club will even win 2 in a row ever again. Not even Melbourne could do it with a much better roster than everyone else.

Edit: Looking back, a couple of teams have appeared in three straight grand finals since 1986, and usually lost two of them:

Raiders 2/3 (1989-1991)
Sea Eagles 1/3 ('95-'97)
Roosters 1/3 ('02-'04)
Storm 2/4 ('06-'09)

Last edited:

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Somerville wouldn't have quit if this was all down to something Henjak had done, and the Broncos had no need to sack Henjak at all even if they had Bennett signed and sealed for next season. They could have let Henjak go through the year (quite possibly without even telling him) and then sack him at the end of the season.

Loudstrat

Coach
Despite my dislike of the timing, I fully support this decision by the board, and believe Griffin will get much more out of his players group than Henjak ever would.
Meaning you reckon Brisbane will make the grand final? Because Henjak got a preliminary final out of them.

Mr Spock!

Referee
There is a bigger challenge, North Queensland. We dream of the "success" that the Sharks have had in the last 20 years.

Since 95 the Sharks have made the finals, what 10 times? We have made it 3 times.

If he wanted a real challenge and he was passionate about helping League in a heartland area the Cowboys would be the way to go..
Luxury! I wish my club was as successful. Try 1 final game in 20 years or 1 finals win in 40 years. You are truly spoilt!

Gaba

First Grade
No club will ever win three in a row unless they scrap the salary cap.

I doubt any club will even win 2 in a row ever again. Not even Melbourne could do it with a much better roster than everyone else.

Edit: Looking back, a couple of teams have appeared in three straight grand finals since 1986, and usually lost two of them:

Raiders 2/3 (1989-1991)
Sea Eagles 1/3 ('95-'97)
Roosters 1/3 ('02-'04)
Storm 2/4 ('06-'09)

that's right i agree it is hard for a team to win 2 in a row, but one advantage the dragons have is they have depth in the club.Particular if the dragons can win it again this year
if Bennett feels the dragons could do it, that may entice him to stay at the dragons to see if the dragons can be the first club in a long time to make it 3 wins in a row.

Last edited:

badav

Bench
I still can't think of any reasons to support this decision. The timing was terrible, and i don't buy into this post season review garbage. The review was completed 2 months ago.

Ivan Henjak has been questioned in the media throughout all of last year and was backed by Bruno Cullen every time, who was on the board when he was sacked.

I think he deserved the 2011 season to rectify some of the deficiences identified in the post season review process