What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

MugaB

Coach
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I just get sick and tired of people playing the man instead of the ball because they have a different mindset.

I'm not against idea of giving the 18th licence to Perth or NZ 2. If they get it then I'll be happy for them.

My stance on Sydney is justified based on what happened to the BRL, Cowboys, Crushers, Chargers and Reds. The Cowboys and Reds were humstrung from day one by having to cover the flight and accommodation of all away teams that played in Townsville. It bankrupted the club. The stipulation was put in place at the behest of Sydney clubs. You cannot expect me to have any love for Sydney's over saturated RL market when it's the reason we're squabbling over three licences to right the wrongs they created around 30-35 years ago. As a Brisbane RL fan I'm sick of waiting for this wrong to be corrected.

@mongoose, you're not a passionate fan of Brisbane RL. You're just a Raiders fan who lives in Brisbane. Based on the posts you've made about Brisbane over the years I'm convinced you don't even like the place. You most definitely do not represent RL fans who were born and raised in Brisbane.
More bias potato counting, aren't you done yet?
Isn't there another rock to crawl back to, oh look someone posted a bring back logan scorpions thread, lets go over there hey

MugaB

Coach
Not sure how you've missed the arguments against a Brisbane3 club for club 18.

Basically to summarise whats been said:

1. Its too soon. Dolphins need a few years to make sure they are as solid as they currently look longer term
2. Its not a priority. With limited licenses the NRL should be looking to grow new markets, not just keep adding clubs to existing ones
3. Its not needed. With 3 SEQ teams already there is already choice for local RL fans of clubs to follow

I dont think anyones argued a Tigers owned club in the NRL wouldn't be sustainable or even successful. But the big question is are they needed?
Incorrect, there is no such thing as limited licenses, youve made that up

MugaB

Coach
In theory. However in the real world...
No not in theory... post me proof.... nope?
Then you've made it up, there was few years back folks saying the competition couldn't sustain 16 teams let alone 18... its all BS, as long as clubs themselves aren't taking the piss and buying dud rosters, then the comp can sustain many more teams... the whole limilted licenses is a figment of your imagination, its just a way to round off, 22 clubs can be done

Perth Red

Post Whore
No not in theory... post me proof.... nope?
Then you've made it up, there was few years back folks saying the competition couldn't sustain 16 teams let alone 18... its all BS, as long as clubs themselves aren't taking the piss and buying dud rosters, then the comp can sustain many more teams... the whole limilted licenses is a figment of your imagination, its just a way to round off, 22 clubs can be done
again in theory yes, but revenue and player talent isn’t infinite, let alone nrl appetite F pr growth.
And back in the real world it’s taken 21 years to admit two clubs.

Wb1234

Referee

1. Its too soon. Dolphins need a few years to make sure they are as solid as they currently look longer term
2. Its not a priority. With limited licenses the NRL should be looking to grow new markets, not just keep adding clubs to existing ones
3. Its not needed. With 3 SEQ teams already there is already choice for local RL fans of clubs to follow

I dont think anyones argued a Tigers owned club in the NRL wouldn't be sustainable or even successful. But the big question is are they needed?
You were one of the biggest fanboys on here for the firehawks

you literally said they only brought in the dolphins to protect the broncs

so surely then you would maintain your staunch support for them to enter the nrl ?

or not lol

MugaB

Coach

so surely then you would maintain your staunch support for them to enter the nrl ?

or not lol
Easts tigers dont count no more, ....there aren't any licences left

I know one thing for sure, the Broncos are not a northside club and never have been. They have support from all over the state including Logan. Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, they've just looked at Broncos Leagues club on a map and come to a misinformed conclusion.

I never said the Broncos don't have supporters from all over Queensland. They are also hated by a lot of people in Brisbane.

Didn't the Gemba Report find that the Cowboys have more support in Brisbane than the Titans?

Doesn't make the Cowboys a Brisbane club, does it?

So what's your reason for not supporting the Broncos?

You've lived in Brisbane since the 1990s, have you not?

Why do you continue to support Canberra?

Last edited:

I'm not convinced it's "too soon" to add a third team.

One of the arguments used against the Dolphins' inclusion was their isolated location on the northern outskirts of Brisbane. I remember @The Great Dane saying they'll be a "shitbox suburban club", or something to that effect. I recall him saying their inclusion would lead to a third and possibly a fourth club.

If all of the arguments against the Dolphins' inclusion are valid then why wait 10 or 15 years to add Brisbane three?

Waiting so long will give the Lions more time to build their fanbase in southern Brisbane.

Kevin Walters and the Brisbane Tigers don't believe it's too soon for a third team. Neither do Ch9.

Rugby league is basically Queensland vs NSW. A State of Origin game in Melbourne draws more attention to the sport in Victoria than a regular Melbourne Storm game. Adding a third team in Brisbane will help transfer the State of Origin rivalry to the NRL on a weekly basis. It's inevitable that one of Brisbane's three teams will be playing some one from Sydney on a weekly basis. That's a ratings bonanza for Ch9 and Foxtel. It ensures Lang Park has a game every week. When people come to Brisbane they'll see rugby league is head shoulders above fumbleball as the city's main sport.

I'm not saying we should place Brisbane 3 ahead of Perth. If a Perth consortium puts together a better bid than the Tigers then give the licence to Perth. We should be looking at this from a meritocratic viewpoint to ensure the most viable bid gets the licence.

Personally, I'd like the next three teams to be from NZ, Perth and Brisbane. I cannot see Adelaide being feasible any time within the next 20 years.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I remember @The Great Dane saying they'll be a "shitbox suburban club", or something to that effect. I recall him saying their inclusion would lead to a third and possibly a fourth club.
They are a shitbox suburban club no better than many of their counterparts in Sydney, and their inclusion has made more teams in Brisbane a necessity when it could have been a luxury with better planning. However that doesn't mean that it'd be a good idea to add another team in Brisbane so soon, in fact it's almost certainly a very bad idea.

In saying that, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a Brisbane/SEQ side get one of the next three licenses, in fact I think it depends entirely on News' opinion of the idea, and that it's reasonable odds of happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears and a PNG/Pasifika team get one either.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I never said the Broncos don't have supporters from all over Queensland. They are also hated by a lot of people in Brisbane.

Didn't the Gemba Report find that the Cowboys have more support in Brisbane than the Titans?

Doesn't make the Cowboys a Brisbane club, does it?

So what's your reason for not supporting the Broncos?

You've lived in Brisbane since the 1990s, have you not?

Why do you continue to support Canberra?
because I hate the f**king Broncos.

Lived in Canberra 'till I was about 16 then moved to Brisbane but the Green Machine stuck with me. Would never move back to Canberra, I think Brisbane shits all over it as far as being a good place to live. Would move to the sunshine coast if I could though...

I see the Broncos as a huge success and that is because they have had a whole city to attract fans from, not just a few suburbs. I don't think fragmenting Brisbane up into smaller and smaller catchments is a great idea and while I agree with you that Sydney has too many teams, it's not worth arguing for rationalisation because it's just not going to happen. Like it or not those Sydney clubs have all built up strong nationally recognized brands over many decades and this is very valuable to TV networks. Maybe unfair on Brisbane but you just gotta suck it up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

or not lol
I said they should have been Brisbane2, and the fact we are talking about Brisbane still needing them as Dolphins havent done what a Brisbane2 club should have justifies my position fully.

because I hate the f**king Broncos.

Lived in Canberra 'till I was about 16 then moved to Brisbane but the Green Machine stuck with me. Would never move back to Canberra, I think Brisbane shits all over it as far as being a good place to live. Would move to the sunshine coast if I could though...

I see the Broncos as a huge success and that is because they have had a whole city to attract fans from, not just a few suburbs. I don't think fragmenting Brisbane up into smaller and smaller catchments is a great idea and while I agree with you that Sydney has too many teams, it's not worth arguing for rationalisation because it's just not going to happen. Like it or not those Sydney clubs have all built up strong nationally recognized brands over many decades and this is very valuable to TV networks. Maybe unfair on Brisbane but you just gotta suck it up.

Can you understand why it's unreasonable and borderline insane to ask passionate BRL fans to "suck it up" and accept second-class status to Sydney?

For over 100 years the NSWRL clubs were privileged with all sorts of advantages over their BRL rivals. It began in 1908 when the NSWRU's best players jumped ship to the NSWRL. The QRU retained its talent pool. The QRL had to start from scratch. Queensland didn't become competitive in the interstate matches until the QRU died after WWI.

The legalisation of pokies in licenced venues by the NSW Gov in 1956 gave the Sydney clubs a huge financial advantage over their BRL rivals. Pokies were prohibited in Queensland until 1991. Not only did the legalisation of pokies in NSW lead to the BRL going bust, but for over 20 years Queensland lost its best players to the NSWRL. This denied Queensland a fair chance of competing under the old interstate residency rules.

You cannot expect Queenslanders from Brisbane to forget about all of this and let their clubs sink into irrelevancy just because you want the game to expand into new markets. It's as silly as expecting Sydney clubs to give up their place in the NRL for the sake of expansion.

