What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos withdraw their offer to sign Melbourne Storm star Greg inglis

born an eel

Bench
What a joke. Weren't there rules in place to stop heavily front loading or back loading contracts?
it still has to be approved by the NRL, Gasnier's first contract to rejoin the dragons was knocked back as he there was a minimum he need to be paid towards last years cap reflecting a reasonable value relevant to the player he was/is.

Suitman

Post Whore
it still has to be approved by the NRL, Gasnier's first contract to rejoin the dragons was knocked back as he there was a minimum he need to be paid towards last years cap reflecting a reasonable value relevant to the player he was/is.

Well that's a joke.
What's to stop a club paying whatever that minimum is, and then happily forking out the fine for a small breach of the salary cap?

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
What a joke. Weren't there rules in place to stop heavily front loading or back loading contracts?

Not that I'm aware of, we're doing the same thing with current contracts apparently. Anyway Inglis signing with Souths is better than him joining the Broncos. Perhaps He'll stop being a canetoad from now on too ;-)

strider

Post Whore
so why is inglis allowed to sign somewhere for less than his Melbourne contract - wasn't that a proviso of them offloading players? .... do the NRL not give a sh*t any more?

inglis is officially a complete and utter merkin

Eels Dude

Coach
so why is inglis allowed to sign somewhere for less than his Melbourne contract - wasn't that a proviso of them offloading players? .... do the NRL not give a sh*t any more?

Whatever he signs for with whatever club, Melbourne have to make up the difference salary cap wise from my understanding.

mrpwnd

Bench

I thought it was obvious enough the moment he showed his ugly head in the first grade scene, at least he was just a mere merkin back then.
Now he's a greedy, lying and even uglier merkin.

PS. Fat too.

Suitman

Post Whore

The only provision was that Melbourne had to be under the cap for 2011.
It seems clear that they were paying massive overs for him and that no one else thinks he's worth $600 K'S.
He will now be paid what he is worth, and there is no obligation for any club to do otherwise, or so I believe.

Suity

The only provision was that Melbourne had to be under the cap for 2011.
It seems clear that they were paying massive overs for him and that no one else thinks he's worth $600 K'S.
He will now be paid what he is worth, and there is no obligation for any club to do otherwise, or so I believe.

Suity
i think half the team were on massive overs if you add in what they were getting under the table no other club will match that

boxhead

First Grade
I will laugh my head off at Souths fans acting like arrogant pricks on the forum if this article is any indication;

In response to a number of media enquiries regarding Greg Inglis, Melbourne Storm CEO, Mr Ron Gauci, would like to make the following statement:

“Greg Inglis remains a contracted player with Melbourne Storm and, in accordance with NRL rules, Melbourne Storm retains the right to determine who may be granted permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis,” Mr Gauci said.

“At this point in time, Melbourne Storm has not received any formal request from any club requesting permission to open contract negotiations with Greg Inglis.

“Melbourne Storm is open to any request, subject to conditions, by any club seeking permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis.

“A previous release had been granted to Greg Inglis in August only after the receipt of verbal and written representations by his management that the player would be responsible for the reconciliation of any outstanding expenses

“Melbourne Storm is disappointed that this matter has failed to be resolved due to the reneging of an agreement."

Sounds like the Storm haven't even agreed to let Souths negotiate with Inglis....if that is true they are absolute morons. If this article's vibe is anything to go by, Storm may very well block this deal; they have every right to, after GI decided he wouldn't sign a contract after being given a release on compassionate grounds.

Suitman

Post Whore
I will laugh my head off at Souths fans acting like arrogant pricks on the forum if this article is any indication;

Sounds like the Storm haven't even agreed to let Souths negotiate with Inglis....if that is true they are absolute morons. If this article's vibe is anything to go by, Storm may very well block this deal; they have every right to, after GI decided he wouldn't sign a contract after being given a release on compassionate grounds.

Why would they though, Boxy?
They have to dump him to get under the cap.
They aren't in any position to force him to stay.

Suity

boxhead

First Grade
Why would they though, Boxy?
They have to dump him to get under the cap.
They aren't in any position to force him to stay.

Suity

What I mean is that this Souths deal could be stopped dead in its tracks. Inglis can go elsewhere, the Storm are the ones that control that. What I'm getting at is that Souths have to be a-grade morons if they have basically signed a deal with Inglis and they haven't even asked permission to negotiate.

Forty20

First Grade
What I mean is that this Souths deal could be stopped dead in its tracks. Inglis can go elsewhere, the Storm are the ones that control that. What I'm getting at is that Souths have to be a-grade morons if they have basically signed a deal with Inglis and they haven't even asked permission to negotiate.

You aren't giving Inglis and Mundine enough credit, Boxy...

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Melbourne Storm statement – Greg Inglis
Written by: Storm Media
Nov 8, 2010 6:39pm
http://rleague.com/db/article.php?id=38017

In response to a number of media enquiries regarding Greg Inglis, Melbourne Storm CEO, Mr Ron Gauci, would like to make the following statement:

“Greg Inglis remains a contracted player with Melbourne Storm and, in accordance with NRL rules, Melbourne Storm retains the right to determine who may be granted permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis,” Mr Gauci said.

“At this point in time, Melbourne Storm has not received any formal request from any club requesting permission to open contract negotiations with Greg Inglis.

“Melbourne Storm is open to any request, subject to conditions, by any club seeking permission to negotiate with Greg Inglis.

“A previous release had been granted to Greg Inglis in August only after the receipt of verbal and written representations by his management that the player would be responsible for the reconciliation of any outstanding expenses

“Melbourne Storm is disappointed that this matter has failed to be resolved due to the reneging of an agreement

strider

Post Whore
Whatever he signs for with whatever club, Melbourne have to make up the difference salary cap wise from my understanding.

Yeh, that may be true. Only for the remaining year(s) of his Melbourne contract though.

Suity

yes - and reports are that he won't be getting 600K+ first year at souths - so I can't see how melbourne would suddenly be willing to make up the difference when they wouldn't before

I never liked inglis - but now i think he's one of the lowest sacks of sh*t in the nrl ..... he was on ch9 news last night with weidler hanging around mundine like a bad smell (both danny and inglis) - he came across as a self centred f**kwitt .... and it was like mundine's words were coming out his mouth - a dummy bill williams situation all over again

strider

Post Whore
the problem with the salary cap now, as i understand it, is that the NRL did their usual cave in and bent over backwards to accomodate cheating clubs by changing the rules on 3rd party contracts to allow the club to guarantee them ..... so souths can basically just come up with any bullsh*t 3rd party deal, real or not, and when it falls apart (cos it never had legs anyway) just have rusty fork over the cash