What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys match thread *Spoilers*

strewth_mate

Bench
It may not show until later, but in todays game our forwards did not look like they needed any inspiration from webcke. Petero provided.

Though Petero AND Webcke used to provide, I wouldn't really think there isn't something missing there. It's not as simple as that, granted, because there's some very good forwards that can take his place, but I don't think it's going to be as simple in the long run as, say, giving Carlaw the number 8, I don't really rate him as a prop.

It's not a case of replacing Webcke, because that's a daunting thought, but it can't come down to Petero providing the hard work, because if he is out for an extended period, I feel it'll really show. Especially with Parker in doubt now.

JW

Coach
miccle said:
Dane Webcke not far away tonight.

Easily the best we've seen from him in four years.

You're not wrong, and about bloody time too.

Dane Webcke in for Jane Carlaw.

Hope it stays that way.

Ghoulies

Bench
miccle said:
Dane Webcke not far away tonight.

Easily the best we've seen from him in four years.
He looked to run with plenty of venom, but I don't think we're seeing enough quantity from him.

He should be aiming to crack triple digits in metres gained as one of our first choice props.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
Im just really worried that parker now will be definately be out for atleast a month and with him out and lockyer kicking the goals..... :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Also how do we rotate and replace parker?? Sure carlaw has brought his game nearly up to the standard to where it was in 2001, but surely parker will be sorely missed.

strewth_mate

Bench
After the chain of huge tackles the broncos made in the 1st half, Smith looks frozen and wanted nothing of the ball in his hands. Looks like he is the Perry of cowboys, a little bit better in attack, but definately worse in defense.

Looked to me, at least on the tele, that he was more concerned with ordering everyone around instead of getting his hands dirty. Probably overwhelmed him a bit then when they ran nippy guys at him. It shouldn't be the case for long, I think the Cowboys will benefit from him just being there. Part of me thinks that they might not have been as tight as they were tonight, but again, I was only watching from the armchair.

In attack though, having a guy like Smith come into a team which has already established its core playmakers in Thurston, Bowen and even Payne, to great effect, it's not necessarily going to be instantaneous that he has an effect in structuring their attack. I would have liked to see him get his hands on the ball more, but in the end he touched it as much as Hunt.

Shorty

Staff member
Was an awesome game,the atmosphere was incredible.
Both teams appeared a bit rusty and there was a lot of errors but still it was great.
Smith did great,I'm not sure what was seen on tv but I thought he did really well(granted this is the first time I've seen him play).

Charlie I'm not sure what you've been smoking but Hunt was superb at halfback and Broncos fans should be pleased that they've finally got a decent halfback.
Tate however,needs to dry those butterfingers of his.

Both captains appeared nervous,Thurston settled in but Lockyer never really did.
I'm very happy with our result and have high hopes for us this season.

Bomber

Bench
As mentioned somewhere on these forums already, we look like we have a bit of improvement left in us. I though Smith added a new dimension to our attack and took a lot of pressure off Thurston. That said, his defense was dusty and nearly cost us the game.

However, very very happy with 23-16 and like Cowgirl86, my hopes and aspirations for the Cows have been justified so far

Mind you, I said exactly the same thing after Round 1 last season.

Hard luck Brisbane, persevere with Hunt at halfback, you could have something special there. Carlaw had his best game ever. Petero was magnificent too, almost Larson-like.

Shorty

Staff member
I also forgot to say Sione was great,we bought good!
Hopefully he can behave himself.

Coaster

Bench
Did anyone see Thiaday and Webb go at each other all night.

Loved it.

Was like they were fighting over a half drunk bottle of wine.

McCrud

Juniors
What can I say?

Great game from both teams, I naturally was bummed as all get out that the Broncos lost, but I was very pleased with the overall quality of the match.

Great spectacle for RL, massive crowd - what a way to start the year!

Mr Saab

Referee
Charlie124 said:
LOL @ cutie at halfback, oh dear. from the comments on here he must have looked a hell of a lot better on TV than he did live, cos watching him from the stands he was dead set laughable appart from his solo try (which was basicly a fullbacks try). Hope he stays there.

I hope he stays there also.
Could have scored three tries, but ball security let him down.
For his 1st game @ 1/2 he played very well, but i guess for you, anything less than an Andrew Johns type game is a ranked as a failure.
As for the "fullbacks" try...WTF are you talking about?
Are there such things now as winger, centre, prop and lock tries?
Lay off the coke

Mr Saab

Referee
We all saw this from Bowen last yr.
Went great early on and then went down the toilet.
Hunt is 11 timets the player Bowen is.
I wont even begin to talk about that haircut of his. Looked like a bloody criminal

We all saw this from Bowen last yr.
Played with an ankle injury for most of the season.
Hunt is 11 timets the player Bowen is.
You keep telling yourself that charlie no 1... oh & he dropped the ball about 11 times
I wont even begin to talk about that haircut of his. Looked like a bloody criminal
Didn't seem to affect his game....you got nothing charlie if you are picking on his haircut.

So much for your Bowen can't defend ..... two on one ,has to stop turn & chase .. catches hunt in about 10 mtrs...& causes cutie to drop the ball when tackled....
You're really switched on charlie.... go back to the broncos forum & have a cutie love in with your delusional mate locky no 1.

Mr Saab

Referee
The only delusional one is yourself.
Played with an ankle injury....when was that inflicted? When Mason ran over him in origin one? His form went down the toilet after that.
You go on and on and on abotu how Hunt cant create for himself and that he needs Locky blah blah blah. Well Hunt went just fine at halfback for his 1st game. Created for himself and scored a fine try...could have made it three, but he had poor ball handling. That can be rectified.

badav

Bench
i havent read anything in this thread so far
but if bowen and thurston play like that on a regular basis, north queensland will finish top 4.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
If I was a Horse fan I'd be seriously dirty about their last play on the Cow's line. They even got a tackle restart.
Just standing around, passing back and forth waiting for the siren. Surely a kick in goal to force a dropout should've been the go.
The Cows should never have had the chance at another attacking opportunity.

well done to both cowboys and broncos fans, the crowd from tv seemed dynamic and vocal, imagine what it was like at the game

badav

Bench
i also wanted to say that tommy raudonikus and kevvy walters need to be part of the commentating team permanantly:lol: