What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane II v The CC

Loudstrat

Coach
F*Ck me - a club can only survive up there with a sugar daddy. And they want to try another club in Brisbane?

Nightward

Juniors
Something something everyone hates the Broncos something Lang Park something something second team in Brisbane a garuanteed success.

Every time I hear someone arguing that they should put another team here I can only react one way: o_O

A second Brisbane team would fail, at least in the forseeable future. Contrary to accepted Sydney wisdom, the Broncos are not a hated club here, and so anyone who follows League in the area already has a team to follow. Introducing the Titans was enough to get anyone who would be willing to support a new team on board with them, but they still need to establish themselves more firmly.

Any new team in Queensland in the near term needs to be based out to the west. That is an area with a very strong League presence, but critical lack of NRL ties. Elevating the Comets to the NRL, for example, would be a much better way to go.

Loudstrat

Coach
Something something everyone hates the Broncos something Lang Park something something second team in Brisbane a garuanteed success.

Every time I hear someone arguing that they should put another team here I can only react one way: o_O

A second Brisbane team would fail, at least in the forseeable future. Contrary to accepted Sydney wisdom, the Broncos are not a hated club here, and so anyone who follows League in the area already has a team to follow. Introducing the Titans was enough to get anyone who would be willing to support a new team on board with them, but they still need to establish themselves more firmly.

Any new team in Queensland in the near term needs to be based out to the west. That is an area with a very strong League presence, but critical lack of NRL ties. Elevating the Comets to the NRL, for example, would be a much better way to go.
This.

The Titans must survive. There is no point creating new clubs unless they are going to survive, and the Titans need to survive AND be a strong club. It's not enough to have a strong Broncos unless other QLD sides are strong too, and in that seeing both the Cowboys and Titans in the finals is a great thing for not only Queensland by the NRL as a viable competition representing the strength of the code in regional Australia.

Regardless of the business acumen of Michael Searle and others in the Tians camp such as the Bellew family, it has to survive to prove that QLD can support another team. It beats me why they, and so many others who have tried, cannot make it happen.

East Coast Tiger said:
Any mong trying to link the Titans' situation with a potential second Brisbane club in any way wants shooting.
Good argument. Truth hurts?

If the Gold Coast, with its great location, abundant juniors, 400k + population, business links and potential in sponsorship struggle to survive, how can another SEQ side be guaranteed success?

Good argument. Truth hurts?

If the Gold Coast, with its great location, abundant juniors, 400k + population, business links and potential in sponsorship struggle to survive, how can another SEQ side be guaranteed success?
The only reason they are in ANY kind of trouble is because their owner spent their money on a pointless building.

If half the clubs in Sydney barely survive on Leagues Club grants why would the Bears "be guaranteed of success".

The Gold Coast is not Brisbane. If you want to compare clubs based on location why not compare a new Brisbane club with... a current Brisbane club. I know, because it doesn't suit the agenda.

t-ba

Post Whore
The only reason they are in ANY kind of trouble is because their owner spent their money on a pointless building.

If half the clubs in Sydney barely survive on Leagues Club grants why would the Bears "be guaranteed of success".

The Gold Coast is not Brisbane. If you want to compare clubs based on location why not compare a new Brisbane club with... a current Brisbane club. I know, because it doesn't suit the agenda.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the Titans aren't an apt comparison for a new Brisbane side when you lump the Bears in with Sydney clubs...Gosford isn't Sydney...

...And besides, the Titans also have made great efforts to capture support in Logan and Ipswich...

...Also, arguing that the Broncos are a point of comparison is a bit silly. The Broncos have ground all opposition in SEQLD to the floor until the Titans came.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the Titans aren't an apt comparison for a new Brisbane side when you lump the Bears in with Sydney clubs...Gosford isn't Sydney...

...And besides, the Titans also have made great efforts to capture support in Logan and Ipswich...

...Also, arguing that the Broncos are a point of comparison is a bit silly. The Broncos have ground all opposition in SEQLD to the floor until the Titans came.
But hang on, aren't the Bears trying to claim all of North Sydney in the catchment? The Titans don't claim a huge chunk of Brisbane in theirs.

The Titans have never ever claimed Logan as part of their area. Ipswich was only nominally part of their area because it is part of the QRL Southern Division, which also includes the Gold Coast.

And Brisbane is a better comparsion than the Gold Coast because... now here's the extraordinary bit.. they're from BRISBANE.

t-ba

Post Whore
But hang on, aren't the Bears trying to claim all of North Sydney in the catchment? The Titans don't claim a huge chunk of Brisbane in theirs.

The Titans have never ever claimed Logan as part of their area. Ipswich was only nominally part of their area because it is part of the QRL Southern Division, which also includes the Gold Coast.