The last thing the game can afford is to take Brisbane Rugby League fans' love of the game for granted. Treat us like second-class citizens and we will revolt. It's like a major political party pissing on its core voting base to appease people who will be highly unlikely to vote for them, then wondering why they've lost long-term voters to minor parties.

AFL is waiting in the wings to pick up disgruntled rugby league fans in SEQ. They've now got a huge war chest to fund it from 2025. Denying entry to the Brisbane Tigers for the sake of expanding into markets -- who quite frankly don't give a f**k about the game -- is a great way of provoking BRL fans into giving up the game for good. Queenslanders are parochial and don't take kindly to being treated like second-class citizens. Especially when the decision would be coming from head office in Sydney. Look at how cranky the Western Australians got when the Gabba was chosen over Perth Stadium to host the 2020 AFL GF.

TL;DR: Trying to shame passionate BRL fans into accepting second-class status will cause more harm than good.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I said they should have been Brisbane2, and the fact we are talking about Brisbane still needing them as Dolphins havent done what a Brisbane2 club should have justifies my position fully.
So you should back them into the nrl lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you should back them into the nrl lmao
I can see why the call for them because of the Dolphins, but we shouldn't need to use up a valuable license to cover for a f**k up mistake by Vlandys. Lets see how Dolphins go over next 4-5 years, remembering the Titans start up, then we can think if we really need Brisbane3. As it stands people in Brisbane now have 2 teams they can support. Adding a third seems largesse.

Not to mention at some point the game has to grow some and actually expand, not just keep adding teams in heartland cities because its the easy option.

Wb1234

Referee
I can see why the call for them because of the Dolphins, but we shouldn't need to use up a valuable license to cover for a f**k up mistake by Vlandys. Lets see how Dolphins go over next 4-5 years, remembering the Titans start up, then we can think if we really need Brisbane3. As it stands people in Brisbane now have 2 teams they can support. Adding a third seems largesse.

Not to mention at some point the game has to grow some and actually expand, not just keep adding teams in heartland cities because its the easy option.
Ah dolphins becoming another titans

bless

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ah dolphins becoming another titans

bless
Ah Wb unable to understand the context of a conversation, bless

There is a pretty strong history of new clubs coming in, having a first couple of seasons honeymoon period then dropping away. Maybe we need to see how the Dolphins go for a few seasons before adding a direct competitor to them straight away? You know like most good businesses would do!

mongoose

Coach
Can you understand why it's unreasonable and borderline insane to ask passionate BRL fans to "suck it up" and accept second-class status to Sydney?

For over 100 years the NSWRL clubs were privileged with all sorts of advantages over their BRL rivals. It began in 1908 when the NSWRU's best players jumped ship to the NSWRL. The QRU retained its talent pool. The QRL had to start from scratch. Queensland didn't become competitive in the interstate matches until the QRU died after WWI.

The legalisation of pokies in licenced venues by the NSW Gov in 1956 gave the Sydney clubs a huge financial advantage over their BRL rivals. Pokies were prohibited in Queensland until 1991. Not only did the legalisation of pokies in NSW lead to the BRL going bust, but for over 20 years Queensland lost its best players to the NSWRL. This denied Queensland a fair chance of competing under the old interstate residency rules.

You cannot expect Queenslanders from Brisbane to forget about all of this and let their clubs sink into irrelevancy just because you want the game to expand into new markets. It's as silly as expecting Sydney clubs to give up their place in the NRL for the sake of expansion.

The last thing the game can afford is to take Brisbane Rugby League fans' love of the game for granted. Treat us like second-class citizens and we will revolt. It's like a major political party pissing on its core voting base to appease people who will be highly unlikely to vote for them, then wondering why they've lost long-term voters to minor parties.

AFL is waiting in the wings to pick up disgruntled rugby league fans in SEQ. They've now got a huge war chest to fund it from 2025. Denying entry to the Brisbane Tigers for the sake of expanding into markets -- who quite frankly don't give a f**k about the game -- is a great way of provoking BRL fans into giving up the game for good. Queenslanders are parochial and don't take kindly to being treated like second-class citizens. Especially when the decision would be coming from head office in Sydney. Look at how cranky the Western Australians got when the Gabba was chosen over Perth Stadium to host the 2020 AFL GF.

TL;DR: Trying to shame passionate BRL fans into accepting second-class status will cause more harm than good.
blah blah blah.... seriously? you are holding grudges for things in the past you probably weren't even alive for. If you don't like the NRL then don't follow it or comment on it. There are not hordes of disgruntled League fans across Brisbane, you are in the minority.