And Brisbane is a better comparsion than the Gold Coast because... now here's the extraordinary bit.. they're from BRISBANE.

So, a second Brisbane side. Perhaps we should compare them to the Crushers then?

I wasn't aware that claiming a catchment in a region immediately made you from that region.

So, a second Brisbane side. Perhaps we should compare them to the Crushers then?

I wasn't aware that claiming a catchment in a region immediately made you from that region.
The Bears clowns claim anything they can to try and make their weak bid look better.

The Crushers would be one of the biggest clubs in the comp these days if they had survived the war. They average more than most clubs do now in the comp in their first year and even in 1997 when they were bottom of the ARL comp their crowd averages were more than South Sydney and almost as much as St George, even though they had no big derby game to boost the average and they were in a city where the only newspaper is owned by News Ltd and it did everything possible to kill them. That's just for starters. Anyone who thinks the Crushers were some kind of failure and disappeared as a result of that failure doesn't know much.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Bears clowns claim anything they can to try and make their weak bid look better.

The Crushers would be one of the biggest clubs in the comp these days if they had survived the war. They average more than most clubs do now in the comp in their first year and even in 1997 when they were bottom of the ARL comp their crowd averages were more than South Sydney and almost as much as St George, even though they had no big derby game to boost the average and they were in a city where the only newspaper is owned by News Ltd and it did everything possible to kill them. That's just for starters. Anyone who thinks the Crushers were some kind of failure and disappeared as a result of that failure doesn't know much.

Didn't the Titans pull 22k in their first season? Warriors 26K? Big first season averages mean diddly squat. The Crushers average was boosted by the fact the gates were opened for their last two clashes in 1997. Of Course, Super League affected this, And I have severe doubts as to whether the club would have been an outrageous success like some people think, but their loss was a tragedy.

However, immediately discounting their fate smacks of favourable revisionism on behalf of Brisbane #2 advocates, and trying to pretend that South East Queensland isn't a highly integrated market where the arrival of a new team won't have an impact on the current ones is a bit silly (It is treated as a single region by advertisers and most large businesses. Nor is the second Brisbane club being sold as something that only 'Brisbane' would be interested in). Just like the suggestion that Norths won't impinge on Sydney clubs.

I think a second Brisbane team is necessary, but I do think the Titans house needs to be put in order before it progresses. That could be as simple as getting Searle out of the way.

Didn't the Titans pull 22k in their first season? Warriors 26K? Big first season averages mean diddly squat. The Crushers average was boosted by the fact the gates were opened for their last two clashes in 1997. Of Course, Super League affected this, And I have severe doubts as to whether the club would have been an outrageous success like some people think, but their loss was a tragedy.

However, immediately discounting their fate smacks of favourable revisionism on behalf of Brisbane #2 advocates, and trying to pretend that South East Queensland isn't a highly integrated market where the arrival of a new team won't have an impact on the current ones is a bit silly (It is treated as a single region by advertisers and most large businesses. Nor is the second Brisbane club being sold as something that only 'Brisbane' would be interested in). Just like the suggestion that Norths won't impinge on Sydney clubs.

I think a second Brisbane team is necessary, but I do think the Titans house needs to be put in order before it progresses. That could be as simple as getting Searle out of the way.
What the f**k has the Titans situation got to do with whether a second Brisbane club will succeed? Will it affect the club's attendances? No. Will it affect their sponsorship? No. Will it afect their marketablility? No. Will it affect their ability to attract players? No. Will it affect TV figures? No. By no measure does the Titans situation have any bearing on a possible second Brisbane club and to try and link the two is just making shit up. The other stupid point about that attitude is that another Brisbane club would almost certainly benefit the Titans because it would be another big derby game for them.

Loudstrat

Coach

I dont recall any club in Sydney being on the point of recievership on their fourth attempt dipsh*t.

The Gold Coast isnt Brisbane, but it IS SEQ. You have nothing but "Brisbane is big - lets cut it in half". The point is that while the Broncos are doing fine - and good luck to them - no one else in SEQ has. Youl forget that the ony club to go belly up DURING the Super League war was the Crushers. Bragging about their crowds only emphasises the disaster.

As I said, what is the f*cking point in adding another team in that general market when the last one is struggling to survive? If the sponsorship and financial support is not there for the Titans, how will you find it for the Bombers?

Its not just juniors and potential crowds.

And it has nothing to do with Sydney or the Bears bid either you f*ckwit.

CC nutters hijacking another thread

what a surprise
Nice try gimp. It was actually East Coast Tiger who introduced the CC into this conversation by bagging it - learn to read before you post your paranoid rants next time.

Loudstrat

Coach
Why are you crapping on about the CC in a Titans thread?

The only CC nutcases here are you and ECT. There are plenty of shrinks around.Employ one and deal with your issues.